What's new

Disney's Hollywood Studios | Star Wars Galaxy's Edge | 2019 Park Expansion

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
They just announced cast previews for WDW cast today. August 1st to 16th with the land opening on the 29th... So I'm sure DVC and Passholder previews will be between Cast and Grand Opening.
As far as soft opening for Rise... I wouldn't be surprised if it's opened intermittently upwards of a week prior
I truly hope so!

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Not that I keep track when it comes to flats... but I'm probably the first one here to get on Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run? I got to spend a few hours at Galaxy's Edge today. I rode the Millennium Falcon Ride three times. Each time the line was about 20 minutes and since there's no Fastpass or Rider Switch and minimal handicap accessible riders... the line never really stops moving and actually has really good capacity. I got to try all three positions. (Engineer, Gunner, Pilot) Pilot is the best....although as someone who doesn't really care about the Star Wars franchise, I feel like this ride has limited reride appeal. Its fun....but almost all the wow factor is gone after the first ride. If anything the ride system itself is way cooler than the actual ride experience. Although I was somewhat impressed the first go-around. But this is also the filler attraction for the land with Rise being the marquee attraction. I don't really see myself seeking out additional rides on this unless I was there with someone who either hadn't been on it yet or really wanted to go. The land is pretty cool and actually feels a lot bigger than I expected, they also did a really good job with the sight lines and you don't see any other parts of the park within Star Wars.. blue and green milk are gross and if you get a glass of each it runs about 13 dollars, AKA credits.

One of the three Jonas Brothers was also in the land filming some sort of promo.

Photos from the land

Photos from Smuggler’s Run

(Flight of Passage is a superior experience)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Is this formally open to the public now, then?

Offical_Pitchnoir

Roller Poster
69263110_10156605204993176_817042129913118720_n.jpg

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I had the chance to go with my sister for a cast preview. Here's my thoughts

Immersive! The scale of the thing is huge but it still feels very immersive.

I did the ride five times I think. I write my thoughts on that and the bar in a spoiler.

The ride queue is stunning! The pre-show is fun the first time but I found it a bit tedious after a couple of viewings. As for the ride my enjoyment varied depending on the role I got. First up is pilot, where you and another person fly the Falcon. One person controls the altitude and the other controls steering. I found it more fun to steer.

Gunner is the second role and in my opinion the worst. You literally just push buttons, there's no way of aiming other than getting the pilots to move the ship.
The third role is engineer, which you have to push buttons but you have to watch for when to do it. Overall the ride is great fun! You can actually fail your mission too, which I would have liked to have done just to see how the story changes. The story was slightly different in all of my rides.

The bar in Galaxy's Edge is brilliant too! Rex (I think that's his name) from Star Tours is the DJ and there's loads to look at in the bar itself.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I just can't imagine why anyone would actually want to go through all that waiting. I know there's the "I got to ride it opening day" bragging rights, but, really?

cookie

Giga Poster
FWIW it's 120 minutes now looking at the official app — still the longest at the resort by a sizeable margin though. Even if the initial hype wears off Rise of the Resistance is not too far away.

Ethan

Strata Poster
So it would seem that this land thankfully won't be having the same problems as California's in attracting guests!
Probably because Disney didn't black out the annual pass holders... Silly move on Disney's part, even though it may have seemed sensible beforehand. Hopefully Florida's Star Wars Land is more popular, even though it's based on a franchise that Disney is running into the ground haha.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Probably because Disney didn't black out the annual pass holders...
Yeah, but the number of WDW passholder is so, so much lower when compared to DLR, where basically every SoCal resident holds a pass.
For what it's worth, WDW *has* blocked out all cast admissions for the next 3 months... so that's some 70,000 Orlando locals who can't go...

Ethan

Strata Poster
Yeah, but the number of WDW passholder is so, so much lower when compared to DLR, where basically every SoCal resident holds a pass.
For what it's worth, WDW *has* blocked out all cast admissions for the next 3 months... so that's some 70,000 Orlando locals who can't go...
This is true, but Disney would have known this, which is why I still think it was a bad move to block out most of your customer base. Yeah, I know crowd control was the reason, but it seems Disney just pulled another Euro Disney opening.