What's new

Disabled man awarded £5,300 for getting stuck in Disney Ride

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, you read right. A man has been awarded damages for getting stuck on "It's a small world"... It's a pathetic world maybe ;)

I've not checked sources or the truth or anything...

9959_10151503979193374_1014632206_n.jpg

Linky:
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/ ... mages.html

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: Disabled man awarded £5,300 for getting stuck in Disney

Annnnnd there's another reason why disabled people aren't allowed to do anything at most parks.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Intricks

Strata Poster

.....wat.....

I have literally just gagged from laughing so hard at the hilarity of this story.

Hell, I got stuck on the ride when I went to Disney World 10+ years ago for a little over an hour! Does this mean I can sue Disney as well due to the mental stress and anxiety hearing that song continuously caused me?

It is bad that it hapoened and I know I should feel bad, but even knowing you are prone to panic attacks and you are going into a large, enclosed building on a packed boat should have made something click to make you sit that one out.

Beans

Hyper Poster

I bet others will jump on the bandwagon now..."OOOh I got stuck, hey it must be worth it, lets go for compensation" If I had done that over the many times I have been on a ride that got stuck I would be rich now...
And with most rides do they not have a disclaimer about high blood pressure, and other such medical conditions.

Lottie.

Mega Poster

Welcome to our world where we will sue anyone for anything :roll: Although being stuck on 'Its a small world' would probs drive me insane :p

Intricks

Strata Poster

^^ For the more intense rides, yes. From my memory of the one down at D-World, there is nothing beyond a "Dont stand" and "No Splashing" I believe in terms of warnings.

Xpress

Strata Poster

Congratulations you selfish and ungrateful git, now **** off and crawl back in your hole.

Nic

Strata Poster

Am I imagining things, or is it not really unusual for the actual details of a settlement with Disney to hit the press? I thought that their legal department made everything so ridiculously watertight that everyone who ended up with a Disney payout had to sign gagging orders and **** only knows what else?

nadroJ

CF Legend

Xpress said:
Congratulations you selfish and ungrateful git, now **** off and crawl back in your hole.

He can't CRAWL he's in a WHEELCHAIR, god, so insensitive ;]

Read this on ScreamScape, made me lol. Apparently Disney are appealing it because it's DUMB. The safest thing to do was have him stay put because the evac route was unsafe for somebody in a wheelchair. And apparently he was stuck for like, 40 mins, which ScreamScape worked out was *about* the same as voluntarily doing the ride twice back to back. Traumatic? I think not.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

What an absolute cretin. I hope Disney successfully appeals because the ramifications of this could potentially cause all manner of ridiculous ****.

marc

CF Legend

Makes me laugh as in many parks they would not even be able to ride.

Maybe Disney should just not let people in wheel chairs ride at all, watch the uproar then.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster

If Disney pays everyone that gets stuck on their rides, they'd go bankrupt in a year or two.

Luxornv

Mega Poster

If the music was constantly looped, I think he may have a case.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster

"Stuck inside hell of Disney Small World"

LOL!

I'd probably just have to kill myself if I heard that song over and over. I thought 5 minutes of the ride would make it stick in my head, just imagine an hour!

Robbie

Hyper Poster

My old boss was once stuck on the Paris one for 90 minutes and they kept the music going. Heehehehehehe.

(He didn't sue)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

This has wound me up so much I feel a need to post again.

When a ride gets stuck, a message should be spoken on the tanoy explaining the situation. This should be repeated every few minutes with updated information, especially if the first one was automated. After being stuck for more than 5-10 minutes at maximum, attraction music really should be stopped, house lights should really come on and a member of staff should come round to each ride vehicle where possible to speak to guests and answer any questions. Yeah, they are just going to ask "when will it be working again" and yeah, the staff won't know, but sitting there wondering is half of what annoys people. They just want a human to speak to and reassure them until evacuation can begin. These are all faults on Disney's part. Perhaps it was inexperienced staff on the ride that day, and whilst you might argue "it's common sense", I imagine being out of the way in the control box especially when dealing with perhaps your first ever major breakdown and evacuation, it would be easy to forget or overlook it. But why, in the hours it was taking to evacuate, had none of the staff who'd been in the ride area came back to control and said "we need the music turned off!" and really, had no guest moaned about it during the evacuation... At all?! Why had no senior staff been around during those hours to turn it off, either? And if it's against Disney policy to turn it off, then we have to ask why? Is this a break in the magic, and is that more important than H&S?

Well, letting those who can't walk on rides is a H&S problem in the first place.

There's a reason those who cannot walk are not aloud to ride anything at other parks and why new attractions around the world choose against making them "accessible" to disabled guests. In the event of evacuation, it's next to impossible to get severely disabled people off rides - both mental and physical. The carers accompanying this fully-grown-man are not going to be able to carry him.

I think that should actually be part of the disabled rule. You have to have 2 carers, and they have to sign a declaration that they are able and willing to carry the disabled person. It would need to be explained that, in the event of an evacuation it might be impossible safety get them off the ride unless they can do so and that in the event of an emergency they would need to do it quickly. This would mean that children still get to ride and enjoy things.

Disney are fairly alone in their "exceptional" disabled access, but the reality is that putting a wheelchair space on a ride is not making it accessible if it's impossible to evacuate people from it. Had there been a fire, this man would likely be dead. Other parks cannot afford the risk and so do not provide such access. With Disney, it barely scratches them. And the same applies to their height restrictions.

This man has a legitimate complaint with Disney - they should have turned off the music, and if he was unable to be easily evacuated from the ride in such an event, he should have been made aware (and in my opinion, unable to ride). But a lawsuit? This is a complaint to take up directly with Disney. Looking at the story again, it turns out he only "endured" the song for "over half an hour" and part of his complaint was that he needed desperately a wee. $8k for needing a wee and listening to It's a Small World for half an hour? I bet the staff wish they got $64k a day each for working the ride.

TLDR: This man is an example why disabled guests who are unable to walk are no longer not aloud on so many rides around the world. Disney should have shut off the music and make disabled guests aware that they may be unable to easily evacuate most of their rides.