Votes: 4 25.0%
  • They're both rubbish

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • They're both awesome

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Simple poll - Which version of comfortably numb do you prefer?

The Pink Floyd original:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7EpSirtf_E[/youtube]

or the Scissor Sisters version:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRk5Gjl_cAg[/youtube]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I suspect that this will be a landslide, but I will defend the Scissor Sister's version. I believe that if you're trying to do a cover of a song, you should make it as much your own as you can. Unless you think you can do a better job than the original artist, then do it so differently that it's "yours".

Nobody could ever do the song better than The Floyd, so Scissor Sisters did the best thing.

Obviously the original is the best version though :)

nealbie

CF Legend
For starters Jake Shears can actually sing, plus the original has the worst guitar solo of all time (which mercifully disappears in the Scissor Sisters version).

Good covers are about making it your own and bettering the original (Take That, How Deep is Your Love and Stereophonics, Handbags and Gladrags), so Scissor Sisters by a country mile.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
The original by far. I honestly prefer it in every way possible. Brilliant song.

I find the Scissor Sisters very meh, although I agree with what Furie said about covers. Crappy rip offs are even worse.

nealbie said:
plus the original has the worst guitar solo of all time.

Are you kidding? :shock:

jayjay

Giga Poster
I'm with Furie on this one. I love Pink Floyd (the live version on The Pulse is insanely good), but props to Scissor Sisters for doing something different with it. I like how changing the mood puts a different spin on the meaning of the song without changing any lyrics too.

nealbie

CF Legend
furie said:
ThomVD said:
nealbie said:
plus the original has the worst guitar solo of all time.

Are you kidding? :shock:

No, just tone deaf/insane :p

Guitar solos are terrible and overindulgent at the best of times. The one in Comfortably Numb is of a poor standard to start with.

Actually, I think the only solo I like is the one in November Rain!

marc

CF Legend
Yep November rain full length version :)

I also prefer the ss version of this song, it's just more to my tastes really.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nealbie said:
Guitar solos are terrible and overindulgent at the best of times. The one in Comfortably Numb is of a poor standard to start with.

Actually, I think the only solo I like is the one in November Rain!

I just think they're part of the music, but then, I don't rate Brian May as a musician which proves I have taste :p

Guitar World rate Gilmour's solo as number four in their top 100. They know their axes :p
http://www.guitarworld.com/100-greatest ... id-gilmour

I'm going with them and their views as more valid, particularly as they support me ;)

November Rain is a bloody awful song, but I hate cock rock so wouldn't argue if it was considered by the majority as great...

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Guitar solos are actually among my favourite things in music. They're one of the many reasons why I love rock/metal so much. But to each their own :wink:

Oh, and November Rain <3

My favourite guitar solo is probably Fade to Black's from Metallica. Honourable mentions to Sultans of Swing and Free Bird, though Comfortably Numb's is also amazing.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Meh, not a fan of either of them to be honest. I love my guitar solo's but this one does nothing for me at all.
I agree with Thom regarding the other solos though, especially Free Bird.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I know that this isn't going to go over well here, but that is one of the worst covers I've ever heard. And I generally enjoy covers, especially when they are given a different treatment than the original, but this one does absolutely nothing.

BBH

Giga Poster
Why does this topic even exist.

On the topic of solos, Time and the lap steel solo in High Hopes are really good displays of Gilmour's guitar work.

EDIT: And Dogs. Such a good song.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
BBH said:
Why does this topic even exist. .

Because:
a - I made it!
b - The cover is so totally different to the original (It almost seems like you could play the original at double speed and ithat would be pretty close to the cover!)
and
c - this is the polls section!

FWIW - I voted scissors - although maybe if I listened to the floyd version more it would grow on me

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
The Pink Floyd version is my favourite song and guitar solo of all time!

I normally like covers. But, the Scissor Sisters' version, makes me want to insert sharp objects into my ears.