What's new

Election 2010!

Slayed

Hyper Poster
At long last the time draws near, with an election expected to be called next week ready for May 6th.

I love elections, and this one looks likely to be a real bum-squeaker, with a genuine possibility of a hung parliament!

So, what are you thinking? Are you looking forward to voting? Anyone you want to get rid of? Is there a topic that's make or break for you?

Personally, I've had much more than I can take of Gordon Clown, a man I did not vote into power, and his Cirque du Freak. What they've done to civil liberties in this country angers me immensely.

The government quietly slipped-in a new law last week, as part of the "Budget", to allow HMRC to intercept and read your mail without telling you - in case you're "smuggling tobacco in the post".

This is on top of a new law being rushed through before the election to cut-off your internet if you download anything that the Music/Film/IT Industry thinks you shouldn't (with no redress).

Plus I now need to be fully certified just to give the neighbour's kids a lift, on top of the CRB checks I've done for doing charity work, because the world is full of paedos apparently. On top of having to be subject to and pay for a biometric ID card that WILL NOT BLOODY WORK if they get back in.

Not to mention the DNA profile of totally innocent adults and children being kept illegally. Or the blind eye turned to BT when they wanted to monitor all your internet browsing and target advertising at you (again, illegally). Or their desire to keep people in detention for months on end with abosultely no proof.

And don't forget, this same government tried to make it illegal to TELL A RELIGIOUS JOKE, ffs.

New Labour = New Stasi. Civil liberties? Who needs them? :x

Yeah, Labour are terrible but I really don't know who I'm going to vote for, I mean, they are all terrible but Labour definitely needs to be booted out, they've messed the country up enough. Hmm, is the monster raving loony party still going? :p

My problem is deciding on the lesser of two evils, because let's face it, when are the Lib Dems ever going to be in power. :lol:

On one hand we have Nu Labor, who have gone back on most of their election promises since 1997, increased the cost of Health Care and the time it takes to receive it, finished privitising the railways, introduced Student "top-up fees", given us an unelected Prime-minister, led us into a war we weren't prepared for, nor are we still.
And on the other, Mr Cameron and his smug shining face, the happy family man (bet you his wife is just stuffing a cushion up there) and possibly the most shady, tax dodging bunch of MP's out there.

My mind is nowhere near made up, but it would be a damn lot simpler if that one-eyed scottish git would **** off. He's like the kid in school that just doesn't understand that everybody hates him!

^Loving the posters :p.

tks said:
My problem is deciding on the lesser of two evils, because let's face it, when are the Lib Dems ever going to be in power. :lol:
Ah, but that's the thing - with a hung parliament, they might well be!

I'd be very happy to see Vince Cable as Chancellor, he wiped the floor with that floppy Tory ****er Osborne in the live TV debate last night.

I'm old enough to have seen both Labour and Tory governments (Thatcher stole my free milk, the bitch!). They usually start off well (most of the decent stuff from the current government, like the Minimum Wage and independent interest rates, happpened at the start), then lose it as the power goes to their heads.

I don't trust the Tory bench this time, it's full of lightweights. And their stated intent to minimise spending cuts in the short term is clear bollocks.

On the other hand, Labour reckon they can suddenly make billions from efficiency savings straight away with little impact. Really? What the **** have you been doing for 13 years then?

The UK is now in as much relative debt as Greece. It's bad, the immediate future looks rough, so PLEASE get rid of the projects we no longer need - Trident and ID Cards being the obvious examples which will save billions.

Uh, what's a hung government? It sounds like something I could VERY much get on board with...

^EDIT: Dang, beaten by Lain! :p

^^It's when no single party wins enough seats to have a majority over all the other parties.

There are 650 seats in the House of Commons, so a party needs to win at least 326 to get a majority.

If it IS hung, then usually a deal is made to between 2 or more parties to govern together to get the majority. Obviously Labour and the Tories would never work together, and the Lib Dems are the next biggest party - it all depends on how the seats work out.

At the last election in 2005, the result was:-

Seats Won
Labour .............356
Conservative...198
Lib Dem............62

% of Vote
Labour .............35.3%
Conservative...32.3%
Lib Dem............22.1%

(Note the discrpancy between "% of Vote" and "Seats Won" - welcome to our rigged electoral system!)

Today's poll (it changes constantly) shows:-

Conservative...39%
Labour .............32%
Lib Dem............18%

The Conservatives need a lead of about 10% to get a majority of 20 seats.

Thing is they each of the parties has a few good MP's, and all have a few good arseholes! Now if I was to vote for anyone on my political beliefs I would say Tory, but because of Mr PR Cameron I don't want to, as I feel he's acting more left wing then what he should be.

I would welcome a hung parliament, long as Nick Clegg is kept in the corner as he is in Parliament! I really really hope Lord Adonis is kept if there is a hung parliament

Slayed said:
^Why, what were you expecting! Maybe you were being facetious and I missed it...

I think he was hoping that the majority of politicians would be hanged :p

My political views are still the same as ever - it doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always get in.

I do vote actually, that way I can complain when things don't turn out the way I like - however, I don't have any strong political leanings other than "they're all a bunch of bastards".

Slayed said:
Note the discrpancy between "% of Vote" and "Seats Won" - welcome to our rigged electoral system!

Nope! That would be the "first past the post" system... ;)

Silly Slayed!

Other than your clear political paranoia, I agree with you on the Cable issue - the man's clearly the best economist out there atm. Hung Parliament ftw.

Now that's been dealt with. I shan't be voting - as I don't agree sufficiently enough with any of the "big 3" to want to vote for them. Any other vote is a wasted one unfortunately.

I'll still be watching though (also means I can moan no matter the result, as whoever gets in - I didn't vote for them! :lol: ).

Labour. Conservative are ****ing jokers (Cameron is an actor not a politician, Orsbourne is a ****ing crooked weasel). Whilst I don't necessarily like Labour, I prefer them vastly to Conservatives and tbh any other vote is a wasted one.

Smithy said:
tbh any other vote is a wasted one.

As Stonecold will tell you, it isn't.

If you vote for somebody else, it shows that the main parties aren't doing enough to distinguish themselves. A vote for somebody else is a much stronger show of displeasure than no vote.

A no vote can simply be cast aside as "apathy" (or pure laziness). To actually go out and make the effort to vote for a no-hoper, it shows that you're disillusioned with the main three parties and are willing to make an effort to show it.

Surely it's better to use your vote to make a point, rather than support "the least evil"?

Because there's more chance of Labour stopping Conservative getting in than there is Lib Dem, or any other small party.

There's no parties that appeal to me either, so it's the lesser of two evils really.

Neal said:
Nope! That would be the "first past the post" system... ;)
Mais non!

I refer to the way that incumbent governments always fiddle the constituency boundaries to favour themselves at the expense of their opponents. They all do it, and Labour are no exception.

Hence the Tories (and others) will have to get a higher percentage of the vote than Labour, just to get an equivalent number of seats. It really is rigged as much as they can get away with!

I do have issues with FPTP, but then I also have issues with PR and its chosen variants.

[GEEK ALERT]That's why I invented an entirely new and in my view much better electoral process :p. It's now filed away in the Department of Constitutional Affairs; I got a letter from Harriet Harman, woo :roll:.

Neal said:
I shan't be voting
Boo! Go and spoil the paper, or vote Loony, or something - but don't ignore your right to vote, stand up & be counted. You know the history, it's too important :).

Yeah please vote if you can, I can't be arsed with more drivel aimed at first time voters who don't vote.

Maybe it's because they spend all their time through higher education being told how crooked and corrupt each opposing party is based on what the lecturers beliefs are.

Haha - you know me too well. I WOULD vote Loony, but the ONLY alternative we have to the big 3 in my constituent is BNP and I'm not THAT racist ;)