Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Cream

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Salmon

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

mouse

Giga Poster
I got the idea for this from my 'How do you pronounce scone' topic.

Here we are, a typical, devon (WOOO!) cream tea:
Devon-Cream-Tea.jpg

So what goes on the scone first, jam or cream?
I prefer cream first, I love it when the jam and cream mix together. Mmmmmm...

EDIT: Why aren't any of the images working?

I never understood why people would want to ruin a scone with whipped cream.

I put the jam on first, and **** the cream.

Jam (because it's a spread) and then the cream.

You should always use a different (or cleaned) knife to spread each topping as the cream can "infect" the jam. Or so my Dad tells me.

[Picture fixed, you've got to use the actual location of the image, not the Google preview location. Basically just click through to the image on it's own. Hope that makes sense.]

As for my thoughts on this, seeing as I just wrote it out in the other topic, I'll quote my reply:
Oh, and as for which goes first? I don't really know or care! I probably put the jam on first, it's a little firmer so allows the (softer) cream to be spread more easily.

Ben said:
I never understood why people would want to ruin a scone with whipped cream.

I put the jam on first, and **** the cream.
Try clotted cream. (from Devon!)

I'd rather never have anything to do with the in-bred, backwater place that is Devon again, thanks!

mouse said:
Ben said:
My just jealous, what?
Give me a chance, I'm from Devon. (Home of the cream tea. And Tony Beard. :p )

High six at that bad joke.

Clotted Cream then jam.

Wasn't there a news article this week that said Devon Clotted Cream is now a protected produce?

Cream, and then jam.
Saying you put the jam on first is like saying you put the marmite on first when having toast, and then the butter... It's just weird! :p

Jam first. Makes it easier when piling half the pot of cream on. Easier to do it that way round than trying to balance the jam on top.

Nic is right, Mike is having completely spacial awareness failure.

When building anything, the flattest objects go on first. So when building a cream scone, it's scone foundation, first floor of butter, second floor of of jam and then a stupidly high as you like pile of cream roof.

Trying to get sticky jam onto the top of cream is a fool's errand.

I used to think cream tea was just a different type of tea; like a cup of tea with cream instead of milk. To my surprise when I ordered one once that it was just tea and a scone with jam and cream I was pleasantly surprised. I do love scones, and tea, which is ideal when considering a cream tea.

You must always put the jam on prior to applying the cream, and yes the use of clotted cream (be it from Devon, Cornwall, Dorest or Tesco) is a preferred choice. For a quick cream tea a can of squirty cream will suffice but the quality is reduced somewhat.