What's new

ENSO; “Icon with a twist” opening at Blackpool Pleasure Beach in 2022

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
Yes. That's a very good point - I'm no expert, but could the seats simply be transferred elsewhere on the train, else those of a larger... carriage are forced into the spinning option? I believe the disabled line automatically feeds into the back row as well, though that's more easily resolved.
As a disabled, in my experience - once you're through the gate the staff don't give a toss where on the train you sit. I'm sure they're supposed to like at Merlin parks but I've been on every seat on Icon at this point. It's a very tight squeeze through that gate into the queue so maybe that'll work in my favour and I'll be able to sneak onto the new seats. The staff just aren't on the ball there. Most of my last trip we were actually shown to the front row on some coasters because they didn't check if we were disabled or fast pass. Was a great day!

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
The VIP offer is… odd. Considering the standard ticket is a ‘virtual wait’ (during which you can do anything else), I can’t really see any advantage of booking the VIP ticket at all 🤷‍♂️

witchfinder

Giga Poster
£15 - standard ticket. You virtually wait the length of the queue of Icon
£25 - VIP ticket. You only wait 10% of the queue time for Icon
Well that's me out :D

I'm not sure they've really thought this through every well in terms of managing capacity. Imagine you arrive at park opening and Icon has a 10 minute queue. 20 people buy the £15 ticket and they all have to wait 10 minutes before they can in the queue for Enso. You then have 20 people all arriving at the same time to get on the ride, but it will take 10 cycles of the Enso train before they all get to ride. In the meantime the normal Icon queue is still only 10 minutes and another 20 people have bought the tickets... You can see how this is going to cause a problem can't you? Surely the correct solution is booking time slots throughout the day to ride?

Sandman

Giga Poster
I think BPB have really misjudged this addition.

Back when the traditional ticketed system was in place, this could have been a thing.

But it sort of contradicts their whole effort to move away from that, and onto paid entry / wristband to ride access.

The GP won't bite in my opinion.

When money is tight enough as it is, and you've just forked out as a family to get into the park (baring in mind that even non-riders/parents still need an eTicket), it's likely going to frustrate guests that the newest addition (if you can even call it that) comes at a fairly substantial extra cost. Substantial for many of the families that visit BPB at least. Oh yeah, and you're still going to have to queue.

Even diehard fanboys are begrudgingly admitting it'll be a one and done experience.

I reckon it'll last a couple of seasons at most.

And, I've not even touched on the potential throughput issues.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
There's no chance I'm paying that. Mack spinners suffer from "great ride roulette" as I like to call it, and this is on one of the worst Macks around. I'm not paying that kind of money for a chance of a slightly better ride.
Of course there will be people that do, but imagine if there are empty seats 😂

witchfinder

Giga Poster
Of course there will be people that do, but imagine if there are empty seats 😂
I'm absolutely certain there will be on quiet days. Maybe they won't even run it on those days, or lock the seats into a forward-facing position so people can't get a spinny ride for free :D

emoo

Hyper Poster
Shame this isn't a a world where a whole 3rd train could be converted to spin for all to enjoy. Not that it was ever implied but wouldn't that be nice.

I expected to shell out so not overly surprised. But really? They may get a 2 and done out of me as I don't thankfully have to count the pennies like I used to have to. But I can't imagine either ride being good enough to be satisfied. Also I likely won't visit again until it's gone.

Happy it's only on one train so the normal back row is still an option. But surely that will add to the wait time for that.

Also, FYI, 12 euros for a reverse back row on the updated Tonnerre de Zeus.

Also, 14 rides on Happiness for one park ticket, more if I could have handled it was the best. just saying. Thanks @Nicky 😎

Sandman

Giga Poster
Also, FYI, 12 euros for a reverse back row on the updated Tonnerre de Zeus.

As much as I loathe upcharges, at least with backward seats you are guaranteed to get a different perspective.

Imagine paying £25.00 for Enso and essentially experiencing the entire ride forward facing, with little spin (which can sometimes happen).

You'd feel so ****ing mugged off 😂😂😂

Matt N

CF Legend
Well, we won't have to wait too long until we have one of the best Macks around at least.
Funnily enough, I seem to remember people saying similar things about Icon before it opened… I remember that literally being the UK’s VelociCoaster in terms of hype levels, if not higher. However, Icon’s reception ended up being far more muted in the long term than VelociCoaster’s… that thing is still getting crazy praise not far off a year after opening! Whereas Icon’s didn’t really seem to last beyond the first few weeks after opening… as much as I love Icon to bits, I’ll admit that I’m in the definite minority there.

What is it people dislike so much about Icon, out of interest?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
However, Icon’s reception ended up being far more muted in the long term than VelociCoaster’s… that thing is still getting crazy praise not far off a year after opening! Whereas Icon’s didn’t really seem to last beyond the first few weeks after opening…
Sounds about right. :D

Luca B

Mega Poster
Funnily enough, I seem to remember people saying similar things about Icon before it opened… I remember that literally being the UK’s VelociCoaster in terms of hype levels, if not higher. However, Icon’s reception ended up being far more muted in the long term than VelociCoaster’s… that thing is still getting crazy praise not far off a year after opening! Whereas Icon’s didn’t really seem to last beyond the first few weeks after opening… as much as I love Icon to bits, I’ll admit that I’m in the definite minority there.

It’s a great ride but nothing too outstanding. I think it’s just a matter of UK enthusiasts overhyping the ride and expecting too much of a family-thrill coaster.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster

Icon is fine, a fun ride, but it’s just not on the same scale as Velocicoaster.

Watch this:

Then this:

🤷‍♂️

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
If Velocicoaster is the bar that you’ve set for greatness then man, most launch coasters are kinda underwhelming and pretty lame.
Velocicoaster is not ‘the bar’, it’s just so above ‘the bar’ that it’s not surprising that its praise is notably louder, more unanimous and longer in duration compared to the praise received by Icon.

Gazza

Giga Poster
It has been confirmed that Enso will only be on one of Icon's three trains. Due to the limited capacity, it is - unsurprisingly - an upcharge.

£15 - standard ticket. You virtually wait the length of the queue of Icon
£25 - VIP ticket. You only wait 10% of the queue time for Icon

I guess £15 is comparable to Steel Taipan's spinning seat, although that doesn't have much of a wait to get on I believe?

I get the reason for the upcharge. But even though it's a pretty unique experience, it's just so expensive considering you can literally experience spinning launched coasters at other parks included in the park ticket.

Source from the horse's mouth: https://www.blackpoolpleasurebeach.com/icon/
This seems so asinine.

Why make everyone wait through the main queue? Enso riders have no intention and accessing the normal seats and normal riders are not occupying the spinning seats, so there is no operation reason to have two disparate groups queueing together.

Literally seems like they are artificially making a longer wait time so people shell out for the VIP ticket.

On both DC Rivals and steel taipan there is a dedicated lane for the backwards/spinning seats and booked timeslots and you get on with minimal wait.

If bpb are insistent on having a VIP option, clearly most logical thing to do would be to have a dedicated enso entrance and queue, and have a little lane to the side for VIP riders in that.
Keep it entirely separate from the main queue.

rob666

Hyper Poster
You want logic from the Beach???
Been going for fifty years, logic went out the window when they scrapped the Reel.
That station is on the cramped side of small, there is no space at all for a separate queueline, it is going to get very messy in there!

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
@rob666 - Enso riders don’t wait and travel through the main queue literally. They wait for the same amount of time virtually.

I’m expecting they will have separate physical queues - it doesn’t make sense otherwise… How could a virtual queue require you to wait through the main standby queue?

rob666

Hyper Poster
I know that, I read all the guff, but it will still be chaos.
Where exactly are you going to fit the extra queueline in a station that has zero spare space?
How will you juggle two different sets of back seat riders, speedypass, disabled access, and a regular queue in a narrow corridor with only space for 2 lines?
Where are the lard lad seats going to go?
So many questions...
It is going to get messy in there.