What's new

Dollywood | Big Bear Mountain | Vekoma Family Launched Coaster | 2023

Pear

Strata Poster
After 32 years of operation, the Mountain Slidewinder at Dollywood is now closed and will not be operating anymore. Screamscape states:

On one sad note, Screamscape was also able to confirm that the park’s Mountain Slidewinders attraction had been officially “retired" after 32 years of service. Nothing has been done to it yet, but the entrance to the ride area has now been closed with the addition of a new fence.

Now as you can see below this frees up a lot of land with varying terrain. Perhaps we could see a major new coaster coming soon.

394aa0ca10f0de3d1b27e3dd3475922a.jpg

I'm a bit bummed about slidewinder closing it was a very fun ride, but seeing as how it never operated for the whole season and how much it frees up for future expansion, I can see why the decision was made. At least they still have their log flume as well!

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
I'm sad to see it go because it was at the top of my non-coaster want to ride list as it seemed fun and unique. that said I do understand why it's being retired. I'll be interested to see if and what the plot of land gets used for.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Now as you can see below this frees up a lot of land with varying terrain. Perhaps we could see a major new coaster coming soon.

394aa0ca10f0de3d1b27e3dd3475922a.jpg

I've been thinking this since November, when the Mountain Slidewinder website page at Dollywood disappeared! Some other people just brushed my findings off as since Mountain Slidewinder would be down until the summer when the water rides open at Dollywood. At ACE Winter Warm-Up, Mr. Owens was talking about how they were deciding Mountain Slidewinder to be retired or not - guess we found that out sooner than I expected. He said it would be down all season due to the construction crews being redirected to Wildwood Grove. A nice shiny MACK multilaunch would fit on that hill - or if I'm dreaming, a hyper.

On another note, however, I am really sad I didn't get to do this. I planned to ride Mountain Slidewinder someday, as the CoasterFORCE POV made it seem like it was quite the interesting attraction. I hope there are other rides like it in the world, but I seriously doubt that. Another One Bites the Dust.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Got to ride this a few times - it was a fun novelty that could really pack some speed if you rode towards the upper end of the weight limit. Can appreciate the ride meeting it's end, as it is a far more dated attraction versus newer rides and tech the park can install as overlap with the footprint.

Matt N

CF Legend
Always a shame to lose a classic attraction, but the site looks massive; I could definitely see potential in a new coaster utilising that land, although I was under the impression that Dollywood's next coaster was likely to use the leftover expansion land near Wildwood Grove. How does Mountain Slidewinder's area size compare to that of some of the Dollywood coasters, out of interest?

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Always a shame to lose a classic attraction, but the site looks massive; I could definitely see potential in a new coaster utilising that land, although I was under the impression that Dollywood's next coaster was likely to use the leftover expansion land near Wildwood Grove. How does Mountain Slidewinder's area size compare to that of some of the Dollywood coasters, out of interest?
Both Lightning Rod and Wild Eagle are quite a bit larger, but you could easily fit Mystery Mine or Firechaser into the plot, plus there's a load of land behind the theater which could be utilised for something larger, Thunderhead would just about fit into the larger space for example.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
When we spoke to Pete Owens at Dollywood on the live back in 2016 (he's a proper coaster goon, and a lovely, lovely guy by the way) he said he always wanted to see a B&M hyper like Fury pick up the original design aspirations of Tennessee Tornado with a huge out-and-back design up/down the valley. The Sidewinder plot would make a good location for the station or final turnaround. Won't happen, but we can dream. :D

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
How did I not know this existed when I was there last April?!?! I was probably too excited to get on Lightning Rod. Anyway, a huge B&M would look so good in that park with the terrain!

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
That coaster looks familiar! ;)

Let me clarify... a huge B&M like Fury would look great in that park with the terrain.

peep

CF Legend
Aww, that's a shame, was a fun attraction. Dollywood seem to know what they're doing when choosing new attractions, so I'm excited to see what is planned for that site.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Aww, that's a shame, was a fun attraction. Dollywood seem to know what they're doing when choosing new attractions, so I'm excited to see what is planned for that site.
So long as they're not choosing topple towers, climbing ropes courses, and river battle rides - yes they know how to pick a lasting ride!

But you are right @peep, Dollywood has been making large, quick moves in changing the park landscape - it is already a far cry from the park I originally visited in 2010; 4 new coasters (2 as family), an S&S Screamin' Swing, and the new 5 acre kiddie area have already adapted the park as a modern amusement park that can swing with many.

Matt N

CF Legend
Both Lightning Rod and Wild Eagle are quite a bit larger, but you could easily fit Mystery Mine or Firechaser into the plot, plus there's a load of land behind the theater which could be utilised for something larger, Thunderhead would just about fit into the larger space for example.
Ah right, thanks @DelPiero! I could definitely see something reasonably large going on the site, then!

Pear

Strata Poster
It's actually kind of incredible how much land this park still has. Wildwood Grove only takes up about 3/4 of the total train loop behind Thunderhead and there's another loop that hasn't been cleared yet.

373e87c657a6b6a9904ea8127736045c.jpg

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Pete said at ACE Winter Warm-Up that there is indeed a Phase II coming to Wildwood Grove. He didn't say anything else about it and proceeded to change the subject.

But he did tell me that "We are doing something in 2021" when I asked about the next thrilling expansion at Dollywood.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
Weren't there rumors of a B&M hyper being part of a phase 2 expansion of Wildwood Grove? Am I imagining (of wishing for) that?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It's actually kind of incredible how much land this park still has. Wildwood Grove only takes up about 3/4 of the total train loop behind Thunderhead and there's another loop that hasn't been cleared yet.

373e87c657a6b6a9904ea8127736045c.jpg
You mean 1/3rd. Wildwood Grove hardly taps into the available space back there. It's pretty insane to think about.

jay37415

Mega Poster
I believe I read that Dollywood cleared about 20 acres and Wildwood grove takes up about 7. (don't quote me) So they do have a lot more land to work with. Along with a lot of people,I have always had the speculation that the second phase of Wildwood grove would include a Mack multi launch. If that is the case, then I see a flat or two being installed where the landing is for Slidewinder. That part of the park could use a few more flats. That would make logical sense.

However, we know that Dollywood tends to push the envelope when it comes to coasters. Before Wildwood Grove was announced, I always said that hillside behind Showstreet would make a great location for a terrain Mack or Intamin. Picture a terrain Maverick. Slidewinder would make a great location for a station.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I always said that hillside behind Showstreet would make a great location for a terrain Mack or Intamin. Picture a terrain Maverick. Slidewinder would make a great location for a station.
I second this!! A heavily inclined launch going up the hillside would be amazing for both the scenic views and unique coaster experience!