What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Testing is so important so that infection chains can be caught amidst their tracks and stopped before they spiral out of control. This is what we "claimed" to be doing back in February whereas in reality we couldn't trace back to patient zero because we couldn't perform any tests, whereas in Germany thousands and thousands of tests a day were being conducted, so they could trace back to those infected individuals and stop infection chains growing at an even faster rate.

The issue is in the UK now, maybe we are doing 80k tests a day, so 500k tests a week. Great. We need to test test test. But what we don't know is if the government are actually using that data in a proactive way. At this point, with a reproductive rate less than one, for one infected individual, everyone else in their household should be taking a test to see if they are also infected, symptomatic or asymptomatic. Then we can start to gather more data about how quickly the virus really spreads and what the real proportion of asymptomatic people is.

Testing is going to become a key part of the exit strategy to the current lockdown, but only if we use the data it provides right. Unfortunately, in my personal opinion, every decision the government has made so far has been incredibly wrong, so I'm not sure I particularly trust them to be able to use this data in the right way. If, along with a well planned exit strategy, we can test 700,000 people a week, catch those infections chains and reduce the curve of the second wave, then we have finally done something right.

I think the government needs to also turn attention to stepping up production of cloth face masks within the UK. As we have seen, it looks like Boris is going to thankfully U-turn on the advice given by SAGE that masks aren't of use and is hopefully going to tell us to wear them next week. I'm hoping he calls out for local manufacturing chains to start producing as many cloth facemasks as they can and distribute them throughout the local area. Similarly schools with design and technology departments could be called upon to start producing cloth masks for their local community. That way, we aren't taking away from PPE from frontline healthcare staff.

It's so important that moving forward over the next few weeks the reproductive rate is kept less than one. High volume testing and the right use of the data it provides is a key to this. PPE such as face masks and continued social distancing measures are also a key to this. Hopefully the government can get it right and we can flatten the curve of the second wave.

Of course, we don't already know how many people have antibodies and we don't know the level of immunity the antibodies provide to this virus. This is where antibody testing could have come in useful, so we know what the true scale of the outbreak has been in the UK. In Germany, 15% of the population seemingly have antibodies, so it will be a way higher amount here. If antibodies provide a high level immunity against re-contracting the virus, then the infection rate will dramatically drop in the UK naturally as so many people will have that immunity already.
Great post ? Somebody is doing their homework beyond MSM!!!

On Test, Track and Trace... The testing data is being fed into a new app being released this coming week (hopefully) which, along with thousands of tracing staff being recruited as we speak, will play a critical roll in how we manage the pandemic. It will work in a similar way to how these apps work in other places like China.

My only negative remark on this is that they seem unwilling to go as far as China in making the app mandatory to participate in certain activities. For example if we had the colour coded system used in other countries, many more businesses could unlock, admitting only those with a green pass status on their app. That way if you don’t want to participate in the app, you don’t get to visit the pub, game store or gym... Simple.

China’s health code app for those interested... https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....china-coronavirus-qr-code-intl-hnk/index.html

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
A look at modifications being carried out in Efteling.
020520sink3.jpg
020520sink4.jpg
020520sink5.jpg

Iconic Efteling attractions are forced to be adapted so that visitors and employees can keep enough distance. Droomvlucht and Villa Volta are currently undergoing major work. This is evident from behind-the-scenes photos that Looopings has got its hands on.

In the queue of Droomvlucht and the pre-shows of Villa Volta, boxes were made on the floor with tape, about a meter and a half apart. This makes it clear to visitors where they can and cannot be. The covered outdoor queue of Villa Volta is being redesigned. The boarding station of Droomvlucht also works hard. A large scaffold with wooden beams and plexiglass prevents employees from having direct contact with guests. The series of adjustments should reduce the risk of corona infections.

Efteling does not want to say much about changes at the two attractions yet. "We are currently testing everything," a spokesperson told Looopings. No opening date has yet been announced for the amusement park. The green light from the cabinet or the Brabant security regions is awaited.

The Club van Elf trade association, to which Efteling is also affiliated, already drew up four rules last month for days out in times of Corona. These are as follows: book a visit online in advance, stay at home with health complaints, come alone or with people from the same household and use your own transport.

It is still unclear how long the measures will be needed.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Just had a scroll through a few websites of european theme parks to see when they were taking bookings from.

-Portaventura is taking bookings from 10th May.
-Tivoli gardens optimistically states they will reopen 11th May
-Europa park is taking bookings from 15th may
-Phantasialand is taking bookings from 25th may
-Walibi Belgium states an opening date of 13th june
-Energylandia states an opening of 1st june
-Walibi holland states opening of 1st june.

Looks to me like parks will realistically open in June at the earliest.

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
Hope they reopen that soon
Trying to get a flight out there from the UK is going to be a nightmare tho.
Unless you have deep pockets of cash.
Or can find an airline that hasn’t gone belly up :rolleyes:

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Hope they reopen that soon
Trying to get a flight out there from the UK is going to be a nightmare tho.
Unless you have deep pockets of cash.
Or can find an airline that hasn’t gone belly up :rolleyes:

Even more of an issue is the other european countries view the UK as a massive coronavirus hotspot. If you are entering any of those countries you must enter an enforced 2 week quarantine before you can go anywhere or do anything.

This restriction could still be in place for months to come so there’s no point booking a holiday abroad anywhere at this point.

I was simply giving a timescale of when parks are hoping to reopen for at this current moment in time.

Matt N

CF Legend
On a regional level, I'd say that June/July potentially sounds realistic, but I don't see international travel resuming again to a similar extent as before until a bit later. By the end of the year (I'd say Q4 of 2020), I'd suggest that we should be back to a reasonable level of normal in that department.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Recent industry reports have suggested at least half of all air related businesses will go bust.
Including many airlines.
Many small airports will close for good.
A reasonable level of normal, compared to 2019 travel, may take a number of years to happen.
Time to rethink our personal travel habits hard.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Didn't the government just announce huge plans to help the airline sector, though?
Did they? I’ve missed that then, all articles I’ve read up to a few hours ago were about the sector pleading for help and the government refusing... And the unavoidable redundancies this is already causing... Including here in Derby at Rolls Royce.

I think the problem is that to help the sector they’d have to help people the public wrongly perceive as able to help themselves. Helping people like Branson would potentially cause public outrage, rightly or wrongly, and I think that’s what they’re scared of.

Hopefully attitudes change when the public realise the industry as a whole is in dire need of help, and it will affect everyday working people right down to manufacturing and supply level.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Some hints on Six Flags' new protocols upon reopening: https://www.ocregister.com/2020/04/30/six-flags-rolls-out-plan-for-post-covid-19-new-normal/

Protective face masks and temperature checks will be part of the “new normal” at Six Flags parks.

“That’s going to be the reality,” Spanos said. “It’s going to be the new normal.”

The top priority for visitors: Sanitization. Six Flags had already stepped up sanitizing its parks before the coronavirus closures. Once the parks reopen, rides will be wiped down throughout the day and hand-washing and hand-sanitizing stations will be installed throughout the parks.

Social distancing will be continually enforced — from the parking lots and queues to the rides and dining areas. Employees will be assigned to coach and direct visitors to maintain 6 feet of separation at all times.

Six Flags will limit the number of riders waiting in queues and boarding coasters and rides. Markers painted on the ground will indicate the spots in line where riders should stand to encourage social distancing.

Six Flags is already testing virtual queueing, mobile ordering, cashless transactions and other technology to help move toward a contactless environment, Spanos said. Virtual queueing and mobile ordering will be available in the “next few months,” he said.

Matt N

CF Legend
Did they? I’ve missed that then, all articles I’ve read up to a few hours ago were about the sector pleading for help and the government refusing... And the unavoidable redundancies this is already causing... Including here in Derby at Rolls Royce.

I think the problem is that to help the sector they’d have to help people the public wrongly perceive as able to help themselves. Helping people like Branson would potentially cause public outrage, rightly or wrongly, and I think that’s what they’re scared of.

Hopefully attitudes change when the public realise the industry as a whole is in dire need of help, and it will affect everyday working people right down to manufacturing and supply level.
The government have announced that an investment bank has been lined up to help UK airlines survive: https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/arti...-to-advise-on-keeping-uk-airlines-in-business

And they've also said that they "will help the aviation sector in any way they can":https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-h...ctor-in-any-way-it-can-minister-idUKKBN22E0MI

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
Even more of an issue is the other european countries view the UK as a massive coronavirus hotspot. If you are entering any of those countries you must enter an enforced 2 week quarantine before you can go anywhere or do anything.

This restriction could still be in place for months to come so there’s no point booking a holiday abroad anywhere at this point.

I was simply giving a timescale of when parks are hoping to reopen for at this current moment in time.
RIP the Live Finland trip then :eek:

if airlines have to start social distance too so leave half the seats empty, that'll be a massive jump in airfares.

I guess hope local parks open and spend your money and time at home

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The government have announced that an investment bank has been lined up to help UK airlines survive: https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/arti...-to-advise-on-keeping-uk-airlines-in-business

And they've also said that they "will help the aviation sector in any way they can":https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-h...ctor-in-any-way-it-can-minister-idUKKBN22E0MI

So there is no support package then... Just an advisory group brought in to look for ways that they could help... And a promise to help in any way they can, the last two words being a get out clause if they cannot find a way.

I’m sure they will do something, they have to or it will cause mayhem, but they have to carefully balance it with public opinion and the help they’re giving other sectors.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
While talk and planning continues on re-opening of parks, Funtown Splashtown USA in Maine announced they will not open this season due to the pandemic and all 2020 season passes will be honored in 2021. Although this is a rather small park, I would not be surprised to see this decision made by not only similar parks, but also by larger ones. Still much better than a permanent closure.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
While talk and planning continues on re-opening of parks, Funtown Splashtown USA in Maine announced they will not open this season due to the pandemic and all 2020 season passes will be honored in 2021. Although this is a rather small park, I would not be surprised to see this decision made by not only similar parks, but also by larger ones. Still much better than a permanent closure.

I imagine we will see a lot more parks choose to make the decision to close for the whole of the 2020 season as well. When it's a decision between opening with 1/4 capacity and potentially not even making a profit and not opening at all, I'm sure lots of parks will choose the latter option. At the moment, we are very much in the optimistic stages of hoping parks across the globe will be able to reopen within the next few months with strict social distancing measures, however I'm sure lots of parks will deem it more economically viable to shut their gates altogether and not reopen until 2021, rather than having to invest a lot of money in additional sanitisation equipment, PPE and only taking 1/4 of the daily gate figure.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
RIP the Live Finland trip then :eek:

if airlines have to start social distance too so leave half the seats empty, that'll be a massive jump in airfares.

I guess hope local parks open and spend your money and time at home
That's what I was thinking about the Finland Live.
The parks will probably be open by then in Finland but we possibly wouldn't be able to get there as the decision on the trip is due middle of the month.
At the moment international travel is discouraged:

"As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel"

No one would probably be insured if we travelled abroad for a roller coaster trip with this knowledge.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I imagine we will see a lot more parks choose to make the decision to close for the whole of the 2020 season as well. When it's a decision between opening with 1/4 capacity and potentially not even making a profit and not opening at all, I'm sure lots of parks will choose the latter option. At the moment, we are very much in the optimistic stages of hoping parks across the globe will be able to reopen within the next few months with strict social distancing measures, however I'm sure lots of parks will deem it more economically viable to shut their gates altogether and not reopen until 2021, rather than having to invest a lot of money in additional sanitisation equipment, PPE and only taking 1/4 of the daily gate figure.
I can see more parks ‘choosing’ to stay closed too.

It will depend what fixed costs they have to try to recoup, some will stay closed others will decide to recoup some of those costs for this year.

In the UK, a lot will also depend on how soon they’re allowed to reopen, at the moment we’ve only missed a part of the season that is incredibly quiet at UK parks for the most part... We have the half term holidays coming up, which is when I think parks will really start losing money. I think every week that passes from the beginning of June makes opening less and less of an attractive prospect.

We will see I guess... I still think they’ll be allowed to open June / July... I’m less sure that they’ll want to.

Also, earlier in this thread somebody said that visiting a park after lockdown wouldn’t be an enjoyable activity for them, due to SD measures. Whilst not true for me, I can see that being the case for a lot of people at least in the short term. I just hope that if any parks do open, with whatever reduced capacity, there is enough demand to fill that capacity each day... Because parks will have done their calculations and be banking on that.

Matt N

CF Legend
It might be worth remembering, though; if UK parks are allowed to open in June/July, they have the entirety of the summer holidays to make money, and the summer is a huge period for theme parks. Surely they wouldn't want to miss out on summer income?

Heth

Mega Poster
True, but of course if parks have a reduced capacity (e.g. half) then the summer wouldn't be as lucrative as it otherwise would have been.