What's new

Describing your interest in all things coaster to people?

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Hi, all, I hope this is the right place for this topic, if not mods feel free to move it!

How do you describe your enthusiasm or interest in theme parks or coasters to non-enthusiast friends or people you meet?

Despite visiting parks being a popular past time for the average person, being particularly interested in theme parks seems to come with "nerdy" or "loser" connotations for most (see the depiction of coaster enthusiasts in one Simpson's episode for one).

So what sort of experiences have you had when telling people about your interest in parks and rides? Are they usually positive or negative? Do you even tell people or do you prefer to keep it on the down low? Do you just happen to always meet people who think it's cool? Do you think it varies with age or sex as to whether people think it's good or not?
Do tell!

Personally I've had people give me confused "why on earth would you be interested in that???" sort of reactions which make me wonder whether I should be telling people or not! haha!

nadroJ

CF Legend
Re: Describing your interest in all things coaster to people

I just say I'm a big theme park nerd. I've never had anyone be rude or dismissive about it, they usually start asking me what my favourite such and such is.

nealbie

CF Legend

I think the stigma attached to coaster enthusiasm is primarily (and perhaps almost exclusively) found in America. No doubt because of the long standing reputation of ACE members.

Anyone who knows about my interest thinks it's nothing short of cool and certainly much more exciting than collecting stickers and stamps! So I've never had a problem with telling people at all. :)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I'm not ashamed to be a goon.

Most people react positively but if somebody mocks it, I put it in a different context. The example I always use is football.

There are people out there who could name every player in their favourite football team, how many goals they've scored, what injuries they've had and who they used to play for. That's incredibly nerdy but somehow more socially acceptable.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

nealbie said:
Anyone who knows about my interest thinks it's nothing short of cool and certainly much more exciting than collecting stickers and stamps!)

Erm excuse me? There is nothing wrong with being a philatelist :p I find it very interesting (but I can understand the 'dull' stigma attached).

I don't consider it a 'secret', having said that, stereotypically, it isn't really known as a hobby to others, you can say:
'I like visiting theme parks', they'll reply:
'omg same! Have you ridden that fast, tall one at Alton Towers?',
'there isn't a tall one at Alton Towers...'
'yes there is, ugh what's it called..Stealthily?'
'you mean Stealth...at Thorpe Park?'
'That's it!'

Yes, I have had that conversation before :p

For this reason I just make sure they know its actually my hobby, collecting creds and parks if you like :p I'll tell them manufactures and about rides in parks elsewhere in the world...they'll slowly walk away and never talk to me again.

I love what I do and can't see why I wouldn't tell anyone.

ThomVD

Giga Poster

I find that a lot of people find everything "nerdy" or "for losers" if they don't share the hobby. If you love games, you're a loser. If you love theme parks, you're a weirdo. If you love fantasy/science fiction films, you're a nerd. If you're into rock/metal music, you're a goth. etc. etc. Basically you're only allowed to do/like what the majority is doing. And you can't love something too much or know a lot about it, because then you're autistic... I've been called that just because I happen to know a lot of facts about some of my hobbies. I'd have to hide that I like Star Wars, Harry Potter, or that I love more games than just shooting or sport games. I've noticed this a lot in the Netherlands and that might be why I have more foreign friends than Dutch friends (obviously there are exceptions).

Why is going out and getting drunk every night or being a massive football geek fine, and you can't love coasters or video games? Admittedly the stigma against gaming is decreasing lately, but it's still there. Playing an RPG is still considered "nerdy" for example.

I used to hide a lot of my hobbies and tastes, but nowadays I've learned to just not give a damn and do what I want. If someone doesn't respect or take my hobbies seriously, then they're not a friend. My friends are fine with whatever I'm into, so I don't have to hide anything from them. Even if they're not into parks, they show interest. I don't drink, don't go to clubs and don't listen to dance/rap music because I simply don't like it. I'm lucky enough to have found people who are the same or at least respect it. I've had people telling me some of the most unusual hobbies, and I like it, I like variety and I like how it's something different than football fan #9999999.

So basically be yourself and whoever doesn't like you the way you are, aren't worth your time. Sorry if I went slightly off topic, but I feel that this relates with a lot of more things, and it's something that's wrong with this society in my opinion.

As for how I tell people... I just say "I'm a big theme park/coaster fan". And I only tell it to people that are worth telling it to.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster

I always tell people. I just say one of my hobbies is travelling around, visiting as many theme parks as possible. The general reaction is that it is a cool hobby to have and is different to most peoples.
It is a good conversation starter as most people have been to a park at some point and it brings back happy memories for them.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

"It's a fun hobby, and riding roller coasters is a lot more exciting than collecting stamps."

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

I'm glad to have started this thread as there have been some interesting replies so far!

As a lot of you have said, I also don't care about what people think (to an extent). I don't think many people would be doing it in the first place if they were that bothered about that as it is an unusual thing to get into that attracts people who might be into other 'nerdy' things as well.

I'm female and the only people I think who I've mentioned it to who have given me weird reactions have been girls. I think I'd get a similar reaction if I was into certain games or other male orientated hobbies though. Mass generalisation here but I think girls can be more image conscious and consequently less open to weird hobbies. Guys generally don't seem to care what hobbies you're into. Of course there are exceptions to the rules- this is just from my experience! My close friends are totally cool with it, it's mostly people I don't know so well who happen to bring up parks in conversation who are then confused by it.

Again, nobody is really offensive about it or rude, but the reaction does differ between people!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Everyone that asks me about it thinks it's very "cool" and they wish they could do what I do, but always seem to have an excuse for not riding coasters (bad back, afraid of heights, motion sickness, etc.). However, many of my "non-coaster" friends have actually started riding coasters because of me and love to tell me about it each time they get to ride one.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

ECG said:
However, many of my "non-coaster" friends have actually started riding coasters because of me and love to tell me about it each time they get to ride one.

Haha yeah, I get this.

'Ooooh isn't Saw really good?', 'no, no it is not'.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster

I'm glad someone started this topic.

For me, saying "I'm a roller coaster enthusiast" to people just feels weird and bit nerdy. But there seems to be this social thing where if you admit you're a nerd about something people don't see you as so nerdy. So when someone asks what my interests are, I say something like "I have a bit of an unusual hobby - I'm a massive roller coaster nerd." After that I find people are more accepting and often quite interested.

It helps if the person has actually been on a few coasters as well, as opposed to when they reply with "Oh, I can't stand roller coasters" and the conversation just dies right there.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Jamesss said:
For me, saying "I'm a roller coaster enthusiast" to people just feels weird and bit nerdy.

I have to agree with Jamesssssssssssssssssssssssss here. I cringe when I say 'I'm a roller coaster enthusiast', if feels so nerdy, odd and even a little childish, I don't know what it is about it, I'll say I like visiting parks around the world. When cred whoring and trying to get a burdenous cred I'll say 'I need the cred' and they have usually had enough [strike]fools[/strike] goons asking for the same so know what I'm on about. I will resist saying 'oooh, I'm a roller coaster enthusiast', I know thats what I am but it just doesn't sound right...it's hard to put my finger on why really.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster

Ian said:
Most people react positively but if somebody mocks it, I put it in a different context. The example I always use is football.

When I gave a crap about what people thought about my park tripping's, I always used sports as my example. People in the States do that crap where they try and see a baseball game at every stadium or whatever... How is me going to every park any different?

I actually became very closeted about my park fandom. I don't really bring it up or talk about it outside of the coaster community and when people I work with bring it up I try and shy away from it and keep it to myself. After being on Bert the Conqueror (season 1) someone approached me at work saying like... "you're the guy who loves roller coasters aren't you! Yes you are!" ....as I embarrassingly denied the allegation.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

CanobieFan said:
I don't really bring it up or talk about it outside of the coaster community and when people I work with bring it up I try and shy away from it and keep it to myself. After being on Bert the Conqueror (season 1) someone approached me at work saying like... "you're the guy who loves roller coasters aren't you! Yes you are!" ....as I embarrassingly denied the allegation.
I think a lot of people's perception is how the an individual's enthusiasm is delivered. Mu uncle is obsessed with collecting British coins. To me, that is not an interesting hobby but when he showed me his collection and started to explain that there are over 30 different £1 coin designs to collect and some are really rare, his enthusiasm rubbed off on me. Ok, so I'm not going to start collecting coins but I developed an appreciation for what he enjoys and I genuinely enjoyed talking about it for 10 mins or so.

Whenever I have talked about being a theme park enthusiast, I try to inject a bit of passion in it, talk about the park that they have recently visited and inform them of what's new. A couple of my mates look forward to a day out a park with me because I reel off statistics, a little history about the park and rides and explain why I think something is good or bad.

Please don't think I'm saying that you shouldn't shy away from it if that's what makes you feel comfortable. Theme park and rollercoaster are cool things and it's our duty to make sure everybody gets to ride them!

SilverArrow said:
I think I'd get a similar reaction if I was into certain games or other male orientated hobbies though. Mass generalisation here but I think girls can be more image conscious and consequently less open to weird hobbies. Guys generally don't seem to care what hobbies you're into. Of course there are exceptions to the rules- this is just from my experience!
I think you're right, but it's the same with blokes too. You get these idiotic alpha males where it's all beer, grrr, football, grrr, birds, grrrr, fight, grrrr, drive a bright orange Ford Focus whilst wearing a baseball cap, grrr. They think anybody who detracts from that is abnormal. Wouldn't it be a dull world if we all liked the same thing or were too image conscious to express ourselves?!

Smithy

Strata Poster

Those people are called LADS, Ian, and you clearly just can't handle the banter.

Seriously though I **** hate those people.

I've never had to really describe myself as a coaster enthusiast, it's only really in the past 12 months when I've openly discussed that I've got a coaster count going that people have picked up on it but it's just sort of a running joke that when we go away on holiday it'll be to somewhere with a theme park because that's what we always do. If someone I'd never met were to ask me about hobbies it'd probably be one of the last things I mentioned, not through any sort of shame but just because I don't visit theme parks regularly enough to justify it being one of the first points of conversation.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team

From the offset, I don't go out of my way to inform anyone that I am a goon, it's one of those things where if people take the time to properly get to know me then they'll find out over time.

Most of the people in my life don't really get it, but I refuse to downplay my enthusiasm, because you shouldn't have to hide the things that make you happy. Being excitable and lighting up over something is WAY better than being too cool for school.

Still, I always feel distinctly aware of the 'unusualness' of the hobby when talking to people about it. Many people see theme parks as a place to visit on rare occasion, and can't comprehend why anyone would need to go to so many, so often. Or why the sight of a Big Apple is exciting. Or why Nemesis Inferno ISN'T the same as Nemesis...etc.

Sometimes I feel as though my family look down on it a bit: I'm gallivanting around riding kiddie creds, whilst my sister's actually having kids, like a responsible adult.

I've received a few "why haven't you grown out of that by now?" comments from them. Which irks me slightly, as they wouldn't be saying the same thing if I were enthusiastic about the property market or football or whatever is deemed socially acceptable to like these days.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

ThomVD said:
I find that a lot of people find everything "nerdy" or "for losers" if they don't share the hobby. If you love games, you're a loser. If you love theme parks, you're a weirdo. If you love fantasy/science fiction films, you're a nerd. If you're into rock/metal music, you're a goth. etc. etc.

I'm into all of these things :lol:

And football, but then again I'm in the side of going to the games, rather than sat in a Spoons all Sunday afternoon watching Sky Super Duper Sunday... Certainly not part of the LAD BANTA culture that seems to prevail it these days...

I don't tend to talk about the goon side of life at work, though after time (mainly through Facebook) people have realised what I go and do on my numerous trips across the globe... Coasters/Theme Parks are of course on the rather obtuse side of things to be interested in, and it's not really something that can be always discussed at length because the vast majority of people aren't really into it beyond the odd day out...

People from uni/college know full well the extent of it all though, but most of the time there's other things to talk about instead in those situations... Coaster chat is for coaster people in my world, unless there's something major happening in the UK, or I've been asked for some helpful tips...

nadroJ

CF Legend

Radaxian said:
I've received a few "why haven't you grown out of that by now?" comments from them. Which irks me slightly, as they wouldn't be saying the same thing if I were enthusiastic about the property market or football or whatever is deemed socially acceptable to like these days.

I hate this! I've gotten a lot of 'oh you'll have to stop doing that so much now you've got a real job!' Like, no? Why would I stop doing what I love? It is really ridiculous how much people want you to conform which would eventually lead to misery. I had a go at my mum for saying it once and I think she got the point, my family most enjoy hearing me talk about the latest place I've been when asked but In general I don't bring it up unless probed to.

ThomVD

Giga Poster

^ Didn't you know? If you reach the age of 21, you're not allowed to have fun anymore. Just some basic life rules :wink:. Seriously though, people who say that usually don't have anything they love to do in their lives, so they throw their frustration on people actually having hobbies and stuff they love to do in their spare time. There is nothing wrong with loving coasters at any age. Same goes for gaming.

Nemesis Inferno said:
ThomVD said:
I find that a lot of people find everything "nerdy" or "for losers" if they don't share the hobby. If you love games, you're a loser. If you love theme parks, you're a weirdo. If you love fantasy/science fiction films, you're a nerd. If you're into rock/metal music, you're a goth. etc. etc.

I'm into all of these things :lol:

Ha, then you're a weird nerdy goth loser!!!

Join the club :wink: .