What's new

Does I305 still cause blackouts

TJH

Roller Poster
It has been 1-2 years after the last modifications were made on the ride. So I am wondering do you guys know if the ride still causes blackouts?

BBH

Giga Poster
I have not ridden it but I'm sure there are still people that will black out on it, no matter what modifications they make. Trims/no trims, bigger/smaller turn, whatever, with a 300 foot roller coaster you're going to have blackouts and grey-outs.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
^^There is no right answer. It is all on a person by person basis. For me It is one of the 3 coasters I've ever blacked out on and that was in June

Intricks

Strata Poster
I didnt even grey out on it and I rode it twice, in the morning and I rode it without eating anything or drinking anything.

No clue what all the halleballoo is about over the forces :/

bmac

Giga Poster
Most I've gotten from i305 was a bad grey out, where you can see the fading out in your eyes but you're just not totally out yet. I hate i305 cause there's no way I can avoid greying out in some form in that damn turn, and it just ruins the ride for me because I have no clue what the hell is going on until that little bunny hill midway through the turns.

Nick P

Mega Poster
bmac said:
Most I've gotten from i305 was a bad grey out, where you can see the fading out in your eyes but you're just not totally out yet. I hate i305 cause there's no way I can avoid greying out in some form in that damn turn, and it just ruins the ride for me because I have no clue what the hell is going on until that little bunny hill midway through the turns.

This. I tried to stay hydrated as much as possible, but it still didn't help. I greyed out 4/5 times earlier this summer. The grey out ruined the first airtime hill for me--barely even noticed any airtime... :/

Intricks

Strata Poster
I dont understand how anyone can black/grey out on the ride to be honest. It feels like some of mavericks tighter turns, but nothing special.

Like I said, I didnt eat or drink and rode it twice first thing in the morning and nothing.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
^Like I said it's all on an individual basis. Some people have a lower tolerance to G-forces just like some people get way more motion sick or how some people have a much higher tolerance to pain.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
^ In all fairness, he was the only one of us man enough to marathon it.

On the topic at hand: yes, it still causes blacking out or graying out for many people. Most I've ever gotten from it is a good bit of graying, though, and I kind of like it. Some don't though, which is part of the reason that it's a controversial ride; it's usually rated either very highly, or very lowly, depending on who you ask.

nadroJ

CF Legend
If I ever blacked out on a coaster I'd be going to hospital, I hate the way people call greying out blacking out it's so stupid. Blacking out is like, a complete pass out including lack of consciousness and memory loss. If a coaster ever gave me that then I'd be seriously concerned.

Back on topic, the piece of **** that is i305 did indeed make me grey out, it was vile and I never hope to ride it again.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm skeptical anyone blacks out on it, but I and most others claim a loss of vision. Not the same. backing out is a loss of consciousness. It is the worst/best example of the vision loss phenomena though. Old Arrow loops do similar, but never as extreme.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Any roller coaster can cause a blackout. There are a number of factors that go into it, such as coaster g-force, outside temperature, and hydration of the person riding. If you have a dehydrated person riding a roller coaster in 100 degree heat - you can bet they are going to black out!

That was my case when I rode Laser at Dorney Park in 2005. It was 102 degrees out, and I had not been drinking my share of the water. I had total vision loss from the first loop to the final helix. I have ridden Laser and similar loopers since with no problems whatsoever - it was just at the time I was not fit for riding.

Error

Strata Poster
kimahri said:
+1 to it being **** and graying out.

It's just too constant with one thing on it.

This.

I greyed out during our ERT on it, which might be due to lack of water. It's weird since we did Skyrush the night before, 8 times in a row, and it was awesome. After 3 on I305 and I was done.

bmac

Giga Poster
Hyde244 said:
Any roller coaster can cause a blackout. There are a number of factors that go into it, such as coaster g-force, outside temperature, and hydration of the person riding. If you have a dehydrated person riding a roller coaster in 100 degree heat - you can bet they are going to black out!

That was my case when I rode Laser at Dorney Park in 2005. It was 102 degrees out, and I had not been drinking my share of the water. I had total vision loss from the first loop to the final helix. I have ridden Laser and similar loopers since with no problems whatsoever - it was just at the time I was not fit for riding.

Pretty much my experience with black outs, too. I can normally handle Nitro's helix and pretty much every other ride unless it's extremely hot out, the only time I greyed out on Nitro it was 104 outside (heat index) and I rode it about 4-5 circuits. Other than Nitro I've only greyed out on i305 and Mantis. It was in the high 90's when I rode Mantis and that was one of the last rides I had for the day, so I was pretty damn exhausted. I also started to feel the fading on B:TR, Talon, Apollo's, and even Backlot of all things.

But I mean i305 is just like the anomaly in my experience with coasters, I've ridden it at least 20 times this year and maybe twice I didn't grey out.