What's new

Dorney Park Trip Report

GravityCoaster

Roller Poster
I have recently visited Dorney Park and I was certainly surprised!

We started our morning off with Talon which was incredible! It quickly rose way above the other inverts I've been on; Alpengeist and Batman. The drop was very intense and had a nice whip to it, but even before that, they had signs on the floor of the lift saying "Almost there" No turning back" and as I'm a front row rider, it was cool to read those as I went up. Anyway, the first loop wasn't too intense but it was canceled out by the very nice hangtime on the following zero g roll. The immelmann was decently intense as well. Then it goes into what I think of as the 2nd half. You slow down into a fun drop that goes straight into a very intense turn followed by a very whippy corkscrew that I found comparable to Batman's. You follow with another turn before ending. This ride was well paced pretty much the entire time, it was intense throughout, it didn't have the best hangtime, only the zero g roll really, but that's okay. If this is a mid tier invert then I can't wait to get on Montu or Banshee.

After riding Talon we made our way over to Hydra and grabbed some lunch before hopping on. As if Talon didn't surprise me enough, this made my jaw drop. At least on Talon I have heard of some people ranking it fairly high, but I don't think I had ever heard of anyone loving Hydra. I personally find it better then Bizarro. You start off with the reason this ride is awesome, the jojo roll. This is probably the best hangtime moment in the world. Its incredible. The drop was nice and the inclined dive loop was very disorientating. You then go into a hangtime filled zero g roll. Then you go into probably the worst part of the ride, the corkscrew. Its a very boring element and should've been a loop or airtime hill. But after that, continuing the hangtime trend, you go into a cobra roll that goes through slowly provides some nice hangtime unlike the cobra rolls on Bizarro and Alpengeist. After that you go into an actual airtime hill that has some good floater, before going into another somewhat boring corkscrew, though it could be a lot worse. its followed by a helix that ends the ride on a positive note. Unlike what many people say, this ride was very smooth. In the 2nd and 3rd rows it was almost perfect, the 1st row was a bit rough though. After riding this we made our way over to Steel Force.

This ride went above and beyond any expectation I had for it. It took its spot as my number 2 coaster, beating Nitro and Big Thunder Mountain as soon as we hit the brakes. The drop was phenomenal in the back, way more intense then the B&M hyper drops I've experienced. The following hill provided some of the weakest floater ever, but that was better then the boring first hills of the other hypers I've been on. It didn't really matter because the downward helix following it was awesome. It was one of my favorite moments on a coaster ever. It was so fast and intense and just awesome to look at. You then go into the rough jolt into the MCBR which kind of hurts. But the airtime after makes up for it by far. There are so many hills that have world class ejector. That entire second half, my butt was never in my seat. The sustained ejector was almost as good as El Toros, and the quantity of it almost puts this ride above El Toro. Im not sure how the front is but he back was so incredible I had to ride it again. We had to beat the rain so we rushed over to Possessed.

The gates were open and the train was empty so we just took a seat in the back. I was hanging out with my GP friends and they didn't know if it was launched or not and as I was telling them it was, we launched. The launch felt so fast, the acceleration was by far so much better then rock n rollercoasters. The next launches were good and very intense. Going up the backwards spike was very intense for some reason and the airtime at the top was a lot like the red side of nearby Dominator. All in all it was a good ride and you felt very high up. I wish more small parks would invest in these as they are pretty good rides. After that we met with some friends at Thunderhawk.

This ride was not that good. The airtime was decent, but hurt due to the restraints. The drop was pretty good, but everything until the hills at the end was pretty painful. I was expecting this ride to be good but the only good thing about it was the nice photo moments, I have about 10 pictures of this ride stored on my phone. Then we grabbed some Ritas and hid under there as it poured. We stopped at the store right across the path and I bought a very awesome shirt, it was a to-do list of the rides and I really like it. After that we only had a couple hours before we had to meet up with the rest of the band for awards so we rerode Talon and Hydra. It was an awesome time and I can't wait to go back next year to pick up the credits I missed.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think Dorney Park is often a little overlooked, but I think your views on the rides aligned pretty well with mine, and show that the park does have a few good things to offer.

Talon is a great invert, and whilst I don't think Hydra is particularly good, it's at least unique.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Hmm, think I have completely opposing opinions, but still good to see that you enjoyed the park.
The one thing I remember about Dorney was how clean and well-maintained it was. The paint jobs on all the coasters were spot on and there wasn't a bit of rubbish in the park.

Steel Force better than Nitro though...no way in hell. ;p