What's new

Disney's Hollywood Studios | Star Wars Galaxy's Edge | 2019 Park Expansion

emoo

Hyper Poster
This is not what I expected at all, but of course that's what it is. Looked a bit sparse to begin with but very impressed by the end.

Its basically Ratatouille with guns instead of rolling pins.

peep

CF Legend
I'm so torn. I don't want to spoil the ride for myself but it's going to be a few years probably before I get to ride it. I've also read lots of spoilery speculation over the past year or so.

Glad to hear it seems to be as impressive as Disney has been hyping it up to be. My Twitter feed is getting pretty excited for it's opening (I think official opening ceremony is today?) so will be interesting to see more reactions trickle in from riders.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Is this the last thing awaited in Galaxy's Edge before the whole land is finished?

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
I'm a Universal fan through and through, but I have to (painfully) say Disney have done an incredible job with this! As @spicy said, I think this has taken the crown of best dark ride in the world

Last edited:

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
As with most attractions that Disney puts out these days, it's all very tech-y, but creatively it's quite formulaic and predictable.

Watching that POV, everything was exactly as I expected. There was nothing that really piqued my curiosity.

It's all very flash but it lacks depth.

At least they added a minor thrill section with the lifts. It looks like it actually drops a little in that sequence towards the end.

UKCoasterFan

Mega Poster
Watched the ride through POV of Rise of the resistance and think it would be my favourite non coaster ride when/if I get a chance to ride it.
Stunning.
I've been incredibly disappointed with how Disney has tackled Star Wars. There were flashes of greatness in Force Awakens (mostly visually - sabers in the snow at night, some of the Falcon shots etc) and Rogue One was pretty good but the rest - Jesus H. Christ what a mess. I hardly ever want to switch off a movie at home but Solo I could hardly get through it and what Rian Johnson got away with was pure insanity and makes no sense within the Star Wars galaxy let alone the story telling conventions that were established.

Galaxy's Edge looked quite meh to me so far. I don't get the whole random outpost thing so much, nor do I think the highlight of Star Wars adventures usually takes place there. The way Galaxy's Edge looks it's more like something such as Tatooine; the place the heroes rise from and want to escape from to have an adventure elsewhere if you catch my drift.
Regardless of all that: This ride seems pretty much perfect to me. Obviously based on OT would have been even better but with what they have to work with now and how they have done this: WOW! Ratatouille and Tower of Terror were my favourite rides but this could definitely take the biscuit.

Maybe they should have waited with opening Galaxy's Edge till this ride was complete but I guess they are getting enough people through the gates anyway.

Now if only Disney got back to making more world class coaster experiences.... (I know there are a few on the way but still for the amount of parks they have I expect more)

Last edited:

Pear

Strata Poster
Gonna try and remain spoiler free for the next 2 or so years until I ride this. I managed to not spoil any of Flight of Passage for 3 years so fingers crossed I can do it again.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I'm just surprised that Kylo Ren still has his mask here.
That mask means the animatronic doesn't need any facial features whatsoever. It probably would have been twice as expensive, half as reliable, and falling way into the uncanny valley if they tried to model a face with moving parts.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That mask means the animatronic doesn't need any facial features whatsoever. It probably would have been twice as expensive, half as reliable, and falling way into the uncanny valley if they tried to model a face with moving parts.
The be fair, the Pirates ones are pretty incredible. Expensive I'm sure, but they work incredibly well.

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
And it's down (according to Alicia Stella). Queue has been emptied and return passes handed out. Looks like it's after Hagrid's crown of least reliable ride in Florida

spicy

Giga Poster
There’s so much going on and pushing the boundaries in this dark ride it’s almost allowed plenty of downtime.

Like, Hagrid is an Intamin launcher, there’s no way that should have been down as much as it was/is.

This is a different level.