What's new

Construction starting for 2019 attraction at SFGAdv?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Sorry if there's already a thread for this, but according to Thursday's Screamscape news update, construction walls have gone up around an old "waterworks" (?) attraction in the Golden Kingdom area of Six Flags Great Adventure. Lance seems to think that this could potentially be early preparation for a 2019 attraction. Here's what he said:
Screamscape said:
Park News - (6/21/18) A reader tells us some new construction walls have appeared inside The Golden Kingdom area of Six Flags Great Adventure, walling off an old "waterworks attraction". Could this be prep work for a new 2019 attraction, or for something else? Anyone know more? There is a good bit of open land behind this old attraction that something of a decent size could fit in nicely tucked away behind here, next to El Diablo and the nearby section of El Toro. Big enough say... for perhaps a new RMC Raptor coaster... or maybe even the first T-Rex.
I can see an RMC single rail coaster of some form coming to Great Adventure next year. As for which track... I'd personally go T-Rex as it seems like a better fit for SFGAdv for two reasons:
A: The capacity is better on the T-Rex than on the Raptor models, and Great Adventure has pretty high annual attendance.
B: Great Adventure seems like a park that likes to go big when they build coasters, so a custom T-Rex could potentially be pretty big.

What do you guys think? Do you see an RMC single rail coaster coming, or do you think this is for something much more minor? Or is it not for next year at all?
P.S. Here's the Screamscape link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_great_adventure.htm

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
B: Great Adventure seems like a park that likes to go big when they build coasters, so a custom T-Rex could potentially be pretty big.

This may have been true back when the Six Flags chain actually had money to throw around (or at least, acted like they did), but their three latest acquisitions have been an off-the-shelf S&S Free Spin (capacity 720 pph), an off-the-shelf Wild Mouse, and a secondhand stand-up coaster. There's isn't money for big and spectacular additions any more. I guess it will be a pretty much exact clone of Wonder Woman at Fiesta Texas, and that other parks in the chain will receive one too, like Joker and Dark Knight before it.

Matt N

CF Legend
This may have been true back when the Six Flags chain actually had money to throw around (or at least, acted like they did), but their three latest acquisitions have been an off-the-shelf S&S Free Spin (capacity 720 pph), an off-the-shelf Wild Mouse, and a secondhand stand-up coaster. There's isn't money for big and spectacular additions any more. I guess it will be a pretty much exact clone of Wonder Woman at Fiesta Texas, and that other parks in the chain will receive one too, like Joker and Dark Knight before it.
I suppose so. I'm still leaning towards the T-Rex, personally, as I reckon Six Flags eventually wants to build one, and SFGAdv would be a good park to build it in.

Matt N

CF Legend
So are the WWGLC clones like the new trendy ride in Six Flags, like the S&S Free Spins were between about 2015 and 2017? Guess we'll have to wait and see what SFGAdv gets. We could be in for something different, though, as SFMM is rumoured to be receiving a Mack according to Screamscape.

Matt N

CF Legend
Could be that it gets its very on Dark Knight, which is a Mack Wild Mouse.
Maybe. It's rumoured to be on the old Deja Vu site and they're apparently eyeballing Time Traveler, though. Anyway, I should probably start a separate topic for SFMM 2019.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
So are the WWGLC clones like the new trendy ride in Six Flags, like the S&S Free Spins were between about 2015 and 2017? Guess we'll have to wait and see what SFGAdv gets. We could be in for something different, though, as SFMM is rumoured to be receiving a Mack according to Screamscape.
They are just barely bigger footprint wise than a boomerang. Between an SLC and boomerang. Easy install and small footprint.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I can honestly see SFNE getting a Raptor before GADV.
tenor.gif

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump the thread, but today's Screamscape news update seems to imply that this won't be a coaster, but will be some sort of "large attraction" going in the Metropolis area of the park. Here's what Lance had to say:
Screamscape said:
2019 - New Attraction - Rumor - (7/27/18) No one knows exactly what is going on yet, but the early rumor from the Six Flags Great Adventure rumor mill is that the park will not add a coaster for 2019, but is working on some kind of large new attraction expected to go into the Metropolis area of the park. Anyone know more?
If you've ever visited SFGAdv, is Metropolis anywhere near where this clearance was originally said to be taking place, out of interest? If it's not, then could the original clearance be early preparation for something huge in 2020?
P.S. Here's the Screamscape link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_great_adventure.htm

NAPayne31

Mega Poster
I believe it’s going to be a Zamperla Giant Discovery for next year similar to Crazanity. That old waterworks building looks like the perfect plot of land for one of those. Then in 2020 they go for a Raptor or T-Rex that sprawls over the entrance of the park in some manner.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Metropolis and Golden Kingdom are on opposite ends of the park from each other. Very odd...

I guess the park could possibly install more than one ride. Six Flags has installed suites of flat rides in one off season at a few of their parks in the past.