What's new

Europa Park | Voltron | Mack Rides Stryker Coaster | 2024

Matt N

CF Legend
Certainly a strange move to discontinue the model, although I looked at Vekoma's website the other day and they don't show a number of models that RCDB says are still in production. For example, the only junior coaster Vekoma shows besides the Family Boomerang is the 335m model; no 207m, 247m, 85m or Custom models. Energylandia and numerous parks bought 247m models fairly recently, so the model is clearly still in production.

Perhaps Mack just want to emphasise different products, as someone else said.
Supposedly, the BigDipper coasters had structural issues which would explain why they were an unpopular model.
Where did you find this out, out of interest? I know that Lost Gravity allegedly hasn't aged too well according to some sources, but it still seems like a fairly well-received ride, and Dynamite looks cool!

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Where did you find this out, out of interest? I know that Lost Gravity allegedly hasn't aged too well according to some sources, but it still seems like a fairly well-received ride, and Dynamite looks cool!

Unfortunately, I forgot exactly who - however, I do remember that a Dutch coaster fan I met online back in 2017 informed me of this.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Unfortunately, I forgot exactly who - however, I do remember that a Dutch coaster fan I met online back in 2017 informed me of this.
Lost Gravity had to have some reinforcement added to the the bunny hop after the first drop because it was tearing itself to bits (I think that was within the first few seasons?), but I'm not aware of any other issues it's had since then. Did a very cursory Google search and couldn't find anything on this though.

I doubt that's why it's not being shown, though. My better guess would be that they're overhauling some part of the ride technology (or wrapping it into another coaster model?), and it's been removed for the short term so they can pull together the various resources.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
To be honest, I have never really liked the concept of Mack's BigDipper. For a company that produces expensive rides like Mack, this model offers a coaster with little capacity, which is hardly interesting for large parks that could potentially want one. Like, if you are a small park, you are bound to contact Gerstlauer for them to install a Eurofighter or an Infinity coaster for less money; if you are a larger park, you'd definitely want a much more impressive, high capacity ride, and that's where B&M's Dive Coaster come into play (even the junior ones). The BigDipper falls in the middle of these two and doesn't really target either properly.

As for the next big coaster project at Europa Park, weren't there rumours that the track system for Arthur was a sort of prototype to develop inverted track for larger installations? I would really like to see Mack investing in a big old-school inverted roller coaster. The last big inverter in Europe was the Raptor clone at Walygator, and before that Katun in 2000. Other than that, maybe Mack is interested in showcasing their Xtreme Spinner model in the park and will do so by building a ride like Time Traveller (minus the drop part) with multiple launches, possibly turntables, etc.

Either way, it's going to be big coaster, since their last thrilling one was Wodan back in 2012.

Peet

Giga Poster
I would really like to see Mack investing in a big old-school inverted roller coaster. The last big inverter in Europe was the Raptor clone at Walygator, and before that Katun in 2000.
Except for Nemesis Inferno, Batman la Fuga, Black Mamba and OzIris :p .

I agree an old school inverted coaster would be a perfect addition to EP's line-up, but I think the global market for them is limited now because there are already so many B&M and Vekoma ones so I can't see Mack investing in developing their own version.
Maybe an extreme spinning inverted coaster could work, it would be something completely new at least.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
By the way... the BigDipper model is back at Mack Rides website. With photos of Dynamite... https://mack-rides.com/products/rollercoaster/bigdipper/
Hahaha! Here comes my wild hypothesis: They did a website upgrade/redesign and the BigDipper page just got missed off the menu. I bet if you'd have gone directly to that page (having known the URL) it would have come up. Maybe @CrashCoaster's message was enough of a prompt for them to spot it! :p

Just need them to update their calagoue now (dated 2015)...

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Except for Nemesis Inferno, Batman la Fuga, Black Mamba and OzIris :p .

I agree an old school inverted coaster would be a perfect addition to EP's line-up, but I think the global market for them is limited now because there are already so many B&M and Vekoma ones so I can't see Mack investing in developing their own version.
Maybe an extreme spinning inverted coaster could work, it would be something completely new at least.
By big I mean running 3 trains. I am well aware of the other B&M inverters in Europe.

Georgie-M

Mega Poster
I bet if you'd have gone directly to that page (having known the URL) it would have come up. Maybe @CrashCoaster's message was enough of a prompt for them to spot it! :p
That's the bizzare thing, the page was just gone, even when directly linking to it. Guess they found it easier to completely take it down while they worked on updating it.

SDaniel

Roller Poster
The extreme spinner is there newest, but they have some outer new-ish types of coasters like the Big dipper, power splash and hyper coaster.

Personally i would like them to go for a Mack hyper like DC rivals, a real stand out coaster. They all ready have a spinner and while extreme spinner is different i would prefer a hyper, or maybe they have another prototype in the works.

Oh they could get a power splash, they need a water coaster right ;)
Europapark has plenty of water attractions!

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ Dude, you can reply to multiple posts in one post, I'm not trying to moderate but please try to avoid double/triple posting as it makes it a lot more difficult to read forums.

On the topic though, I don't think they'll replace Euromir, it's kind of iconic. I see them retracking it, but not replacing it. Poseidon is the same, too. This new area and coaster will be behind Greece, so so coaster will have to be torn down for this. I also doubt think it will be a Big Dipper nor an Extreme Spinner, didn't the park confirm it would be something new?