What's new

Dollywood | Big Bear Mountain | Vekoma Family Launched Coaster | 2023

Hutch

Strata Poster
I second this!! A heavily inclined launch going up the hillside would be amazing for both the scenic views and unique coaster experience!
Hell yeah, that'd be ****ing great.

Oh wait.
OQLOIsR.jpg

Back to Mountain Sidewinder site, I can see a Helix type layout, especially with an inclining launch and many elements around the terrain.
Hopefully, I wanna see a massive dark ride as a Wildwood Grove Phase 2 rather than a coaster, just because I think a dark ride (like Underlandet in 2020 at Liseberg...but Sally Co-operation) in Wildwood Grove (in a new themed show building in that back area unused) is better cause a Mack Multi Launch works better on the Mountain Sidewinder site and its terrain.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
And it seems Dollywood is surveying for a new coaster. I want that hyper!
View attachment 4877
Isn't this what SDC did? The options being Time Traveller (which it was), or a B&M dive coaster? My only problem with a B&M hyper would it would basically be a less intense version of Lightning Rod. Whereas the likes of a Mack Rides hyper coaster would be totally different.

I second @Kw6sTheater. Where's your source?

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Isn't this what SDC did? The options being Time Traveller (which it was), or a B&M dive coaster? My only problem with a B&M hyper would it would basically be a less intense version of Lightning Rod. Whereas the likes of a Mack Rides hyper coaster would be totally different.

I second @Kw6sTheater. Where's your source?

Wait.. what?? How in any way would a B&M hyper be in anyway like Lightning Rod, a hybrid wooden launched coaster? Because of airtime? You make some weird statements sometimes..

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Wait.. what?? How in any way would a B&M hyper be in anyway like Lightning Rod, a hybrid wooden launched coaster? Because of airtime? You make some weird statements sometimes..
Read my post again. I said it would be like a LESS INTENSE version of Lightning Rod. They both provide airtime. They both provide height and speed. They both have many twists, turns, and no inversions. So yes, they are similar in some aspects. I never once mentioned anything about the launch or building material.

Matt N

CF Legend
I think the logic behind adding a B&M hyper would be that some non-enthusiasts (and enthusiasts) might find Lightning Rod a little too intense, so the hyper would provide something that would have a slightly wider appeal than Lightning Rod. Also, the hyper would likely place a great emphasis on height, which Dollywood does not really have at the moment (even though Wild Eagle and Lightning Rod are both allegedly 200ft tall, I wouldn't say height is really the main aim of either of them).

Anyway, I'd personally like the hyper most out of those options. Mako is fantastic, so I don't see why a B&M hyper wouldn't fit well into Dollywood. Also, the park already has two launch coasters (both of which were built relatively recently), so it would arguably be slightly more unique for Dollywood than a Mack XTREME Spinning Coaster would be.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
For how they're going to fit a hyper into Mountain Slidewinder's plot - my idea is that Dollywood could have a queue & station in that area and then have a layout that races over Mystery Mine to Wildwood Grove's perimeter and returns back down the hillside.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Read my post again. I said it would be like a LESS INTENSE version of Lightning Rod. They both provide airtime. They both provide height and speed. They both have many twists, turns, and no inversions. So yes, they are similar in some aspects. I never once mentioned anything about the launch or building material.
I keep thinking I keep reading the stupidest thing I've read on these boards, and then you have to go and obliterate it. Last I checked, a hyper doesnt have wave turns, launches, or a mother ****ing quad down. There is nothing similar in the experience. At. ****ing. All.

And Matt, nobody is complaining about LRod intensity. Hyper would be a completely unique experience in that park. There would be zero comparison.

Only thing better than a hyper would be a star flyer for the views. Views for ****ing days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Matt N

CF Legend
And Matt, nobody is complaining about LRod intensity. Hyper would be a completely unique experience in that park. There would be zero comparison
What I meant is that I've heard some people say that they find Lightning Rod and other RMCs slightly hard to reride due to the sheer strength of airtime and rapid fluctuation in g-forces, if you get what I mean.

In my personal opinion, a B&M hyper would definitely be different enough from Lightning Rod to coexist alongside it. While I haven't ridden any RMCs, I would presume the airtime sensation provided by something like Lightning Rod is quite different to the airtime sensation provided on a B&M hyper; when I rode Mako, for example, that ride provided strong, sustained airtime that had you out of your seat for a good couple of seconds, whereas I'd imagine that the airtime on an RMC is a lot more abrupt and comes at you in many different directions (e.g. sideways, even inverted in some cases). Add in the fact that Lightning Rod is wooden and launched, so is naturally going to feel quite different to a gravity-fed steel coaster from B&M anyway, and you have two rather different experiences. If the ride being surveyed for was an Intamin hyper akin to the one being built at Walibi Belgium, for example, I could see your concern to an extent, as many of Intamin's newer coasters do have quite a bit of RMC influence within them. But the coaster being surveyed for shows multiple photos of B&M hypers, so I'd presume the experience would be completely different.

Also, many parks have B&M hypers coexisting alongside extreme wooden coasters like Lightning Rod. Look at Six Flags Great Adventure, for example; they have El Toro and Nitro in the same park. And Six Flags Great America has Raging Bull and Goliath in the same park, although admittedly Raging Bull doesn't really focus on airtime as much as other hypers.

I think the Hyper Coaster option is great. As is the Spinning Coaster model. But honestly, the indoor coaster is the most underrated option cause there is a great opportunity for a backstory, masses of theming and many great track elements like track drops, side drops, etc. (like the Dynamic Attractions SFX Coaster)
I think something like Verbolten or Th13teen (track drop) is brilliant too!