What's new

Dorney Park | Iron Menace | B&M Dive Machine | 2024

Pear

Strata Poster
Plans for Dorney Park's 2021 addition have surfaced

1586587799159.png

An application to further develop the property located at 3830 Dorney Park Road. The plan proposes to remove an existing attraction, construct a new attraction, associated walkways and access drives, and relocate a portion of the existing Zephyr train ride. The new attraction will be approximately 106 feet tall (419.5 feet above MSL). The project proposes a net reduction of impervious surface. The property is zoned CR Commercial Recreation. Dorney Park LLC is the owner and applicant.

It seems that Possessed will also be removed to make way for this. Based on the layout drawings it seems to be some sort of wooden shuttle coaster akin to Switchback.

Here is the planning commission notice: https://southwhitehall.com/news/april-16-2020-planning-commission-public-notice/

Source

Plans for Dorney Park's 2021 addition have surfaced

View attachment 8114

It seems that Possessed will also be removed to make way for this. Based on the layout drawings it seems to be some sort of wooden shuttle coaster akin to Switchback.

Here is the planning commission notice: https://southwhitehall.com/news/april-16-2020-planning-commission-public-notice/

Source
I think its finally happened! We have a new coaster at Dorney! But, my question is, will Possessed get relocated? Cause they could do that

Matt N

CF Legend
Wow; this should be fantastic for Dorney Park! Definitely a surprise given the current situation, but a very, very positive surprise! Switchback gets really good reviews from those who've ridden (which having ridden the fantastic Mine Blower, I can definitely understand!), and a brand-new coaster for Dorney can only be a good thing; it's their first since Hydra in 2005, I believe!

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I am curious if the "remove an existing attraction" refers to Possessed. In my NoLimits 2 overlay, the coaster in the leaked image does not take the place of the impulse. Then again, Cedar Fair can use a new coaster as a reason to remove an aging/maintenance costly ride, a la Vortex for Orion.View attachment 8117
A bit off topic, but welcome to CoasterFORCE, XYZcoaster! I recognize your name from somewhere else... ;)

Back on topic, this is definitely unexpected from Cedar Fair. Along with the rumored S&S Free Spin for King's Dominion, these two unorthodox Cedar Fair additions might signal the start of investing into their smaller parks through smaller scale and/or cloned coasters. I feel that the smaller Cedar Fair parks have more potential for attendance growth than the larger ones through new coaster additions, even like this, and I am grateful that Cedar Fair is finally realizing it.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
This is good news as Dorney desperately needs something new and new woodies are always good! Bit of a plot twist for sure as I think everyone thought they had forgotten about the park!

I wouldn't be surprised if Possessed is scrapped as I've read that it and Wicked Twister have had lots of issues and are maintenance nightmares.

Decision seems to be on the 16th so we'll find out soon if they get the permission or not.

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
I don't think that this will open in 2021 (coronavirus delays), but this is great! I like how Cedar Fair is going to other coaster manufacturers now, instead of just going to the normal B&M and GCI.

Also, Amusement Insiders did a mockup layout for the coaster, and they had an inversion shortly before the spike. That's actually an interesting idea. Gravity Group has done inversions before and the permits definitely show that there could be a corkscrew there. Check it out.

Matt N

CF Legend
I think it could still be a 2021 opening, but maybe more like summer 2021 as opposed to start of the season.

As for the prospect of an inversion; that wouldn't surprise me, as this ride will be quite a lot larger than Switchback.

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
See, I'm interested in reading, but then you guys post the ass cancer that's amusement Insiders and I don't give a **** anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Dude. I was using the video to show the concept that I was talking about. It would be unfair to claim the idea as my own without giving them any credit for giving me the idea, and I don't have the tools to create a Planet Coaster or No Limits layout myself. C'mon.

i305_zack

Mega Poster
I believe 2021 opening, as this will help bring the attendance back up to what it used to be, this is a fantastic addition to the park and I really like it, nothing to small or large and will definitely attract some enthusiasts to get out to the park