What's new

Efteling | Spookslot Replacement | Intamin Dynamic Motion Stage | 2024

JoshC.

Strata Poster
It's been announced today that Efteling will close Spookslot this summer, with plans for a new €25m indoor attraction to replace it in 2024:

Just to cherrypick a particular quote:
The Spookslot was, if we are very honest, maybe ten years ago no longer of this time

The article also confirms the new hotel will also open in 2024, and be a €50m investment. It will have 7 floors, 143 rooms, 2 restaurants and a spa, and be located next to the park entrance, as shown in recent concept art.

For comparison with other hotels: The Bosrijk holiday park cost €52m and Loonsche Land cost €30m, but they also include a wide range of outdoor stuff too, which the new hotel might not have.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

Heth

Mega Poster
I'm very sad that Spookslot is closing, as it's a charmingly naff attraction that I've always enjoyed. Although my first trip was I'm 2013 when I was 22, it still felt nostalgic.

Knortie307

Roller Poster
The planned expansion is put on hold because of the downtime of the park due to covid ( lack of income) so they put the money into renewing the existing park. i think it will be some new kind of darkride....

Ethan

Strata Poster
Yeah, it's a shame it's closing as I think there is something very charming about it. But I did think the waiting area/viewing areas had aged horribly when I visited last, so I get why it's getting the wrecking ball treatment.

Hopefully the new ride keeps a similar Anton Pieck style.

nadroJ

CF Legend
That is extremely exciting but as others have mentioned, it's sad too. Efteling is full of that old 'weird European theme park' stuff, of which Spookslot is a prime example. I loved taking people in there for the first time purely for the 'wtf?!' reaction. I do hope that whatever replaces it is equally spooky in theme. I'm sure whatever it is will be stunning.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Sad times, I thought this was a cool quirky attraction that said a lot about the park. But it's super old and takes up a surprising amount of space. Shame it couldn't be moved and updated with some new effects.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I thought I knew Efteling pretty well, big fan of it I am.
But I have no clue what Spookslot is. So I'm fine with this.

Will

Strata Poster
Despite having my mouth full, I let out an audible 'NOOOOO!' upon reading the topic title.

Obviously a new attraction and investment is great news, but I feel like it could have gone somewhere else :(

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I like the idea of Spookslot, but honestly I found it a little underwhelming. As a unique attraction to visit as a one off, I can appreciate it. I can't say I have any real desire to check it out a second time.

As long as it gets replaced with something else that's suitably atmospheric, I'm on board. Efteling can do a lot better these days.

Matt N

CF Legend
I heard a rumour online that the ride is apparently being replaced with an Intamin Ultra Tower themed to a villain from the Symbolica universe. Take that with a pinch of salt, but that’s just what I’ve heard.

If you don’t know what an Intamin Ultra Tower is: https://www.intamin.com/product/ultra-tower/

And a video:

I’ve got to say, I think this would be a great addition; I think the ride concept looks really cool, and I think it would be totally different to anything else at Efteling, from what I can gather!

Out of interest, what was Spookslot?

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I always thought Spookslot would have benefitted from being a ride..... stick a doombuggie style conveyance system through it.

I hope they replace it with something spooky - a 'traditional' ghost house ride would be wonderful for Efteling and Europe, as no large scale ghost train has opened since 1992 when the Haunted house opened at Alton and Phantom Manor opened at DLP!..... It would be great to see what Efteling would do with this type of attraction, considering Efteling replaced Python......with Python, replacing a ghost house with a ghost house is within Efteling's remit for sure!

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
I heard a rumour online that the ride is apparently being replaced with an Intamin Ultra Tower themed to a villain from the Symbolica universe. Take that with a pinch of salt, but that’s just what I’ve heard.

If you don’t know what an Intamin Ultra Tower is: https://www.intamin.com/product/ultra-tower/

And a video:

I’ve got to say, I think this would be a great addition; I think the ride concept looks really cool, and I think it would be totally different to anything else at Efteling, from what I can gather!

Out of interest, what was Spookslot?
God I hope not

Will

Strata Poster
Just me that likes the idea of that tower ride given the Efteling treatment then?
I feel like they're one of few parks that could take that idea and do something pretty special with it, but I'll see myself out :)

Matt N

CF Legend
Just me that likes the idea of that tower ride given the Efteling treatment then?
I feel like they're one of few parks that could take that idea and do something pretty special with it, but I'll see myself out :)
I'm with you @Will; I'll admit that I've always liked the look of that ride system, and while I'll admit that it may not look like a natural fit for Efteling on the face of it, I think the likes of Symbolica have shown that Efteling have both the money and the drive to pull off something really special!

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I know what you mean [about Spookslot], it definitely goes on for about 7 minutes too long...
Yeah, between the waiting outside, then waiting for everyone to enter, and then the attraction to start... It's a cool concept, I can still hear the music in my head, but it just doesn't do enough to really justify its existence, which is a shame.

I initially wasn't at all impressed with the idea of the tower, but given that it's Efteling, there might be some potential in the idea. If they go that route, though, the end result had better be spectacularly good.