What's new

CWOA | Mandrill Mayhem (World of Jumanji) | B&M Wing Coaster | 2023

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
btw, about the Hulk thing. i'm a little confused how b&m could be able to not be involved in the launch systems at all. I mean, the coaster is designed to launch out of the lift hill- could it even clear the barrel roll without a boost? surely they had to be at least somewhat involved in the launch system planning and then after, the various testing phases once the launch has been in place. I understand that they didn't manufacture the tire drives or whatever, but don't a huge amount of companies not manufacture everything in-house anyway? i know we're doing simplified analogies here but I just can't really believe that b&m would be like 'yo here's that peculariarly shaped giant chunk of metal you asked for, go nuts! (hey fred, how are they even planning to get this going? beats me aye)"
I mean, yes, this is a where these sort of things get increasingly more complex.

I suspect it was more a case of B&M saying to Universal "here's the weight of the train (plus probably a load of other technical data for chassis dimensions, materials, etc, etc), and it needs to be going 40mph by the end of this bit of track". Universal will have then taken that information to some supplier who designed/provided the hardware. There would have then probably been interfaces back to B&M regarding sensors, integration of the hardware (where do the bolts go, exactly), etc.

On something like Thunderbird, B&M handled that relationship directly with the launch manufacturer - Holiday World had nothing to do with it.

For the car analogy again (people seemed to like that) - if you're buying your own tires, Ford would tell you things like rim size, available wheel space, car weight, torque at the wheels, etc - you would then have to liaise with your supplier to get a tire to fit and work. Normally, Ford would just handle all of that themselves.

spicy

Giga Poster
I mean, yes, this is a where these sort of things get increasingly more complex.

I suspect it was more a case of B&M saying to Universal "here's the weight of the train (plus probably a load of other technical data for chassis dimensions, materials, etc, etc), and it needs to be going 40mph by the end of this bit of track". Universal will have then taken that information to some supplier who designed/provided the hardware. There would have then probably been interfaces back to B&M regarding sensors, integration of the hardware (where do the bolts go, exactly), etc.

On something like Thunderbird, B&M handled that relationship directly with the launch manufacturer - Holiday World had nothing to do with it.

For the car analogy again (people seemed to like that) - if you're buying your own tires, Ford would tell you things like rim size, available wheel space, car weight, torque at the wheels, etc - you would then have to liaise with your supplier to get a tire to fit and work. Normally, Ford would just handle all of that themselves.

I wonder when creating the Decepticoaster launch B&M were a little more involved and accepting after having the Thunderbird experience and now in the knowledge that the Hulk launch actually worked out pretty well with no issues.

Or literally just let Universal take full control still and stayed clear of it.
As there would have been a few variables from Hulk to take into account that B&M would have had to communicated to the launch manufacturer.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
btw, about the Hulk thing. i'm a little confused how b&m could be able to not be involved in the launch systems at all. I mean, the coaster is designed to launch out of the lift hill- could it even clear the barrel roll without a boost? surely they had to be at least somewhat involved in the launch system planning and then after, the various testing phases once the launch has been in place. I understand that they didn't manufacture the tire drives or whatever, but don't a huge amount of companies not manufacture everything in-house anyway? i know we're doing simplified analogies here but I just can't really believe that b&m would be like 'yo here's that peculariarly shaped giant chunk of metal you asked for, go nuts! (hey fred, how are they even planning to get this going? beats me aye)"

<waves hand in the air like excited schoolkid>
Ooh ooh, I know the answer to this one! 😁

B&M provided the track design as is, with the proviso being that if Universal couldn't manage to achieve the required launch speed, then the launch and barrel roll could simply be replaced with a conventional lift-hill and drop.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
just here once again to remind y'all that those renders were made by a tiny architectural firm in Stoke and are almost definitely (im 99.99999% sure) mass renders for the consultations and briefing documents.

Chances are the track is a box spine because that's easier to manipulate in low polys in models, whilst expressing things like inversions. May I remind you all that these were the Wickermans renders at the same stage of project planning we are seeing here for Chessington.

50022690533_9a00d5fb72_z.jpg

50023232031_2d26f778c5_z.jpg

Imagine if Big Bob ended up like that last image just because it's what you see in an early 3D render.
Imagine if Wickerman had that (lack of ) banking. Or dived into the ground like that. lol.

These renders (aside from the station which looks surprisingly complete) are just so they can have proper chats with the local government and neighbours before they go onto the final design. A lot will change between now and when they submit planning permissions, and probably again before they open the gates to this new attraction/area. No point getting too invested in one idea quite yet.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
If Merlin are able to look past the Smiler incident, then I’d say Gerstlauer could be in with a fair chance of winning this project, personally.
Don't forget to look at this from the other angle as well. Are Gerstlauer able to look past the incident? Having to go through the process of being absolved from blame and prove that 'you didn't train your staff properly' wouldn't have been a fun one.

cocoa

Mega Poster
<waves hand in the air like excited schoolkid>
Ooh ooh, I know the answer to this one! 😁

B&M provided the track design as is, with the proviso being that if Universal couldn't manage to achieve the required launch speed, then the launch and barrel roll could simply be replaced with a conventional lift-hill and drop.
ah thats really interesting actually. I imagine its a rather more boring ride with just a lift and drop!

Matt N

CF Legend
Interestingly, the ride will apparently have 24 rider trains, leading to a ride time of 1 minute and a load time of 1 minute. This means that the theoretical capacity will be 720pph, unless a sliding station or turntable is employed.

Also, it looks as though a B&M wing coaster is now almost certain, so I might change the topic title.

Last edited:

toofpikk

Mega Poster
View all the docs here:

now THIS is more like it.

EDIT: Dug through the planning docs, and here's the juice, bebeh

34IDmi7.png

QyVrRnt.png

k8kVIrO.png

So what's all this? Clearly a new area is coming to Chessington. I hold my hands up and say I was wrong - this coaster is almost definitely going to be a B&M, much to my surprise.

ZWhggA2.png

Fun entrance portal with Zero-G interaction.

eKeOsRT.png

hdwkugI.png

More filler ride interaction goodness (I'm a huge fan of this drawing wow).

IFxTV7d.png

Station diagram suggests its going to be 27m long which is huge, but also that there will be 7 air gates on each side rather than the aformentioned 6.

disi1fr.png

Overall area.

Main themed structure will be something pretty massive.

Personally not a huge fan of the layout and honestly feel its utterly wasted on B&M. But what a fun cool project for chessington to get! Exciting stuff.

EDIT EDIT:
4EzHbXu.png

ITS SO WEIRD

Last edited:

Rupert

Mega Poster
Personally not a huge fan of the layout and honestly feel its utterly wasted on B&M. But what a fun cool project for chessington to get! Exciting stuff.
Well summed up I think! Good for Chessington to get such a headline ride even if it is short and will probably struggle for capacity. Interesting what this means long-term for B&M - will they start offering a lot more small-scale coasters at a reduced price to parks?

Also great spot by @JoshC. on the Jumanji link, strong IP to get given the reboot I think? I’m very far away from the target market so not sure how relevant the film still is but had heard there might be a sequel?

Well summed up I think! Good for Chessington to get such a headline ride even if it is short and will probably struggle for capacity. Interesting what this means long-term for B&M - will they start offering a lot more small-scale coasters at a reduced price to parks?

Also great spot by @JoshC. on the Jumanji link, strong IP to get given the reboot I think? I’m very far away from the target market so not sure how relevant the film still is but had heard there might be a sequel?

They have two sequels recently starring The Rock, Kevin Hart, Jack Black and Karen Gillan (2017 $972m and 2019 $800m) so it's pretty relevant if they've stumped up for it!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Absolutely cursed as **** and I hate it. And the fact it's a B&M makes it cursed all the more.

But, the fact it is so weird and cursed will definitely make it stand out, especially for enthusiasts. But it still really makes no sense to me, especially with Swarm not far away. It also feels like it has an identity crisis due to the fact it has an inversion, but the layout itself is so **** and small? Not only that, but I thought Merlin was done with B&M wings? Perhaps Towers getting one in the future isn't totally out of the question now?

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Absolutely cursed as **** and I hate it. And the fact it's a B&M makes it cursed all the more.

But, the fact it is so weird and cursed will definitely make it stand out, especially for enthusiasts. But it still really makes no sense to me, especially with the Swarm not far away. Not only that, but I thought Merlin was done with B&M wings? Perhaps Towers getting one isn't totally out of the question now?
Out of interest, what do you mean by it being “cursed”?

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Well, this is happening then. I didn't quite believe it when we saw the concepts earlier this year but here it is, a B&M Wing Shuttle at a Family oriented park.

I actually love it.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
I think this is exactly what Chessie needs, a good solid family thrill coaster, with an inversion and launch, which will make this a good stepping stone for parents who might want to see if their child is ready for the bigger rides at Thorpe Park.

I am still surprised that this is going to be the first B&M coaster in the UK since Swarm, and never would have anticipated it going to Chessie.

Dar

Hyper Poster
I'm really struggling to wrap my head around why Merlin are spaffing millions away on a B&M shuttle, when other companies can do the same, or very similar, for much less outlay.

What are B&M bringing to the table that Mack, Intamin, or Vekoma can't? Capacity is the only thing I can think of, but, as Matt has shown, that's kinda moot with this. Why a shuttle and not a full circuit, or even one of those half-shuttle/half-circuit things?

Don't get me wrong, I'm intrigued, just also very confused!

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
This coaster shows us that B&M are really starting to experiment with their coaster's. For example, the 95 degree drop on Dr. D's Cliffhanger, the shuttle launch wing coaster at Chessington, the possible Surf coaster at Seaworld Orlando and other future projects, surely.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Now this is confirmed, my post from a while back still feels suitable:
I think it's kinda fab in a stupid sort of way.

What are B&M bringing to the table that Mack, Intamin, or Vekoma can't? Capacity is the only thing I can think of, but, as Matt has shown, that's kinda moot with this. Why a shuttle and not a full circuit, or even one of those half-shuttle/half-circuit things?

Don't get me wrong, I'm intrigued, just also very confused!
Although yes, completely agree with this.

Reactions: Dar