What's new

Does Disney set different requirements for coaster restraints than other parks?

bigblind

Roller Poster
At a recent trip to Disneyland Paris, I noticed that, as a bigger rider, I never ran into a case where a ride operator had to come and push my restraint further, where that is a regular occurrence in other parks (even on rides from the same manufacturer). Does Disney give ride manufacturers stricter requirements for rides to accommodating larger riders than other parks?

DillonBlanch

Roller Poster
Hi.
Disney parks do have specific requirements for ride manufacturers regarding the safety and comfort of their guests, including those who are larger or have disabilities. These requirements may be stricter than those of other parks.
For example, Disney has a policy called the Accessible Ride Vehicle (ARV) program, which requires ride manufacturers to design vehicles that can accommodate guests with disabilities, including those who use wheelchairs or have other mobility impairments. The ARV program also specifies that ride vehicles must be designed to accommodate guests of different sizes, including those who are larger.
In addition to the ARV program, Disney has a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) program, which provides assistance to guests with disabilities, including those who require special accommodations on rides. The GAC program may allow guests to use an alternate entrance or access vehicle modifications, such as larger seats or restraints, to accommodate their needs.
It is possible that the combination of these programs, along with Disney's emphasis on guest safety and comfort, may lead to ride manufacturers designing vehicles with larger restraints or other modifications that better accommodate larger guests. However, it is also possible that the ride experiences at Disneyland Paris simply happen to be more accommodating for larger riders.

Yes...most parks follow certain regulations to keep the insurance cost down. Disney has all the money in the world and doesn't care as long as they keep capacity up. They barely test rides unlike other parks, and on rides like Incredicoaster they have the riders push up on the restraints as opposed to the ride op's physically checking. Disney has in my opinion a little too much consumer trust, hence why we see so many incidents at the American Disney parks.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Yes...most parks follow certain regulations to keep the insurance cost down. Disney has all the money in the world and doesn't care as long as they keep capacity up. They barely test rides unlike other parks, and on rides like Incredicoaster they have the riders push up on the restraints as opposed to the ride op's physically checking. Disney has in my opinion a little too much consumer trust, hence why we see so many incidents at the American Disney parks.

I highly doubt Disney take unnecessary safety risks because they have money to have more expensive insurance.

I highly doubt Disney take unnecessary safety risks because they have money to have more expensive insurance.
It isn't that Disney is taking risk...other parks go to extremes to check restraints and such, they do that to keeps insurance down.

El Toro Ryan's video on Velocicoaster's capacity going down explains it much better.

Disney goes with a more European style where they do exactly what the manufacturer says. They try their best to keep wait times down so they do the bare minimum to "check" restraints.