What's new

Corporate influence in the future of UK parks

bdrizzyb

Roller Poster
Hey new member here. Six flags and cedar fair seems too be expanding! does anyone believe that either six flags, cedar fair, parque reunidos, the Mack family or any other large amusement park operator will have any influence on the UK amusement/theme park industry in the future? Personally I do believe Pleasure beach Blackpool, Drayton manor and flamingo land and even possibly Thorpe park are all possibilities in this sort of takeover in the future. What do you think?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Cedar Fair, Six Flags and Mack? No, not a chance.

Six Flags may technically be expanding out of the US, but in reality, they're just licensing the name and will have little to do with the parks (or financing).

Cedar Fair haven't shown any sign (unless I've missed something) of expanding outside the US.

Mack? Just no.

The one with any likelihood whatsoever would be Reunidos since they at least have history of buying smaller parks (without doing any rebranding at the surface level) and operate across a number of countries. I still don't see it though.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Isn't LEGO (or their parent company?) buying Merlin? If that counts, well, that's most of the active theme park scene already being taken over already. Doubt much will happens on an operations level, though.

I don't see BPB selling themselves out to anybody, isn't that park a family-owned business? I mean, with new generations, things could change, but I don't think anything is likely in the foreseeable future.

Maybe Drayton Manor or Flamingo Land could be bought in theory, but as far as I know they're doing okay as it is, and I don't think they are particularly attractive to the big chains anyway. Drayton Manor faces competition from Alton Towers, and Flamingo Land is too far away from the major population centers.

And as for the rest of the UK parks, they would all need significant investment to become worthy competitors in the national market. That makes them pretty unattractive for the major chains. Parques Reunidos in particular tends only to buy parks that are "readily developed" and already have a large share of the regional market. I bet the other chains have a similar philosophy. If the park doesn't have that market position, there wouldn't be much of a point in buying it. Maybe chains would be interested in BPB, but again, I don't think they're selling.