What's new

ENSO; “Icon with a twist” opening at Blackpool Pleasure Beach in 2022

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Whatever it is I'm not looking forward to it... Icon is fine as it is (unless they are removing the seatbelts of course).

Matt N

CF Legend
For what it’s worth, Enso is apparently Japanese for circle… that heavily hints towards at very least a spinning car to me.

I’ll admit I’m not quite sure what to think if it is a spinning car; I’m not personally the biggest fan of spinning coasters, and I love Icon as is, but on the other hand, both of the Mack XTREME Spinners have received almost universally rave reviews, considerably more so than Icon. It would also give the ride an element of marketability that it perhaps lacks; it would make Icon break all of the UK’s spinning coaster records, and it would also be phenomenally different to anything else in the country.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Icon has a Japanese garden vibe going on, right?

Enso in Japanese means Chlorine - according to Google:
9gDfmiK.png

Another fountain...?

Will

Strata Poster
^
That's just made my day :D

...with regard for what will probably happen, see the opinion I recently posted in the 'going backwards' thread.
Not that it would hurt to liven Icon up a bit.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I mean everything points to spinning cars being added to Icon. BUT I thought the size of those cars was huge, and the clearances of Icon in points is very tight in places, so I'm a little bit surprised it's feasible.

But yeah, if that's what's happening, curse you Blackpool for making me intrigued enough to re-visit. But also well done Blackpool for two interesting additions for 2022...

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
I always thought since Mack announced the Hybrid Train that Pleasure Beach would want to offer a unique addition like this to Icon

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
wouldn't spinning cars require huge modifications to the track and station layout to accommodate
To second that, will they add another car onto the end of the current trains or reduce the numbers on the trains from 16 to 12 then with the two on the Hybrid Train on the back. Unless Mack have made it back to back seating maybe.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Well, it’s clear they are adding spinning trains or cars, Icon with a ‘TWIST’ surely can’t be anything else 🤷🏻‍♂️ As excited to see how they pull it off as I am to try it :)

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
wouldn't spinning cars require huge modifications to the track and station layout to accommodate
especially the magnetic launches which could be uncomfortable going backwards

could icon get something to do with VR?
The hybrid train is purposely designed to be retrofitted on to any Mack coaster with standard sit down trains (mega, launched, hypers). The video shows the concept being tested on Blue Fire - they simply swapped out the last car of one train and tested it that evening. No other work was done to the ride or station.