What's new

Coasters due for the wrecking ball

Darren B

Giga Poster
In the UK alone;

The Smiler - It's been plagued by problems and has already past it's best. Merlin would be wise to cut their losses, bring it down and sue Gerstlauer.

Grand National - The most brutal woodie on the planet. Time to say goodbye.

Colossus - A mass of rusted steel. It's dull, painful and past it's sell by date.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I wouldn't mind seeing El Condor and Robin Hood in Walibi Holland go and be replaced by a B&M invert and a GCI woodie (or maybe a GG woodie would be nicer considering there are already 2 great GCIs in the Netherlands).

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Darren B said:
In the UK alone;

The Smiler - It's been plagued by problems and has already past it's best. Merlin would be wise to cut their losses, bring it down and sue Gerstlauer.

Its good fun when its working IMO but it will likely become a huge burden in a few years. With all the effects working, it must cost a lot of money and energy to run?

Grand National - The most brutal woodie on the planet. Time to say goodbye.

I used to think it was vile but its grown on me and I would miss it unless it was replaced by something really fab like an RMC.

Colossus - A mass of rusted steel. It's dull, painful and past it's sell by date.

If it was the newer version of the layout like Altair it would be amazing. I'm good at defensive riding so I'm OK on it but when I didn't brace myself, it was worse than Infusion. I bet its **** awful if you're really tall!

The coaster I think needs to go is the back bruising Pinfari at Wicksteed, which is my home park. I reckon they could afford a PAX coaster which would be a cool and compact replacement.

Another one which is past its time is the Buffalo coaster at Drayton. Needs replacing with a Vekoma mine train or something.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Cut their losses on Smiler Darren? Afaik it still pulls in massive queues, and will probably continue to do so for at least the next 12 months.

Grand National could come down and I wouldn't miss it, open up a big amount of space too.

Gladly see the back of Stampida.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Removing The Smiler would be embarrassing for Merlin and Gerstlauer as it would be admitting that its too burdenous and unreliable.

A little off topic but who else thinks that Oblivion is still the best coaster in X sector? It doesn't seem to be plagued with problems and I reckon it has plenty more years left because if it got too unpopular, they could revitalize it by theming it to an IP or spending £ to turn it floorless.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Blue Streak and Conneaut.

It's the park that just. won't. fu(king. die.

Been on the verge of bankruptcy and shutting forever about 20 years now.

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
ATTACKHAMMER said:
Gwazi should definitely go.
I think this will happen sooner than later. One side already has had the station boarded up and not used for a couple years too.

Some others I think should go:
Mean Streak, Cedar Point
Shockwave, Kings Dominion (Maybe some of their rough as **** woodies too.)
X, Thorpe Park
Excalibur, Valleyfair

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
^I agree about KD. Some others I have been sharing my hate for years now.

Thunderhawk - Dorney Park
Wildcat - Lake Compounce
Mind Eraser- SFNE
Any Vekoma boomerang I have ridden
And even though I have sentimental value since it was my first coaster to go upside down, Canobie Corkscrew. I have been saying for years Canobie needs to get ride of it.

TilenB

Strata Poster
cjbrandy said:
The coaster I think needs to go is the back bruising Pinfari at Wicksteed, which is my home park. I reckon they could afford a PAX coaster which would be a cool and compact replacement.

Pax doesn't make coasters anymore...

-I agree with all of you on Grand National. That thing is just vile and should be demolished (but it won't of course...)
-Gwazi isn't anything special (also quite rough for a GCI) and since they have only been running one side for 2 seasons now, I don't really see in the park for much longer...
-Condor in WH is also really, really vile. Tormenting machine, if you ask me.
-The coaster I would like to see go the most is Superman: Escape from Krypton. Not only it offers a really mediocre ride experience, but it's really, really loud. Going past it when it is launcing could quite well damage your hearing. Plus it being an Intamin, it is also frequently breaking down.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Smithy said:
Cut their losses on Smiler Darren? Afaik it still pulls in massive queues, and will probably continue to do so for at least the next 12 months.

I'm talking **** of course. It's just a chain of events with this coaster that really grind my badger. First off I was really disappointed when they announced it (I has hoping for something good, not a Gerst). Secondly it rides like crap, and thirdly it's massively unreliable, and to top it all off it gives Oblivion a queue do it's location. Of course it shouldn't be knocked down, but I'm really not a fan of it.

mcgoughchris

Mega Poster
Darren B said:
Smithy said:

I'm talking **** of course. It's just a chain of events with this coaster that really grind my badger. First off I was really disappointed when they announced it (I has hoping for something good, not a Gerst). Secondly it rides like crap, and thirdly it's massively unreliable, and to top it all off it gives Oblivion a queue do it's location. Of course it shouldn't be knocked down, but I'm really not a fan of it.

The queue for this is just horrendous to. I can put up with endless maze of cage around you but the music on constant replay, the room with the stupid projections on the walls and the fact that it's guaranteed to break down at least twice if you're in an hour queue just give me a massive headache

Then you get on the ride which had been rough since day one. Jolts your head about, as an inversion every 3 seconds, complete overkill

Intricks

Strata Poster
rollermonkey said:
Blue Streak and Conneaut.

It's the park that just. won't. fu(king. die.

Been on the verge of bankruptcy and shutting forever about 20 years now.

Actually, they just filed for bankruptcy to knock out the 1mil they owed originally. They got 4 or 5 years to pay back the extra 2.5 mil they owe in penalties or something along those lines. Just look up Classic Park Coinneursers on Facebook and read the hilarious 'arguments' people have said as to why the park needs to stay open (them still pulling in an amazingly large "crowd" being one of them).

Mean Streak at Cedar Point. Useless and does nothing other than attempt to reconfigure your spine.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Intricks said:
Mean Streak at Cedar Point. Useless and does nothing other than attempt to reconfigure your spine.

It would make a fabulous RMC conversion that would make their line up even stronger than it already is. No offence to fans of the ride but it looks quite boring and appears to lack airtime.