Roller Poster
a article at coastersandmore to report, the Dubailand Construction is back

there are projects Universalstudios Dubailand, Legoland Dubailand are back

more projects announced 2012

and the Dubai Adventure Studios construction stardet in Spring 2012

There are a new park in Abu Dhabi Adventure World Abu Dhabi

STC

Mega Poster
I imagine they're all worried after what a total hash was made of Ferrari World.

SixFlagsOhio

Roller Poster
I was in contact with both Six Flags and Dubai Holding INC. and they said that there will be future plans for the Dubailand project

vgmaster9

Roller Poster
Have they really recovered from the recession? I heard that the Dubailand project won't be as broad because of it.

SixFlagsOhio

Roller Poster
Well if the city built the worlds tallest building and is re-making the historic city of Arbia I'm sure they will more than likily have the room for alot of theme parks. Atlantis Hotel is the only major project to finnish

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, it's not a case of them having room. They've got a full **** desert. It's a case of everybody pulling out of the designated projects as money is hitting hard everywhere around the world!

SixFlagsOhio

Roller Poster
United Arad Emerites hase alot of oil and people willing to pay alot to fly out there Dubai is super rich sorry if I am going alittle Geo on you guys but oil+tourism=lots of money

Lofty

CF Legend
Yes. We know that. We're not retarded. But in terms of creating a park, not every company in the world has shares in Oil businesses. You've gotta understand that it's a HUGE risk for a company to just build a new park, even if it is in a large area of wealthy customers, it's still an almighty risk.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Dubai? Super rich?

SixFlagsOhio, the Middle East countries have social stratification unlike anything you probably have imagined.

There's the ruling families, who are in fact ridiculously rich. There's the MINORITY native population who are mostly middle class.

Then, there's the workers. These outnumber the rest, usually 2 to 1 or more, but have no power, no money and no free time. They are sold promises of great jobs and brought over. Upon arrival, they surrender their passports and become virtual slaves in a system designed to keep them trapped in s#itty jobs. Ever heard of trafficking in people? This is where thousands have ended up.

I've been to Kuwait, UAE, Oman, and lived in Bahrain for a year. This is the reality, and it is worse in UAE and Saudi Arabia.

This is why Ferrari World is having problems: The local populace has never cared about amusement parks. The rich are visiting once, and not returning. The tourism sector hasn't provided enough foot traffic to sustain what's there.

If Dubailand is built as envisioned, it's going to be done on the back of these wage-slaves. From that, it is a huge leap for it to become the next WDW.

I don't see it.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Also, Dubai had to borrow a massive amount of money to finish the Burj. That's why it's not called Burj Dubai any more, part of the deal was that Dubai had to name the tower after the ruler of Abu Dhabi - quite a fitting way to remind them not to overspend.

Look at the World Islands, the ultra-exclusive archipelago of artificial islands off the coast of Dubai, together forming a crude map of the world. There are about a hundred of them. How many are populated, vegetated (is that the proper term?), or even has moved beyond the "pile of sand in the ocean" stage? Exactly one. The one owned by a local sultan, the head of the project.

The great palm-shaped peninsulas? There are two, one full of empty villas that nobody will buy in this financial climate. The other is slowly withering back into the ocean. Four were planned.

You can even look at the cluster of skyscrapers dominating the Dubai Marina:
nmns76.jpg

mmygpk.jpg

That brown half-finished one there is the Marina 101 building. It is taller than the Empire State building. Even taller buildings were planned next to it. But, even in its advanced stage of construction, Marina 101 was put on hold, abandoned like the Oprhan Rocker of skyscrapers, due to lack of funding. The investors simply couldn't bear the costs, and the tower has been like that for well over a year now. Nearby buildings are full of apartments for rent, costing way more than the average Dubaiian could ever hope to afford.

In short, Dubai is deep in the swamp at the moment. They spent way more than they could afford. A theme park is simply ridiculous at the moment.

SixFlagsOhio

Roller Poster
They finnished that buliding the only reason the middle-east is having there minorty problem is because Iran and not letting peole leave and the border fights Turkey and Isreal start and the fact there are people going to United Areb Emerites are fleaing from there country is because there is lots of work and Somlian pireats

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
SixFlagsOhio said:
They finnished that buliding

Nope, they didn't. Those pictures were taken in early September. Pictures from late October show absolutely no difference. Since then, no progress has been made on site. I follow construction of such buildings quite closely. You can too, here:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... 54&page=50

the only reason the middle-east is having there minorty problem is because Iran and not letting peole leave and the border fights Turkey and Isreal start and the fact there are people going to United Areb Emerites are fleaing from there country is because there is lots of work and Somlian pireats

Umm... what? Dubai is practically built by cheap foreign labour, mostly from Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Nepal and the Palestinian authority. Those work for little money on harsh contracts, but are free to leave whenever that contract expires. Migrant labourers account for 80% of the residents in the Emirates, and 90% of the work force.

On the account of Iran, it's not exactly holding the region at gun point, even though media likes to portray it that way (if you angle it like that, stories sell a lot better). The much-discussed Hormuz strait might be close by, but traffic through it goes on as usual. The Iranian government employ the much-used tactic on making threats of war to increase tension, such that the Iranian residents are distracted from the internal problems in their own country. Just like North Korea has done for the past fifty years or so. The UAE, however, aren't badly affected. If anyhting, they benefit from increased oil prices due to the tension.

Somalian pirates mostly affect the sea trade going through the Indian Ocean. Those are ships from all over the world.

But all in all, the Middle East is a melting pot of various cultures and problems. You have the stirring between India and Pakistan, revolts in Syria, Bahrain, Egypt and Yemen, the Israeli border dispute, fighting tribes and chaos in Afghanistan, the Kurds in Turkey and Iraq, etc etc. And on top of this, the financial crisis. The UAE is a relatively stable place, but they overestimated the potential for tourism and invested too much in the risky luxury business. It might get back up some time, but the park isn't likely to come any time soon.

On another note, the correlation between skyscrapers and fiscal crises have been brought up for decades. The explaination is quite simple: Those giants take some time to build. The companies behind them usually got very rich very fast, and booming economies tend to fall as quickly as they rose. The building is planned and construction started in good times, but the conjunctures turn before they are finished. Also, lots of skyscrapers were finished outside of recessions. For most of the twentieth century, there have been some supertall buildings under construction or being finished somewhere in the world. Of course the completion of some of them will coincide with economic downturns.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Off-topic and I shouldn't really (and this isn't meant to offend anyone, it's just a point to take note of), but this shows the real importance of using correct English.

See, I know nothing about the topic at hand but obviously SixFlagsOhio and Pokemaniac both think they know a lot about it. I'm not saying that either of you are wrong in what you think, but...

I read SixFlagsOhio's and there's little sentence structure, poor punctuation and basic spelling errors.

I read Pokemaniac's posts and they use of English if perfect.

I believe Pokemaniac's side of the argument simply because (knowing nothing about the subject) I will always believe the person who can at the very least use a spell checker. It says that the person making that post cares to be taken seriously and has either learned to use language correctly, or has used tools to ensure what they say is at least correct in terms of language.

You're just more likely to believe the argument of somebody who takes care to present it. It shows that they've invested more effort into it.

It may be wrong to think like that, but that's just how it goes. If somebody shines in the way they say something then it carries a lot of weight.

At this point, I have to point out two things:
1. I am hopeless at spelling and I constantly have to re-read the rules of grammar (and still don't fully understand them, English is a weakness of mine).
2. English is not Pokemaniac's first language. If somebody who has English as a secondary or tertiary language can get it right, we all can.

Anyway, please don't take offence, we know that not everyone can be perfect, but if you feel that you're not being listened to, or disregarded then this is probably the reason why.

Lofty

CF Legend
Ben said:
^I don't think it helps he clearly knows nothing about the UAE though.

It won't happen.

Yeah, I was awaiting yours or Jake's arrival in this topic. You two both know a lot more then anyone about the current state that the UAE is in. Please, talk some sense, as I just couldn't be bothered to reply as some people's eyes are actually clouded by the haze created from Oil. Yes, the country is wealthy, but this just won't happen, it's simple.

jaybuoy

Roller Poster
Of course this wont happen, only 10% of buildings in Dubai are currently occupied. Its ridiculous, they have seriously screwed themselves over and the city has become a victim of its own success.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Here's an example of how much fun it is to be a foreign national and work in Dubai.

Lifeguard jumps to death

Sajila Saseendran

2 February 2012 DUBAI - A young lifeguard, whose job was to save lives at a popular water park in Dubai, has ended his life by jumping from the fourth floor balcony of his staff accommodation.
The deceased has been identified as Nepalese national A.K., and the incident took place at a building in the phase 1 of the Al Khail Gate Community in Al Quoz on Sunday afternoon.

His suicide took place at a time the Wild Wadi Water Park, where he was employed, was closed for annual maintenance for 20 days from January 11 to 31. According to neighbours, A.K. took the extreme step when one of his roommates was asleep in their room on the topmost floor of the building which has been rented by the Jumeirah Group for housing its staff.

“He jumped from the balcony facing the road and fell on the interlock-paved ground,” said one of them. He said the lifeguard had died before the Dubai Police and ambulances reached the scene within minutes after receiving a call from the building’s security. In a statement to Khaleej Times, General Manager of Wild Wadi Water Park Chris Perry confirmed the incident.

“Out of respect for the privacy of the people who work for us, we do not comment on personal details… The company is liaising with the authorities while they are concluding their enquiry. The body of the deceased will be released as soon (as) the necessary formalities are completed, probably next week. Once the body is released, we will organise a service so that people can pay their respects, then the body will be repatriated to the colleague’s home country and handed over to his family.

Our thoughts are with the friends and family of the deceased,” the statement added

Lofty

CF Legend
rollermonkey said:
Here's an example of how much fun it is to be a foreign national and work in Dubai.
Ys, because he might not have had underlying Mental Health Problems, or, Have been in another situation to end his life, or, been wanting to do it for ages. It's obviously something to do with the work state of Dubai...

Lofty

CF Legend
UC said:
^Well, Dubai is notorious for having some...less than reputable working conditions...

I'm not saying that's the reason, but let's not completely rule it out, either.

I'm not completely ruling that out, but at the end of the day, there's TOO many factors into "Why it could have happened" for us to be able to comprehend, so just posting that in this topic was pointless? Yes, I understand that it mentioned a well known tourist attraction in Dubai, but that's all.