What's new

Disneyland Paris Price Fixing Probe

nealbie

CF Legend
I know us enthusiasts have spoken out many times about DLP and their dodgy online prices depending on where you live, well they're finally under investigation. <3

Disneyland Paris faces pricing prob...5]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33697945[/url]

I personally complained in 2012 when booking for Ali and I, when we noticed that booking in French resulted in almost half of the value being wiped off the same package. We phoned their helpline and they let us purchase for the "French card only" price, but imagine the number of people who they con out of money who feel too awkward to complain.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I recall Asterix used to be like this too, where you saved about €5 booking online in the French site over the English version...

I believe they've stopped that, but it's no surprise whatsoever...

Ben

CF Legend
This may sound really dumb, but what difference is there between this and the cheaper tickets you can get for Florida by booking here that Americans can't get?

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
This may sound really dumb, but what difference is there between this and the cheaper tickets you can get for Florida by booking here that Americans can't get?
Because this is covered by European Union law. Consumers are apparently supposed to be able to shop around for the best deals within the EU but DLP are allegedly stopping people doing that.

peep

CF Legend
Ben, that's exactly what I was thinking. Apart from its the other way around, cheaper for the locals so they go more frequently.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. Apparently this is just one of lots of things they will be investigating so it's not like it's just Disney doing it (not saying it changes anything, just pointing out that it's common practice).

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Martyn B

CF Legend
I've come across quite a few attractions that offer discounts for local residents.... same thing here isn't it?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ That doesn't explain the different pricing between UK and Germany though.

The whole country being "local" is dubious as well.

Ben

CF Legend
Robbie said:
Ben said:
Because this is covered by European Union law. Consumers are apparently supposed to be able to shop around for the best deals within the EU but DLP are allegedly stopping people doing that.

So isn't that a bit hypocritical of people to cry about this but not about Florida doing it in our favour, regardless of being in the EU or not?

I really don't see the issue with this to be honest.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Ben said:
So isn't that a bit hypocritical of people to cry about this but not about Florida doing it in our favour, regardless of being in the EU or not?

Bingo. While this case may make sense under EU law, it is difficult to rationalize under other law schemes. There are a number of services and products I can buy for cheaper the closer I am to where it is produced/sold.

As for transactional payment, surely there are credit cards available that work in all EU nations? Even America, which is only just now making it required to include RF chips in our cards (... by the end of 2016), has plenty of credit cards that are able to work in any nation for little to no international transaction fee.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Ben said:
This wasn't true when I last went - since Kyle and I can actually check stuff like this to get a better deal. The prices for Universal at least were the same between UK and USA! No idea about Disney, I don't pay for WDW.

Ben

CF Legend
^It's Disney more that do it - they advertise loads of 14 day tickets as being 'exclusive' to the UK and not purchable elsewhere.

The other parks do it but it's usually more the hopper for the other four parks rather than just Universal.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
Robbie said:
Ben said:

Oh, yeah. Just saying that's the difference. Unfortunately, when the EU get involved with stuff like this they usually end up **** it up for everyone.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Right, so I've just realised that I'm now a victim of this "scandal". Last week I booked and paid £635 for a trip to DLP, and I've just checked the price on the French site, and it's coming out at €535 (£411).

Is there anything I can do? I'd ring up their customer line, but as I've already paid, I guess they won't do much...

AJ

Giga Poster
^ Maybe try ringing and cancelling, refund and then book online again. There shouldn't be a cancellation fee, and even if there is, I doubt it would be the difference in prices you've mention above (200).

Martyn B

CF Legend
Cancellation fee is 35%, which came out at £222.25, but I botched and they eventually let me cancel and rebook the French offer.

£411 for 3 nights/4 days in the Sequoia Lodge is a pretty sweet price!