What's new

Disney (WDW & Disneyland) | The Princess & The Frog | Splash Mountain retheme | 2024

Ethan

Strata Poster
A lot of Disney fans seems unhappy that the new name doesn't include Splash Mountain in it!
Tbh I think they didn't really have a choice with that, as I'm sure you'd agree. Probably a good idea to distance the ride from it's questionable past theme, but I just wish the new title had a bit more life to it!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, bet that name look them ages to come up with. I'm here for the Splash Mountain re-theme, it's needed, but why are Disney so bad at naming attractions recently? It just feels so bland and obvious.
Probably the same reason as Universal's extremely lengthy and keyword-ridden names: somebody upstairs mandated that the ride's name included a brand reference, i.e. that Tiana's name had to be there. "Bayou adventure" is awfully non-descript and irrelevant, though. Aren't bayous mostly known for stagnant or at least slow-moving water? There's nothing about the name that suggests a white-knuckle water splash ride.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I also came here to laugh in the faces of whoever came up with that name. They're all starting to blend in with each other, and I may be in the minority when I say a bad or boring name like that can also diminish my hype for it. The name makes me feel... nothing.

I saw someone suggest 'Frog Flume' which resonates with me much more. Then put the forced brand reference in it and you get 'Tiana's Frog Flume' which is both fun to say and far more memorable than whatever 'Bayou Adventure' is supposed to mean.

I may be very much in the minority here it seems but I quite Tiana’s Bayou Adventure as a name, that's what it will be themed around, a trip down the Bayou. To me Frog Flume sounds cheap and nasty like something at your local fairground. It's certainly less of a mouthful than some of Disney's recent offerings (Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind I'm looking at you specifically).

I do wonder though if the whole area gets rethemed to a more New Orleans theme along with the river boat and some of the buildings as without the change it could look a little out of place and a it hodge podge. I'm not sure what to do with Big Thunder Mountain though.

EDjanaika

Mega Poster
Tbh I think they didn't really have a choice with that, as I'm sure you'd agree. Probably a good idea to distance the ride from it's questionable past theme, but I just wish the new title had a bit more life to it!
Yh it was thinking exactly that's the reason why they didn't use Splash Mountain in the title! As for the new title i agree as well!

cocoa

Mega Poster
Yeah, i think we need to stop being surprised that theme parks are giving their rides SEO-friendly names. I personally don't mind bayou adventure or whatever, I think bayou is a vibey word. Plus, they probably want to be able to put out ads that make it seem like a totally new attraction, so they would distance it a bit from splash mountain.

Projektion

Mega Poster
Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom closes 23rd January

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
Going to be depressing later this year when I visit WDW and can't go on Splash. Such a brilliant ride.
I really hope they keep the music in there somehow at least, even if its a tiny bit.

cookie

Giga Poster

Dan Nguyen

Roller Poster
I'm just glad they're not using facial projections like some of their previous rides (Frozen, Seven Dwarfs). The animatronic looks much more lifelike.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm just glad they're not using facial projections like some of their previous rides (Frozen, Seven Dwarfs). The animatronic looks much more lifelike.
I rode Epcot's Frozen for the first time last week, after having done the Hong Kong version a few times. The difference in the animatronics makes a huge difference to the quality of the ride.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I just had a shower thought: The name "Splash Mountain" was always disconnected from the theme of this ride, and it has become a very iconic name. I think it will return some day. They're giving it a new name for now, to underscore how the ride has been refurbished, but I would not be surprised if it was rebranded as "Splash Mountain: Tiana's Bayou Adventure" within a couple of years, and then dropping the subtitle entirely a few years after that. Until then, Disney will probably have to deal with thousands of confused tourists asking where the entrance to Splash Mountain is, because they see the iconic attraction from afar but can't find the name on the park maps or signage.