What's new

Eastern Europe PTR - Parts 6+7: Transylvania + Sofia

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
This was definitely not a park trip, and would probably be better suited in “Life Outside”, but there were a few +1s to be grabbed, so I’ll shove it in here.

The whole thing was pretty last-minute. I knew I’d be home for the summer, but didn’t want to spend the whole time in the UK. Originally, I’d thought of doing a park trip to Texas, but then realised that that would’ve meant I’d done 3 USA trips in the space of a year and I wanted to try a few new countries.

I just did a search through Skyscanner from Manchester and Liverpool to “Anywhere”, and booked a flight to the cheapest place I hadn’t been to already, Riga in Latvia. At about £120, it wasn’t cheap for a Ryanair flight (I’ve seen the same flight in the £10-£20 mark before), but I’d left it a bit late really.

Riga

There are no creds in this part of the report.

Although the flight was overpriced, the trip as a whole didn’t cost a lot. I managed to get a really nice hotel, about a 10-minute walk from the old town, for next to nothing, with a nice view onto some church and Riga tower (3rd tallest in Europe) in the background.

SAM_0004_zps48qnjrim.jpg

SAM_0013_zpsq8d6gubd.jpg

SAM_0014_zpsmvnfre3d.jpg

I’d arrived in the evening and just crashed at the hotel before walking around the old town all day the next day, leaving quite early in the morning. Not sure what this building is, but it was just behind the hotel on the way to the old town.

SAM_0008_zpsw5rkwe9d.jpg

SAM_0012_zps8h5gt2om.jpg

I got to this church early on and went up the tower for some decent views across the city.

SAM_0033_zpsrqwndwmy.jpg

SAM_0035_zpshcyiapta.jpg

SAM_0037_zpszmigx47n.jpg

SAM_0039_zpswtrrbscx.jpg

SAM_0040_zpskgbxpi3i.jpg

SAM_0041_zpsohi6g8cr.jpg

SAM_0042_zpsmdf5rtod.jpg

SAM_0043_zpsw3fwy3pb.jpg

SAM_0046_zpsf7om5fvm.jpg

This old town square, with the town hall and some other old buildings – well, reconstructed recently rather than old to be fair – was the main tourist hub.

SAM_0056_zps9tzbbkhd.jpg

SAM_0058_zpslbhgiliz.jpg

SAM_0062_zpsfushoc1m.jpg

SAM_0066_zps6ex7xoxf.jpg

SAM_0070_zpskomathyz.jpg

I’m just going to throw in a bunch of other pictures. Can’t be f**cked to really explain to be honest. The old town is fairly compact, so everything was pretty close.

SAM_0023_zpsl1ftjsdn.jpg

SAM_0025_zpssoiv5llj.jpg

SAM_0083_zpsu6x6cgie.jpg

SAM_0090_zpsqz0o1rtk.jpg

SAM_0094_zps4qanxjmq.jpg

SAM_0097_zpskcsfoqax.jpg

SAM_0102_zpsiaqckwb1.jpg

SAM_0107_zpsqbimqxlu.jpg

SAM_0110_zps8e38zhcn.jpg

SAM_0111_zpskcoshtbb.jpg

SAM_0118_zpsexao48km.jpg

SAM_0127_zpsbruqmz1h.jpg

SAM_0132_zpscx0bjue5.jpg

SAM_0137_zps3iqaxnq2.jpg

The lack of flowery description probably makes it seem like I was just walking around for an hour or two, but it was pretty much a full day. I had close to a full day the next day, too, but realised that I wouldn’t really need it so ended up changing my bus ticket to leave early the next afternoon rather than later in the evening. The next morning I just went to a couple of museums/galleries which were ok, but don’t really warrant any further description or pictures.

It might not seem like it since I can’t be arsed to write about it in much detail, but I really liked Riga. I went in with absolutely zero knowledge or expectation of the place, but found it to be a really lovely city, perfect to spend a day or two just walking around without having a lot to actually do.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Re: Eastern Europe PTR - Part 1: Riga (no creds)

gavin said:
This was definitely not a park trip, and would probably be better suited in “Life Outside”, but there were a few +1s to be grabbed, so I’ll shove it in here.

Life Outside has been merged with Trip Reports Sub-forum quite a while ago. Haha :)

Riga looks really nice, though. I didn't know they have such a huge tower. Okay, basically I don't know much about the place, but it's still rather interesting for them to have it. Does it serve any purpose, or is it just there as a tourist attraction (like Eiffel Tower)?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^ I didn't go, but I think it's a radio/tv tower with an observation deck.

Most towers are basically the same: built primarily for broadcasting signals but with a tourism element as well.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Excellent photos, Gavin. I've been looking forward to this trip report since you told me you were doing this trip, looking forward to more!

Darren B

Giga Poster

I don't quite get this trip, Gavin.

Surely with the money you've spent on this trip you could have grabbed a 7 nights, all inclusive to Salou, watched a dolphin show, whored Shambhala and watched 2 Geordie lads kick **** out of each other. I thought you were classier than Riga, Gavin.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^ An all-inclusive to Salou was actually my first choice. I can think of nothing better than sitting next to a pool full of obese Brits all day every day, eating fish and chips, reading The Sun and drinking watered-down "free" beer", but with it being the school holidays and being left quite late, I figured that all the packages would've already disappeared. Shame.

Like I said in the last part, I’d had a bus ticket leaving in the evening to get me to the next city, Vilnius in Lithuania, but I changed it for an earlier one since I’d seen what I wanted to see in Riga, the bus journey was 4-hours and it would mean getting in at a more reasonable time in the evening rather than quite late at night.

The bus was amazing. It only cost 18 Euro, was ridiculously comfortable, had a free coffee machine, wifi, electrical/usb sockets and an in-seat entertainment system.

11755867_10155881009910188_2805754796188740431_n.jpg

From the bus station, I got a taxi to the hotel, popped out to a supermarket for food and drinks and had a lazy evening before another day of walking for f**king miles.

Vilnius Day 1

The hotel was a bit further out from the old town than the last place, but was still only a 15-minute walk. I started off at the southern end at this old gate.

SAM_0178_zpsq1lfvouw.jpg

On the other side were hundreds of God botherers, dressed in creepy matching T shirts, all waiting for something that I didn’t hang around for.

SAM_0180_zpslaojvguq.jpg

Went into this church:

SAM_0182_zpsejkc6721.jpg

It was quite fab.

SAM_0184_zpsmpxzvs67.jpg

Went into another church about 30 seconds away:

SAM_0189_zps8blyxv18.jpg

It was also quite fab.

SAM_0193_zps6bdlc15k.jpg

Not a church:

SAM_0199_zpsppixdrkv.jpg

But this was:

SAM_0200_zpsput3htav.jpg

And this:

SAM_0204_zps6ganfoum.jpg

SAM_0208_zps6ghioui4.jpg

It had a small crypt with what looked like crap graffiti, but was apparently some old, important s**t.

SAM_0212_zps0bpx7mzp.jpg

SAM_0214_zpsy5eo7j3v.jpg

Oh look, another church. This one had been repurposed as a concert venue though.

SAM_0220_zpsxo8f7g9k.jpg

Just around the corner was Frank Zappa’s head on a 15 foot metal pole. F**k knows why; he wasn’t from here.

SAM_0222_zpsgogj0y7a.jpg

Since I was starting to miss them, I found another church.

SAM_0227_zpshxnawiok.jpg

They hadn’t even bothered to shove this one on the free tourist map I’d picked up, but it was probably the best one so far, and there was nobody else in it.

SAM_0228_zpsboyjpwfl.jpg

SAM_0231_zpsbtmnlqhn.jpg

Further down the road was the university, with a clock tower you could go up for a couple of quid.

SAM_0236_zpsiwd3vzcc.jpg

There was one of those Foucault’s pendulum things in there:

SAM_0242_zpsntlqad1r.jpg

And half a face. Because.

SAM_0239_zpscl0rhdwu.jpg

There was a lift, but it was f**ked, so I had to climb up.

SAM_0243_zps5lppdwss.jpg

The tower is fairly central, so gave some really decent 360 views. Have some:

SAM_0247_zpsp56ldxjh.jpg

SAM_0266_zps2rxhyhrr.jpg

SAM_0270_zpsxr8vzesh.jpg

SAM_0251_zps9edozftg.jpg

I spot some churches I haven’t been to yet!

SAM_0272_zpso2lbi9ya.jpg

SAM_0256_zpsxf5rn2xx.jpg

SAM_0250_zpsueeof36t.jpg

I headed up to the old fort the next day, but not to the tower which was a bit further out.

SAM_0276_zpstmvsajdr.jpg

SAM_0282_zps8vmaf1cs.jpg

SAM_0279_zpsb7hvytg7.jpg

The pendulum was suspended from the top of the tower.

SAM_0290_zps3x8ps0fl.jpg

Next to the tower, the university has its own church. Obviously.

SAM_0292_zpsjwvlk7wb.jpg

SAM_0294_zpsxactr9s1.jpg

SAM_0299_zpsnlmcirwv.jpg

I thought this was going to be a rather interesting and unique religious relic, but it was just a posh piano #recycledfacebookjokebecauseicantbearsed.

10624953_10155886387630188_7252948413009683153_n.jpg

It was a nice university campus though.

SAM_0301_zpszr8ddrew.jpg

SAM_0304_zpsobxug7qz.jpg

Back out into the old town then:

SAM_0309_zpsjvoow93c.jpg

Church!

SAM_0314_zpsukhfapts.jpg

Church!

SAM_0316_zps4bw0sr2o.jpg

Church!

SAM_0320_zpsn5qxkbs2.jpg

I popped into all of them, but I’m not going to put any more pictures of the insides because they all started to blend into one after a while.

They’ve got so many churches going spare that they’ve just dumped this one to use as a car park:

SAM_0313_zpsvqdigg7y.jpg

There was some stuff that wasn’t a church:

SAM_0322_zpsjqjuzt5u.jpg

SAM_0325_zps99thbm9e.jpg

SAM_0327_zpso70j6rj5.jpg

SAM_0330_zpsioqrzfha.jpg

Luckily, not for long though…

Two churches connected together!

SAM_0332_zpseat0tedf.jpg

SAM_0333_zpsdsnvwau0.jpg

SAM_0339_zpsctzrll8x.jpg

SAM_0341_zpsh4pytuaq.jpg

Despite having seen a church or two by this point, and it was getting on for about 5 o’clock, I hadn’t even made it to Cathedral Square, with the biggest church!

SAM_0344_zpszlr5qynd.jpg

SAM_0351_zpslpnusp9s.jpg

This guy couldn’t even with all the churches. #anotherrecycledfacebookjokesorrynotsorry.

SAM_0348_zpszat4mfzo.jpg

You could climb up inside the bell tower here, too, thought you couldn’t get too high up and with this place being nearer the far side of the old town, there weren’t as many views.

SAM_0355_zpseyojovyy.jpg

SAM_0361_zpshq6vivhk.jpg

The main shopping street leading away from the old town:

SAM_0358_zpscys0ghdl.jpg

The view back over the cathedral was pretty stunning though, especially with that weather:

SAM_0367_zpsodgsaimr.jpg

SAM_0369_zpstokxl59b.jpg

It was getting on a bit by this point, and I’d been walking around pretty much non-stop for about 8 hours, so I walked back up that shopping street I’d just mentioned and went out that night to a club near my hotel where they were selling glasses of champagne for about £1.50. Messy, but fun, times!

Vilnius Day Two

I woke up pretty late, but that was fine since I’d covered the whole place the previous day. This time, I headed past the old town and up to the river, taking a walk along it which got me to that old fort on the hill.

SAM_0380_zpsvn9jwc21.jpg

SAM_0383_zps4viwgzmf.jpg

SAM_0386_zpsxknzjzwi.jpg

There was a funicular to get up to it, but it wasn’t particularly high, so I just walked up.

SAM_0388_zpsvv6w7y5i.jpg

The other side of the river from the old town has the city’s business district:

SAM_0401_zpsjzzv5itx.jpg

There were, again, great views over the old town, but nothing too dissimilar from the university bell tower, so I won’t shove any in. This old palace is now a museum:

SAM_0403_zpscevlqecj.jpg

I had wander round for an hour or so, but there’s not a lot worth mentioning really. It was very good, with loads of information – too much really – but a lot to try and take in if you’ve got little to no interest in Lithuanian history.

I managed to catch a tour of the cathedral crypt though, which was just about to start as I was walking past. You can’t get into the crypt without a tour, which is a pain since it goes on for bloody ages and I only wanted a quick look.

SAM_0430_zps4sfsjvtl.jpg

SAM_0426_zps4jmsss1s.jpg

Again, it doesn’t seem like it, but I’d been out and about, with a fairly solid hangover, for about 5 hours by the time I got out of there, so it was back to the hotel after that.

Like Riga – well, moreso really – Vilnius was another really nice surprise. I don’t think I’ve really heard anyone mention it before, but it was pretty stunning.

Obviously, it’s quite church-heavy when it comes to the buildings, but they were all pretty stunning to be fair. After a few of them, you start to become a bit desensitised to how impressive they are – it reminded me a bit of Venice or Rome in that respect – but realistically, it you took any one of them and shoved into most other towns or cities, it would be the main tourist draw.

So yeah, absolutely stunning city which came totally unexpected.
There’s creds in the next bit, but don’t get too excited.

Ben

CF Legend
Re: Eastern Europe PTR - Part 2: Vilnius (no creds)

I'm so glad there's creds in the next part, I was worried the whole trip was a waste of time.

TilenB

Strata Poster

Please don't tell me the cred part will start with you attempting to get an abndoned Schwarzkopf in the middle of nowhere and that you've actually went somewhere worth.

Vilnius looks quite cool, but I wouldn't exactly attempt to see each of the churches there...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^ I didn't go out of my way for anything, but there's absolutely NOTHING major with regards to parks simply because those countries don't have any.

It really wasn't an attempt to see those churches; they're literally just everywhere you walk and I was just walking around the place with no real plans.

ignace

Mega Poster

Wow, Vilnius also looks really nice :eek:. There doesn't seem to be that much traffic in the centre?

Also, is it just me or is Vilnius extremely clean?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

A lot of the old town was pedestrianised. The bright sunshine makes it look even more so, but yes it was very clean.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Great report Gavin. Really loving the pictures.

I really enjoyed my visit to Riga a couple of years back, Like you I was really surprised at how bloody lovely it was. Vilnius is high on my list to do but I want to combine it with Minsk and you know what a pain that is to do. :S

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Yeah, f**k Minsk.

The next stop on the trip was Kiev. I’d originally wanted to go to Minsk in Belarus since it’s between Lithuania and Ukraine, but you need a visa which has to be applied for in advance and it wasn’t worth the effort for the sake of a couple of days, so I just flew over it. F**k that.

Kiev Day 1

I think I arrived in Kiev around lunch time, so just quickly checked into my hotel – well, I say quickly; the staff were horrendous and it took ages - and spent the afternoon having a wander. The hotel was so, so, so Soviet.

SAM_0436_zpsqt5p1k3l.jpg

It was pretty run down, but kind of fab in a whole “faded grandeur” kind of way. The location was amazing as well, looking down on Independence Square.

SAM_0437_zpstz8do03w.jpg

SAM_0441_zpsxhig0wjd.jpg

Some stuff:

SAM_0446_zpsqsapxyxp.jpg

SAM_0448_zpsr7wnnqjw.jpg

SAM_0453_zpsq3sn45qt.jpg

Kiev was by far the biggest and busiest city of the trip, and also way more Soviet-feeling than the last two places, which were also part of the former USSR.

SAM_0455_zpsnjpfcr6g.jpg

SAM_0460_zpserym2p1e.jpg

SAM_0461_zpsxr3rbgow.jpg

Another city, another bell tower to clamber up for the views.

SAM_0467_zpsuwf4v5wc.jpg

SAM_0474_zpslqjsufqp.jpg

SAM_0482_zpsrpidsdxg.jpg

Looking back towards the hotel:

SAM_0477_zpsnrlcrvwt.jpg

The bell tower was for this church, which doesn’t really look like much, but it was pretty amazing inside with the walls totally covered in frescoes, some around 1,000 years old, but with over-zealous staff enforcing “NO PHOTO!!!!!!” rules.

SAM_0484_zpsxeeizmoz.jpg

SAM_0489_zps8ucbadf6.jpg

SAM_0490_zpsm9ojtenm.jpg

SAM_0497_zps1xf8d876.jpg

This place was directly opposite:

SAM_0501_zpsqi72ucd8.jpg

Just around the corner from there I walked into some TV show being filmed. It seemed like some kind of Masterchef/Hell’s Kitchen kind of thing, with two teams coking food and serving it to members of the public.
SAM_0503_zpsakfezmlo.jpg

SAM_0513_zpsp9vazcl2.jpg

SAM_0515_zpsstzmlmih.jpg

SAM_0519_zpsgq6abjig.jpg

SAM_0521_zpsqhqxnkyf.jpg

SAM_0534_zpsoc9g8php.jpg

SAM_0542_zpsh4fvfsfg.jpg

From there it was down this winding road which was basically a market but being packed away for the evening.

SAM_0524_zpsp2e71psa.jpg

SAM_0548_zps41vgh7kg.jpg

SAM_0551_zpsmsdi4i5b.jpg

SAM_0554_zps7mcigm0z.jpg

SAM_0560_zpss04l5t53.jpg

The downhill walk obviously meant an uphill one to get back to the hotel. Id been walking around for about 5 hours by this point, so just got some food and a couple of beers on the main road near Independence Square and called it a day.

SAM_0563_zpsdmripkqc.jpg

SAM_0564_zpsremugxfs.jpg

Kiev Day 2

Cred Day, Cred Day. Gotta get Creds on Cred Day. The weather was perfect for park visits.

SAM_0795_zpsileuhl5i.jpg

I got the metro, costing about 10p for a journey anywhere on the whole system, out to a place called Peremoha Park for an unkown Zyklon Galaxy coaster. This wasn’t really a proper amusement park, more a regular park with some rides, very much like the Chinese city parks and those in Moscow. It was still pissing down, so I got a Maccie’s breakfast next to the station and waited for it to calm down a bit.

SAM_0796_zps33l7qeoa.jpg

SAM_0798_zpsje3ipeft.jpg

SAM_0799_zpsigizj6y9.jpg

SAM_0800_zpsu2r86cta.jpg

SAM_0802_zpsk0ngr39l.jpg

SAM_0807_zps2ifjbykr.jpg

SAM_0813_zpsrtp7xdpw.jpg

A few crappy rides, but no cred. NO CRED! I searched the entire massive park hoping that it was in a different area, but to no avail.

SAM_0810_zps72au4vo0.jpg

SAM_0806_zps6uz00a7d.jpg

SAM_0804_zpst9o4qjo9.jpg

Unless it’s been enclosed and themed to a 2000-year-old fairy tale, it’s been removed.

SAM_0811_zps2dligtcv.jpg

They were obviously looking for the cred, only to be disappointed, as well:

SAM_0812_zpsnkt45ay3.jpg

So, it was back to the metro and on to the next place, which was only a stop or two away, Hidrapark. Again, this was a city park with an amusement area. The weather had totally cleared up by this point.

SAM_0816_zpsbqd9irf9.jpg

SAM_0818_zpsdeipcnfi.jpg

SAM_0819_zpsfrtaelig.jpg

SAM_0828_zpsh4lpxbpj.jpg

The place was dead, but open, with a skeleton staff getting stuff ready.

SAM_0823_zps3ygt3d4c.jpg

CRED!

SAM_0821_zpsvtbjd14f.jpg

SAM_0822_zps2b5jytwn.jpg

SAM_0824_zpsxrjllyhw.jpg

SAM_0826_zpsqpbauo2g.jpg

Despite its small size, it made me fear for my life a little. I think I got about 5 circuits on the bloody thing before managing to get out. +1.

From there I decided to walk to some other stuff since the weather was much nicer, crossing the river and scrambling up a wet muddy hill because I couldn’t be arsed to walk about 2km the long way round on the actual road

SAM_0842_zpshczirdy8.jpg

SAM_0845_zpsiwdgzvdw.jpg

SAM_0846_zpsw67mt6yf.jpg

SAM_0848_zpsvz9ylkww.jpg

Further along was one of the main tourist sites, some old monastery with some caves, but the queues to get in were absolutely massive, stretching about 500m down the street, so I just walked past it and onto this other park a bit further on.

SAM_0852_zps1rrlo69p.jpg

SAM_0855_zpsmdgob2qq.jpg

So grim; it was fab!

SAM_0862_zpsqs372uex.jpg

SAM_0863_zpskkntztiw.jpg

SAM_0865_zpsfntrvqmb.jpg

SAM_0867_zpsshmgqbta.jpg

SAM_0870_zpsnhrm3iur.jpg

This massive statue had a museum in the base that was quite interesting, focusing on the history of Ukraine.

SAM_0880_zpsounr3uut.jpg

SAM_0882_zpsnecmhhxu.jpg

SAM_0884_zpsxiei6fjk.jpg

Gloves made of human skin. Didn’t look particularly warm.

SAM_0888_zps8sy7nnm9.jpg

There’s an observation deck on top of the statue’s shield, bu it had already closed for the day.

SAM_0894_zpsfab2oekw.jpg

SAM_0900_zpsgolibu4r.jpg

SAM_0904_zps5lueanvy.jpg

I walked back into town, cutting through another park in case there were any surprise creds; there weren’t.

SAM_0909_zpswv4mxvn0.jpg

SAM_0910_zpsibpeubjm.jpg

SAM_0919_zpskbexevgh.jpg

Some stuff on buildings and the square at night:

SAM_0919_zpskbexevgh.jpg

SAM_0924_zpseezwunsu.jpg

SAM_0925_zpsimxwyhqr.jpg

SAM_0932_zpspearpqj4.jpg

SAM_0937_zps9wtytzbw.jpg

So yeah, three capital cities and one cred so far. More to come though.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Re: Eastern Europe PTR - Part 3: Kiev (Cred)

Nice report so far Gavin, this is the kind of places I used to go exploring before we had the kids, and still try to do when I'm away somewhere new for work. Very interesting.

Dubaidave

Hyper Poster

I can't believe the cred at hidropark is still there. When I rode it I got about 20 laps. Genuinely thought I might die on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

I had a third day in Kiev, so used it to book myself onto a trip to go to Chernobyl. It was amazing.

There’s no way to do it without being on an organised tour with a licensed guide, which isn’t my preferred way to do something, but there’s literally no other way. It turned out to be great though. There were only 6 of us in the group, including the guide, and we didn’t see any other groups the whole time we were there. It was a Tuesday and the weather was crap, but the general greyness and complete lack of other people added to the overall atmosphere. Apparently at weekends there can be hundreds of people all over the place.

It took a couple of hours to drive up there, with it being close to the border with Belarus, and there are two checkpoints that you have to pass through, with passports being checked. The first is the 30km zone and the second the 10km zone, named because of the distance from the initial nuclear explosion. Obviously.

We stopped briefly in the town of Chernobyl itself. There are actually a lot of people still living and working there in various government jobs, and there’s also a small hotel and bar/restaurant where we had dinner later. There’s not a lot to really see though.

SAM_0565_zpsidlaugks.jpg

SAM_0568_zpsf2taq8ew.jpg

SAM_0574_zpspdzeg5bf.jpg

SAM_0581_zpsdydeqzjl.jpg

Moving out of the town and further into the exclusion zone, you start driving past a lot of abandoned houses, with the woods basically taking over.

SAM_0572_zpsfmb2ktcp.jpg

A few miles in, we stopped off at an old Soviet radar rig thing. Apparently, it’s only been open for visits for a couple of years and is due to be sold off for scrap, so I guess it was pretty good timing to visit when I did.

SAM_0584_zpsbjuukubg.jpg

SAM_0587_zpsvcefgedy.jpg

SAM_0589_zpsekebb13e.jpg

SAM_0594_zps2fz65y1y.jpg

SAM_0616_zpsg2ayujgn.jpg

It was built during the cold war as part of a missile detection system – there were two others in other areas of the USSR, meaning that they covered the whole planet - and was absolutely f**king massive.

SAM_0598_zpske7ggcz3.jpg

SAM_0600_zpsknxqnhgd.jpg

SAM_0604_zpsbu5kc3rx.jpg

SAM_0608_zpsl94qporo.jpg

SAM_0615_zpsd1me7tkm.jpg

The guard house at the entrance had this savage guard dog:

SAM_0618_zpsny0ramlg.jpg

Continuing further into the zone, we stopped off at an abandoned nursery/kindergarten.

SAM_0619_zps0urd20r4.jpg

SAM_0624_zpsvyx3tsly.jpg

SAM_0660_zpsecsdgabb.jpg

It was f**king horrific!

SAM_0628_zpsuswwuvg0.jpg

SAM_0629_zpsmmoqqaoo.jpg

SAM_0630_zpsunvfmla6.jpg

SAM_0633_zpsz5uynhzi.jpg

SAM_0634_zpskzvbamon.jpg

SAM_0637_zpsxudzupsx.jpg

SAM_0638_zpsypkdagpe.jpg

SAM_0645_zpshbxm6wpo.jpg

SAM_0646_zpsmxdlz00e.jpg

SAM_0643_zpsdqkr5bde.jpg

SAM_0652_zpssdzgylhd.jpg

SAM_0648_zpszmc86kpd.jpg

From there we stopped off on an old railway bridge next to the power plant to throw bread to some f**king enormous catfish. Clearly there’s no sense of scale in the pictures, but they were massive – some over 10 feet long apparently.

SAM_0668_zpsz2zevp9z.jpg

SAM_0671_zpslzkgofdv.jpg

SAM_0672_zps4u2rlg24.jpg

Next it was onto reactor 4, the one that exploded. The whole thing was encased in a concrete and steel structure after the accident to contain all the nuclear material.

SAM_0675_zpsp1dkkhpi.jpg

SAM_0677_zpskyt5qeaj.jpg

It was only supposed to last 20-30 years – it’s now been 29 years – so they’re constructing a new casing to the side of it, which is on track and will be rolled over the whole thing soon.

SAM_0678_zpsa7zy2wna.jpg

SAM_0683_zpsxwjpoeqi.jpg

Next up was the town of Pripyat, which was built as a brand new town in the ‘70s to house the workers of the power plant and their families, housing close to 50,000 people and abandoned right after the explosion.

SAM_0686_zpsn5t7hgdg.jpg

SAM_0689_zps0pnbvpy0.jpg

An apartment building and hotel:

SAM_0691_zpszrgsdvth.jpg

SAM_0693_zpsqsrc5yp4.jpg

There was a multi-purpose leisure centre, which used to have a nightclub, cinema and sports facilities.

SAM_0697_zpsqff4jlvq.jpg

SAM_0704_zps73ixc3p7.jpg

SAM_0705_zps8to1if1g.jpg

SAM_0708_zpsxjvpoqu6.jpg

SAM_0711_zps6dw1wnfn.jpg

The cinema:

SAM_0712_zpspjtcpao5.jpg

SAM_0715_zpsq4e3pijn.jpg

SAM_0713_zpsibehgrho.jpg

SAM_0716_zpsjp3pra2f.jpg

The sports centre, with a view over to the amusement park:

SAM_0717_zps7hknnynw.jpg

SAM_0720_zpsqcmudguv.jpg

SAM_0722_zpsfwpsaojx.jpg

SAM_0719_zpszalgdski.jpg

The amusement park was obviously the next stop. It never actually opened.

SAM_0728_zpsme07vxgr.jpg

SAM_0729_zpspahxkqxe.jpg

SAM_0730_zpsowiday6k.jpg

SAM_0731_zpsc7oovbg8.jpg

SAM_0734_zps2zpgvrla.jpg

SAM_0735_zpscnrq0h5c.jpg

SAM_0737_zpsbjduwjb4.jpg

SAM_0739_zpso0lrakyp.jpg

SAM_0741_zpsccffkevj.jpg

SAM_0742_zpsg1t9debt.jpg

SAM_0744_zpsgnwibgmt.jpg

SAM_0747_zpsrtm26jbo.jpg

Next up was another leisure centre with an old swimming pool.

SAM_0753_zps4zx18fad.jpg

SAM_0754_zpsvqi9b2r5.jpg

SAM_0755_zpshkvtbad8.jpg

SAM_0756_zpsut8ok7a7.jpg

SAM_0759_zpstyet89bt.jpg

SAM_0760_zpslpgpw8jg.jpg

SAM_0762_zpsbihhyfta.jpg

The final stop was an old high school.

SAM_0764_zps6awepjvf.jpg

SAM_0767_zpsv4xxja2i.jpg

SAM_0768_zpsqga0kib8.jpg

SAM_0769_zps8x7xpedh.jpg

SAM_0771_zpskuvjssaq.jpg

SAM_0773_zpsxkyc5w6w.jpg

SAM_0777_zps3cmgndad.jpg

SAM_0782_zpscwvu7fkx.jpg

SAM_0784_zps4feruwlt.jpg

SAM_0786_zpsn3il6x24.jpg

SAM_0788_zps5phondml.jpg

SAM_0789_zps6lmvilpd.jpg

SAM_0791_zpsrc0rrafr.jpg

SAM_0793_zpspw9vktqa.jpg

On the way out of the exclusion zone, at both the 10km and 30km checkpoints, you have to go into these detectors to make sure you haven’t been contaminated with any radioactive material:

SAM_0794_zpsj5qxs8kq.jpg

The whole town was absolutely amazing, proper “Walking Dead” stuff, and because we were a small group and there was nobody else around we got the perfect abandoned-town experience, going into some buildings that our guide doesn’t take larger groups into since there are definite safety issues – not with any radiation, but because of the state of the buildings themselves. You’re literally walking through broken glass and avoiding rotten floorboards in places.

So yeah, this was definitely the best part of this trip and one of the most interesting places I’ve ever been.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Re: Eastern Europe PTR - Part 4: Chernobyl

Wow.

It almost feels wrong to say it looks amazing given the circumstances.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

That's one of the most interesting reports I've read on here. It's great to read more about it and see first hand pictures.
Thanks for posting it Gavin.

Snoo

The Legend

That's incredible. Thanks for the great report gavin.