What's new

Energylandia | Abyssus | Vekoma Shockwave+ | 2021

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
So I rode this today, it’s very tame, not at all what I’d hoped for, but is still a very solid addition to the park’s lineup. The first section is very slow, with a weak launch and kind of forceless layout apart from the drop / hill into the second launch. The second launch is a bit more forceful but think Mack rather than Intamin. However the second half of the layout has a good mixture of forces and is great fun.

The area is nice, but it definitely shows that it’s unfinished. Half of the pools below the coaster are not yet filled which kind of spoils that effect. It will be much better next year 🤞

The most positive news is that the queue line is not a ridiculously long walk!!! Of course Energylandia have made up for this by (temporarily) forcing you to walk all the way through dragon zone and circle all the way back on yourself to get to the coaster… Hopefully this changes with Sweet Valley’s opening.

pvnks

Mega Poster
So I rode this today, it’s very tame, not at all what I’d hoped for, but is still a very solid addition to the park’s lineup. The first section is very slow, with a weak launch and kind of forceless layout apart from the drop / hill into the second launch. The second launch is a bit more forceful but think Mack rather than Intamin. However the second half of the layout has a good mixture of forces and is great fun.

The area is nice, but it definitely shows that it’s unfinished. Half of the pools below the coaster are not yet filled which kind of spoils that effect. It will be much better next year

The most positive news is that the queue line is not a ridiculously long walk!!! Of course Energylandia have made up for this by (temporarily) forcing you to walk all the way through dragon zone and circle all the way back on yourself to get to the coaster… Hopefully this changes with Sweet Valley’s opening.
That's a bloody shame Nick, where else can I do my Olympic speed-walking training?

emoo

Hyper Poster
After all the anticipation for Abyssus and this new Vekoma in general, its a shame/surprise the ride doesn't review as well as Lech. But good to know its still a good ride. Themeing inconsistencies aside...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
You summed it up pretty well. It's naff, really.

The launches are a bit lackluster, and whilst the layout is decent it's a bit same-y and not really taken fast enough to make up for it. In Vekoma's credit, it's fantastically smooth and flows very well, and the trains are very comfortable.

Lech (and even Formula) pack an awful lot more into a shorter ride.

It's not helped by only being half finished theming-wise. The lack of water in the troughs is really noticeable once you're on the ride and the trenches themselves are bare concrete. The fact the maintenance building just has some theming tat stuck to the side is hideous.

The land itself is okay, everything looks pretty decent albeit everything is very "big square box".

Overall, it's alright. It's great to see Energylandia making an effort now, but it's clearly their first true foray into a themed land. Don't go in expecting Phantasialand/Europa Park, maybe think more Six Flags for now. They're heading in the right direction, but they've got a long way to come...

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
You summed it up pretty well. It's naff, really.

The launches are a bit lackluster, and whilst the layout is decent it's a bit same-y and not really taken fast enough to make up for it. In Vekoma's credit, it's fantastically smooth and flows very well, and the trains are very comfortable.

Lech (and even Formula) pack an awful lot more into a shorter ride.

It's not helped by only being half finished theming-wise. The lack of water in the troughs is really noticeable once you're on the ride and the trenches themselves are bare concrete. The fact the maintenance building just has some theming tat stuck to the side is hideous.

The land itself is okay, everything looks pretty decent albeit everything is very "big square box".

Overall, it's alright. It's great to see Energylandia making an effort now, but it's clearly their first true foray into a themed land. Don't go in expecting Phantasialand/Europa Park, maybe think more Six Flags for now. They're heading in the right direction, but they've got a long way to come...
Hit the nail on the head!

The area is so close to feeling world class that it hurts, but something is missing. I think the construction, and strange layout because of it, has a lot to answer for, as well as it’s incompleteness.

One thing to note though is the landscaping at the front of the main park is really starting to mature now, as we all said it would… The park itself, is now looking as beautiful as any other park in Europe in most areas, with some work still to do in others, and in my opinion is really starting to be one of the best in Europe. I’ll attach some pictures of the more mature landscaping at the front when I get home for those who’ve not visited in the last year or 2.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Oh for sure. I was expecting the park to be much worse than it was. It really was rather pleasant in most places! I expected a lot more gravel!

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Went on this yesterday.

Ehhhh 🤷‍♂️

Went on this after beers and a terrible night sleep, survived RMF Dragon and Zadra then boarded this - two of us immediately died (the other died after Zadra). I was going to write it off to beers but I felt similarly queasy after my second ride in the afternoon.

The coaster subjects you to positive forces and just sort of goes on. With the queasiness I thought it sort of outstayed it’s welcome - never came across that on a coaster before. Nor was it as compelling as Lech.

Wasn’t really sure what to make of it tbh. Sort of made me question my commitment to the coaster quest…. That can’t be a good thing!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Went on this yesterday.

Ehhhh 🤷‍♂️

Went on this after beers and a terrible night sleep, survived RMF Dragon and Zadra then boarded this - two of us immediately died (the other died after Zadra). I was going to write it off to beers but I felt similarly queasy after my second ride in the afternoon.

The coaster subjects you to positive forces and just sort of goes on. With the queasiness I thought it sort of outstayed it’s welcome - never came across that on a coaster before. Nor was it as compelling as Lech.

Wasn’t really sure what to make of it tbh. Sort of made me question my commitment to the coaster quest…. That can’t be a good thing!
Fair assessment… Not at all the coaster we’d hoped it would be is it?

Such a shame…

Still it’s better than anything the UK has had recently or is getting soon 🙈

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Great news @FOMO Coaster reports that the reason Aqualantis is closed during the Christmas event this year is because they're finally finishing the theming of the area. With work already begun on the Disco theming!!!

Of 3 the things I most wanted to see fínished, the Disco is up there at the top, it just looked stupid with empty framework and 'footers for nothing.' The rest of the list goes like this...

1) Disco theming
2) Entrance portal / archway from Dragon Zone
3) Fill the rest of the water lakes under Abyssus (I know they're not 'all' meant to be filled, but some of the ones currently sat empty clearly are supposed to be, as they have all of the plumbing!)

Finish those 3 and I'll be a very happy bunny, any more would just be an added bonus.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
^^ 4) Building caves for Grotto Expedition attractions :)

Tidal Wave Twister theming:
If they do build caves for it, will you still get the great views of the Light Explorer travelling through the gate?

Honestly, the only reason I ride Grotto every visit is in hopes of getting that perfectly timed photo!