What's new

Deno's Wonder Wheel Park | Phoenix | Vekoma Suspended coaster | 2021

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Did not see this coming at all!

"Deno’s was never able to open in 2020 and celebrate the 100th anniversary of its famed Wonder Wheel. Nevertheless, the park’s owners are making their biggest investment ever with Phoenix, a suspended family thrill coaster. Why are they taking the risk?

“It’s an important time to rebuild,” says Deno “DJ” Vourderis, a third-generation member of the family that owns and operates the park. “We’re betting on the future of New York City and Coney Island.”

The historic amusement area, which played a critical role in the development of roller coasters, had about 30 thrill machines at its height. Nearly all of them closed as Coney Island suffered setbacks. The resilient seaside haven has been on the upswing lately, and coasters once again line the boardwalk. Phoenix will take its place alongside newer rides such as Thunderbolt as well as the classic Cyclone.
At 68 feet tall and a top speed of about 34 mph, the custom-designed coaster will occupy a sweet spot. It will deliver thrills, but it will be accessible to younger children and those who might be intimidated by bigger, faster rides. One element will be an extremely banked turn. “It’ll be about as upside down as you can go for a family coaster,” Vourderis says.

The name, Phoenix, represents the sensation of flight that the suspended coaster will deliver. Its trains will hang beneath the tracks, and passengers will soar through the course on floorless, ski lift-like cars with their feet dangling. But, according to Vourderis, the name also signifies rebirth.

“When this (pandemic) is all over, I think we will have another Roaring '20s,” he says. “We will most certainly rise from the ashes and give birth to the best of times at Coney Island.”"

Looks like a Vekoma.

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Did not see this coming at all!

"Deno’s was never able to open in 2020 and celebrate the 100th anniversary of its famed Wonder Wheel. Nevertheless, the park’s owners are making their biggest investment ever with Phoenix, a suspended family thrill coaster. Why are they taking the risk?

“It’s an important time to rebuild,” says Deno “DJ” Vourderis, a third-generation member of the family that owns and operates the park. “We’re betting on the future of New York City and Coney Island.”

The historic amusement area, which played a critical role in the development of roller coasters, had about 30 thrill machines at its height. Nearly all of them closed as Coney Island suffered setbacks. The resilient seaside haven has been on the upswing lately, and coasters once again line the boardwalk. Phoenix will take its place alongside newer rides such as Thunderbolt as well as the classic Cyclone.
At 68 feet tall and a top speed of about 34 mph, the custom-designed coaster will occupy a sweet spot. It will deliver thrills, but it will be accessible to younger children and those who might be intimidated by bigger, faster rides. One element will be an extremely banked turn. “It’ll be about as upside down as you can go for a family coaster,” Vourderis says.

The name, Phoenix, represents the sensation of flight that the suspended coaster will deliver. Its trains will hang beneath the tracks, and passengers will soar through the course on floorless, ski lift-like cars with their feet dangling. But, according to Vourderis, the name also signifies rebirth.

“When this (pandemic) is all over, I think we will have another Roaring '20s,” he says. “We will most certainly rise from the ashes and give birth to the best of times at Coney Island.”"

Looks like a Vekoma.
From the quote 'One element will be an extremely banked turn' sounds like the model at Dollywood & Energylandia etc

Matt N

CF Legend
Wow; what an unexpected announcement! I didn’t even know that this park had enough space for a ride like this! (Deno’s Wonder Wheel Park is the small place by Luna Park with not much there bar the Wonder Wheel itself, isn’t it?)!

In terms of what type of ride it is, it says that it’s “custom-designed”, and the stats don’t match those of the 453m SFC (Orkanen/Dragonflier), so I’d expect a custom layout here.
EDIT: According to RCDB, the park also has a small kiddie coaster from SBF assembled ready for 2021 that formerly operated at IAAPA 2019: https://rcdb.com/17859.htm

Last edited:

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
Wow; what an unexpected announcement! I didn’t even know that this park had enough space for a ride like this! (Deno’s Wonder Wheel Park is the small place by Luna Park with not much there bar the Wonder Wheel itself, isn’t it?)!

In terms of what type of ride it is, it says that it’s “custom-designed”, and the stats don’t match those of the 453m SFC (Orkanen/Dragonflier), so I’d expect a custom layout here.
EDIT: According to RCDB, the park also has a small kiddie suspended coaster from SBF assembled ready for 2021 that formerly operated at IAAPA 2019: https://rcdb.com/17859.htm
Are you sure that it’s a suspended kiddie coaster? The coaster that operated at IAAPA was sit-down

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Could be an S&S Family Invert like the one at Dutch Wonderland maybe? They look quite similar to the Vekoma SFCs. Good addition anyway!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Could be an S&S Family Invert like the one at Dutch Wonderland maybe? They look quite similar to the Vekoma SFCs. Good addition anyway!
The concept image says Vekoma on the fencing around the coaster.

And considering how big of a failure Merlin's Mayhem was, I doubt they will sell many more, if at all.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
How was Merlin's Mayhem a failure? Other than a delayed opening, it looks like an awesome family ride
It was delayed by a year, ngl but that seems to bit a bit of a failure to me, not to mention I have heard better things about the ride experience of the Vekoma SFCs.

On another note, I'm just gonna post the image of the concept art on here for convenience:-

1608646957373.png

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The delay had nothing to do with the coaster. It was the park that failed to submit the application for the tunnel to the city.
Thanks for the clarification, I always thought it was because the coaster was problematic.

Still though, there must be some reason why Vekoma has sold several SFCs since Merlin's Mayhem and S&S has sold none. Company reputation maybe, even though they are both Sansei subsidaries?

Changa

Mega Poster
It could be that Sansei saw the success of the SFC, assigned S&S to manufacture a variant for the US market, but the Vekoma models were so appealing that parks insisted for them instead. By the time the first few had been shipped, a supply chain was set up and the S&S model was obsolete?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
But having ridden the S&S model at Dutch Wonderland, it's far better than the Vekoma models like the Cedar Fair parks have, or the style Fun Spot has... I might give the Dollywood model the lead tho'
But yeah, the news of this Deno coaster was a massive surprise haha.

Matt N

CF Legend
That looks like pretty good fun; a nice middle-ground of sorts between the 395m model (Freedom Flyer/Kvasten/Pterosaur, amongst others) and the 453m model (Orkanen/Dragonflier/Dragon Rollercoaster, amongst others)!

Do you guys think we could see this become another stock SFC layout that Vekoma sells numerous of, or do we think this will stay custom?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Actually looks pretty cool for a family ride. I'll have to try and get there when I go up to see my Parents.
….and maybe Legoland will open too <3

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
That's the same video that was posted back at December's announcement, isn't it?