What's new

Do you thank the ride-op?

nadroJ

CF Legend
I notice often that when I've been on a particularly embarrassing cred I always thank the ride-op after my ride. I only do this for +1s, never on 'proper' rides/coasters. Do you thank the ride-op?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I do it all the time, but that's because I'm filming. Ian even made fun of me once because I put my hands together and bowed like they do in Japan.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Having worked in ops for 4-5 years I always try to acknowledge park employees, especially by name.

The only time I expressed gratitude beyond a simple thank you was back in my "dark days" when I was at the fattest I ever was. The ride Op at Bizarro/Ride of Steel had to work to staple me into the seat, but managed to do it. Closest I came to the walk of shame. It also motivated me to drop a pound or two :)

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
If they're there I will pass a comment of thanks, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so. Why do Americans clap the ride op/coaster/ride whenever it finishes its circuit? I can't help but think it's slightly odd...

Casio

Mega Poster
I've never thanked an op for a ride itself, but I'll always say thank you when they check my harness, open the exit gate at the end etc. That's just common courtesy though, really

davidm

Strata Poster
Yeah I usually do, especially if I'm re-riding a few times; s'only good manners.

On shameful creds I do try to look embarrassed while I thank them.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm English, I thank everybody or apologise to them, or both all of the time. Particularly if they've been **** and then I do it through gritted teeth to show my distain ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Smithy

Strata Poster
Always, every ride, unless I've got a reason not to. Most of the time they don't seem to be expecting it, just holding a gate open looking bored to death as people silently stumble past them.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
As a past ride op / team leader myself, I understand just how stressful the job can be. It looks like a doss, but its not and to receive a thanks really makes your day a little better. I always say thanks, no matter how good or poor the service is.

BBH

Giga Poster
Unless the ride op is deliberately being an ass to me, then I'll thank them when they check my restraint, etc. I also profusely thanked the poor girl who operated the ride for me when I went on the kiddie cred in Florida.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm always sure to thank ride ops when they are tightening restraints or while walking out of the station. Also ask how ops are doing who staff the queue line, trying to offer some social engagement. Chock it up to Midwestern hospitality. :razz:

Pierre

Strata Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
As a past ride op / team leader myself, I understand just how stressful the job can be. It looks like a doss, but its not and to receive a thanks really makes your day a little better. I always say thanks, no matter how good or poor the service is.

I always say thanks but wouldn't say thanks if the service had been poor and it was down to the ops actions...

If they're there while I'm exiting the queue then yes, but I won't purposely go up to their booth and say thanks. I try to be friendly and polite in a stereotypical Canadian way. Sometimes I say "have a good day" instead, but thanks will do, too.

Ben

CF Legend
Not unless they do something specially good.

I don't get thanked just for doing my job, why should they? That's what they get paid for.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Ben said:

I don't get thanked just for doing my job, why should they? That's what they get paid for.

What about the Go Gator ride op's at Clacton and Mannings?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:

I'll bet that you do though. When you leave a client, they'll shake your hand and say "thank you".

I certainly do with anyone coming to see me at work.

Okay, I don't get it for completing a backup or normal part of my job, but for anything I do which is out of the ordinary I do. I think you need to work in a nicer place of when handing in a report to you manager, they don't say "thanks" just as a courtesy.