What's new

Coasters that deserve a full re-track/makeover...

Sandman

Giga Poster
With the recent news of proposed plans to re-track good old Nemesis, I've been wondering to myself whether we'll see this with any more iconic coasters in the near future.

As eagle eyed enthusiasts, we are used to seeing fairly decent, respectable coasters fade into old age and inevitably close down or get replaced by a newer, sometimes more ambitious attraction with the hope it can bring in a new lease of life.

There are however, those other coasters that parks deem star attractions; industry icons that are worthy of preservation.

In the last several years we've seen the likes of Incredible Hulk and Python avoid the chopping block in favour of something bigger, newer and shinier. Nemesis could soon be the next in line for such treatment.

But in your opinion, which coasters out there are iconic/entertaining enough to keep their place in an ever growing park with a full re-track/makeover?

Perhaps there are some coasters that deserve that treatment right now. Others may deserve it further down the line when that time eventually comes.

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
Gotta go with Firebird at SF America. I think if this wasn't rough, this coaster wouldn't be terrible anymore.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Black Mamba. You have heard me rant about that ride so much but it really was SLC level of painful when I rode it. Don't know what's wrong with it? The wheels, the trains or the track? But something needs to be done.

Indy

Hyper Poster
Ever since Python got retracked, I’ve been campaigning for SFMM Viper to receive the same CSM treatment. It is such an iconic ride for me and that first drop is fantastic. I’d love to see a similar retracking and centerline adjustment along with some vest trains. I am by no means an Arrow fanboy, but I’ll be distraught when Viper bites the dust.

Candidate number two is Kumba. The coaster is still one of the best in Florida and I hope it stays at the park for years to come.

Candidate number three is Cedar Point’s Corkscrew. The ride isn’t remarkable, but that’s why it needs to stay. There is a big gap in intensity level of CP’s Looping coasters. Corkscrew serves as a proper intro looping coaster.

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
Ever since Python got retracked, I’ve been campaigning for SFMM Viper to receive the same CSM treatment. It is such an iconic ride for me and that first drop is fantastic. I’d love to see a similar retracking and centerline adjustment along with some vest trains. I am by no means an Arrow fanboy, but I’ll be distraught when Viper bites the dust.
I don't think Six Flags would go through the trouble of retracking it, they've already removed Shockwave and G.A.S.M. from their parks, I would be shocked if they retracked it instead of scrapping it

Indy

Hyper Poster
I don't think Six Flags would go through the trouble of retracking it, they've already removed Shockwave and G.A.S.M. from their parks, I would be shocked if they retracked it instead of scrapping it
I somewhat disagree. You are not wrong, but they’ve spent a ton of money retracking and overhauling Mindbender in the past few years. They also spent a decent chunk overhauling Revolution and partially retracking SFOT Shockwave. Obviously, those are all Schwarzkopf rides and the retracking effort is quite a bit easier, but their willingness to invest in those, especially the level of investment that has gone into Mindbender, gives me some hope.

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
I somewhat disagree. You are not wrong, but they’ve spent a ton of money retracking and overhauling Mindbender in the past few years. They also spent a decent chunk overhauling Revolution and partially retracking SFOT Shockwave. Obviously, those are all Schwarzkopf rides and the retracking effort is quite a bit easier, but their willingness to invest in those, especially the level of investment that has gone into Mindbender, gives me some hope.
The problem is that Viper is one of the least popular rides at SFMM. Mindbender and SFOT shockwave or both classic signature rides at their parks, but Viper kind of is just "there" in terms of the gp.

God have mercy

Roller Poster
Euro Mir and Posiden at Europa park

Infusion at pleasure beach - yes I believe if it got retracked with new cars it work wonders and tbh SLCs do have a decent layout it's just ruined by there roughness but the modern SLCs like the one at Morey's pier had a retrack and apparently it's really good and glass smooth now.

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Euro Mir and Posiden at Europa park

Infusion at pleasure beach - yes I believe if it got retracked with new cars it work wonders and tbh SLCs do have a decent layout it's just ruined by there roughness but the modern SLCs like the one at Morey's pier had a retrack and apparently it's really good and glass smooth now.
DW that'll soon be remedied

Indy

Hyper Poster
I know this has been more steel-centric, but I'm going to go ahead and say it... the Beast.

I'm super happy to see Gravity Group doing such extensive work to it, but I want more. I want a full Ghostrider-style retrack and reprofile. The ride was neutered long ago. If it's not going to be operated like it should, then there is no point in keeping it the way that it is. Reprofile every single turn and section of straight track. Eliminate every trim, get new modern trains and let it rip.

Stevie

Roller Poster
I know this has been more steel-centric, but I'm going to go ahead and say it... the Beast.

I'm super happy to see Gravity Group doing such extensive work to it, but I want more. I want a full Ghostrider-style retrack and reprofile. The ride was neutered long ago. If it's not going to be operated like it should, then there is no point in keeping it the way that it is. Reprofile every single turn and section of straight track. Eliminate every trim, get new modern trains and let it rip.
I've been saying this for a decade. I know it will probably never happen, but imagining how amazing it *could* be... I still love the thing, I just want to love it more. lol

Imagine that 400 foot long trim shed thing being transformed into airtime hills (in better trains, of course). Throw some extra hills on at the end too. Anyway, I'll stop daydreaming now.

Skyye

Mega Poster
I'm gonna go ahead and say boss. I thought it was bad when I rode it and could benefit from a gci retrack or rmc makeover. they already removed the helix that I didn't know it had so it kinda only makes sense

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Eh... Goudurix?

It's got similar "iconic" status to Dragon Khan relative to the French amusement park scene - being a photogenic multi-looper that used to be the main draw of the park at its opening.

I'd be curious to see if a retracking, reprofiling and update with new Vekoma trains can make Goudurix much, much more enjoyable.

Last edited:

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
I think Poseidon and Schweizer Bobbahn could do with retracks for Europa, both aren't too bad, but are a little rattly at points, and Europa seem keen on making over old rides and making them amazing, look at Cancan coaster! Both are really well themed so i hope they don't touch the theming they like did on Eurosat.

Dragon's Khan is one i totally agree with- an iconic and intense coaster, sadly laced with roughness and headaches. It is a ride that is great, but sadly is totally not rerideable due to its roughness.

I do believe Stampida in the same park needs a full GCI retrack tbf, that thing has seemingly had bits and bobs retracked, but for it to be truly good its gonna need a GCI makeover.

Controversially, i believe Valravn needs a retrack, it was rattly as hell when i rode it in 2019. Blue Streak next door in comparison was smooth as hell.

Expedition GeForce. Don't get me wrong it's still an incredible ride, but it is a little rough in the back. Just imagine it with new intamin trains, a bit of reprofiling and maybe some two tube track 😍