What's new

Efteling | Baron 1898 | B&M Dive Coaster

EthC

Mega Poster
Efteling have announced on their facebook page that they will be getting a 37.5m tall dive coaster as a signature ride for their park! It will cost 18 million euros and will be their biggest ride in the park!

The statement translated from google translate so sorry for bad english.

Nice news! In the summer of 2015 we open a dive coaster. This is a spectacular roller coaster in which you create a free fall of 37.5 metres. In 2015 we extend also Efteling Bosrijk with 400 extra beds. In the summer of 2015, for the first time, you can stay overnight in the new cottages and group accommodations.

De Efteling wants phased grow into an international destination with 5 million visitors by 2020. We therefore invest in the coming years as the first phase in this roller coaster and expansion of Efteling Bosrijk.

Personally I think this is fantastic, even more of a reason if their wasnt already one to go to Efteling now!

Ethan

Strata Poster
Re: Efteling to get B&M Dive Coaster for 2015!

I love Efteling <3 Odd choice though, but I guess they do need something big for the thrill seekers!

Darren B

Giga Poster

That's incredible news, and completely unexpected. They have nothing even remotely close to a DM in Holland so this will take the country by storm! It'll also be interesting to see what they do with the layout. I'd expect Gardaland to clone Krake for their 2015 coaster but will Efteling clone it too?

Either way, brilliant news for the park and no doubt the ride will be incredibly themed!

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

As said above the theming of this will be nothing short of fantastic, which is what I'm most excited about for this ride.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

Great news, I was hoping to get to Efteling this year but it's not going to happen, so will be going next year instead.
Really interested to hear more on layout and theming.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

I loved Krake, so I have high hopes for this one.

And to be completely honest I think it have been pretty bad for one of the absolute biggest parks in Europe to have their signature looper be a 1980's Vekoma.

FaceYourNemesis said:
Well that was unexpected!

This, so many times, this!

davidm

Strata Poster

Is this meant to distract us from a lack of that Hartenhof thing that they keep putting back 12 months...

...or is it in fact instead of it?

TerminatorFMan

Roller Poster

Darren B said:
That's incredible news, and completely unexpected. They have nothing even remotely close to a DM in Holland so this will take the country by storm! It'll also be interesting to see what they do with the layout. I'd expect Gardaland to clone Krake for their 2015 coaster but will Efteling clone it too?

Either way, brilliant news for the park and no doubt the ride will be incredibly themed!

I both agree and disagree with you. The lack of quality coasters is disappointing for a park of that scale and you are right in the sense that it will be an excellent addition for the park.
This is slightly off topic, but whose to say the Gadaland dive machine will be a copy of Krake? I understand they are both Merlin, but remember Nemesis? Inferno was totally different to the original in terms of layout and experience, even though they're both B&M inverts in sister parks. European coasters seen a lot better than the UK, so hopefully Gardaland will think of something original.

Lofty

CF Legend

david morton said:
Is this meant to distract us from a lack of that Hartenhof thing that they keep putting back 12 months...

...or is it in fact instead of it?
That was canned roughly a year or so ago now, along with the failure of the TV Show.

Darren B

Giga Poster

TerminatorFMan said:
Darren B said:

I both agree and disagree with you. The lack of quality coasters is disappointing for a park of that scale and you are right in the sense that it will be an excellent addition for the park.
This is slightly off topic, but whose to say the Gadaland dive machine will be a copy of Krake? I understand they are both Merlin, but remember Nemesis? Inferno was totally different to the original in terms of layout and experience, even though they're both B&M inverts in sister parks. European coasters seen a lot better than the UK, so hopefully Gardaland will think of something original.

I'll keep this short and sweet as the Gardaland coaster has it's own topic.

First off, You can't compare Nemesis and Nemesis Inferno. The later was built without the restrictions Nemesis faced. Secondly, there isn't much you can do with a Dive Machine, bar Oblivion and it's clone all DM's have featured a drop, Immelmann and splash element, I doubt we'll ever see anything different to be honest. And thirdly, Merlin grabbed themselves a winner with Krake. It wasn't particularly expensive (12 million euro's isn't expensive for a B&M) and the public loved it. Why wouldn't you want to recreate that at another park? I would expect a few tweaks but don't be surprised to see a near clone. I would expect the only major change to be the theming.

Anyways, back onto THIS Dive Machine, because it's going to be FAB!

marc

CF Legend

I'm hoping they go for a big layout like the USA versions and not a mini one.

TerminatorFMan

Roller Poster

Darren B said:
TerminatorFMan said:
Darren B said:

I'll keep this short and sweet as the Gardaland coaster has it's own topic.

First off, You can't compare Nemesis and Nemesis Inferno. The later was built without the restrictions Nemesis faced. Secondly, there isn't much you can do with a Dive Machine, bar Oblivion and it's clone all DM's have featured a drop, Immelmann and splash element, I doubt we'll ever see anything different to be honest. And thirdly, Merlin grabbed themselves a winner with Krake. It wasn't particularly expensive (12 million euro's isn't expensive for a B&M) and the public loved it. Why wouldn't you want to recreate that at another park? I would expect a few tweaks but don't be surprised to see a near clone. I would expect the only major change to be the theming.

Anyways, back onto THIS Dive Machine, because it's going to be FAB!

It certainly is going to be and great, worthwile investment for the park.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster

Well, I guess that means I'll be doing a Holland trip next year if nothing else. Efteling sounds amazing, and this sounds like it'll round out the park quite well. I look forward to seeing what they can do with such a large coaster, as I can't imagine Dive Machines being all that easy to theme to Efteling standards.

peep

CF Legend

A bit shocked by this news. Not sure if happy about it? I love Efteling to bits but I can't picture a dive machine fitting in with the rest of the park. Still, I'm intrigued by where it'll go and what they'll theme it too etc.

As for Hartenhof, the park have never confirmed anything regarding the cancellation of the project, so far it's only been speculation from the fans.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

andrus

Giga Poster

TerminatorFMan said:
The lack of quality coasters is disappointing for a park of that scale and you are right in the sense that it will be an excellent addition for the park.
I 100% agree with you on this! I beleive Efteling is the single most expensive park in Europe (entry and parking included), and for what reason? It's huge, yes. It's pretty in some areas, yes. But it severely lacks in rides! It really only got Vliegende Hollander (which is awesome!) and Joris and de Draak (which is ok), but other than that there are only crap... The only thrill ride they got is a rough, old Vekoma Cork Screw, talk about low value for money!! Even tough they're a children/family park, I would have expected at least one decent thrill ride..

KristofWB

Hyper Poster

peep said:
A bit shocked by this news. Not sure if happy about it? I love Efteling to bits but I can't picture a dive machine fitting in with the rest of the park. Still, I'm intrigued by where it'll go and what they'll theme it too etc.

I wouldn't worry about that. In 1982, when they opened Python, it was the same thing. People thought that a ride of that size wouldn't fit a park like Efteling. Even Anton Pieck, designer of Efteling's Sprookjesbos was against the project. And look now...Python is now such an iconic coaster, not only in Holland but also in Belgium and Germany.

Anyway, I must say I was quit stunned by this news. I always thought that Walibi Belgium, Walibi Holland or Toverland would be the first parks in the Benelux to have a B&M Coaster...never thought it would be Efteling. Anyway, pretty exciting years ahead for the Benelux: Bobbejaanland and Efteling opening new rides in 2015, Walibi Belgium and Walibi Holland in 2016...and who knows what Toverland is going to bring. Or Plopsaland De Panne!