What's new

Cliff Hanger + Kumali Q's....

Martyn B

CF Legend
cliffhanger-drop-shoot.jpg

No doubt this question has been asked lots of times before, but why is Cliffhanger at Flamingo Land stablised with 4 cables holding it down?

From the info I've seen, Cliffhanger is 175ft - which means its smaller than the two 200ft models at Blackpool and Fantasy Island, both of which are reknowned for being very windy resorts, yet the towers there dont have any cables stablising them? So surely it cant be due to wind?

Also, where is Kumali's second train?

Cheers :D

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Martyn B said:
why is Cliffhanger at Flamingo Land stablised with 4 cables holding it down?
Pass. No idea. Wind would be my guess. Better to be safe than sorry?

Martyn B also said:
Also, where is Kumali's second train?

The wheels are here:
8935_281150290178_520050178_8924493_5929858_n.jpg

And other bits are here.
8935_281150305178_520050178_8924494_6363972_n.jpg

(Photos taken by Marc.)

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Cliffhanger used to have the red and white panels going all the way up the tower. With the panels in place, I suspect the tower would be more susceptible to high winds, as the wind would hit the panels, rather than just passing through the structure.

They had to take the panels off the top half of the tower due to complaints from the locals. After that I suppose there was no reason to remove the support cables, even if they were no longer needed.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Cliff Hanger is taller than the others. The one at Blackpool goes off sea hight, no idea about the other one.

The panels will have had something to do with it.

When I was there the second train was on the spare track, all in one piece.

Ben

CF Legend
Blaze said:
Cliff Hanger is taller than the others. The one at Blackpool goes off sea hight, no idea about the other one.

Wait, what? That's just a retarded statement, dear.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Blackpool's and Fantasy Island's is 200ft, and FL's is 175ft (and I got that from a fanboy site!)

Cliffhanger used to have the red and white panels going all the way up the tower. With the panels in place, I suspect the tower would be more susceptible to high winds, as the wind would hit the panels, rather than just passing through the structure.

Yeah I'd guess thats the reason, that makes sense. Though I did notive that FL are very strict on their H&S, I wouldn't put it past them adding them to 'be extra safe'.

There was no 'wheels' of Kumali's second train in sight, the only thing there were the wheel covers on the floor. Mystery....

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
Blaze said:

Wait, what? That's just a retarded statement, dear.

Isn't it how Blackpool manage to get the Big One tallest in Europe though? ;)

Ben

CF Legend
^That's not why it's retarded ;)

"Cliff Hanger IS taller than the others. Though I have no idea how tall the other one is"

Blaze

Hyper Poster
NO, what I said was, Cliff Hanger is the tallest of the three; Blackpool go off sea hight, which is why until very recently they had PMBO as Europe's biggest (now to stop saying it is the fastest and steepest), while I don't know how the other one is measured. Cliff Hanger is listed as the Uks tallest tower ride in many places.

Emmett

Giga Poster
^They still are advertising it as Europes tallest. And even using the sea level height is shorter than Silver Star.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Everything at Alton is taller off sea hight.

They don't sell PMBO as tallest anymore. The website says "one of Europe's tallest". It is only out of date stuff that says tallest.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Cliff Hanger is also advertised on buses in the area as being 300ft tall....

Cliff Hanger is listed as the Uks tallest tower ride in many places.

I've seen a few times that it is 175ft. It makes sense in a way as from a distance it is taller than Kumali which is 120ft, but not buy 80ft.

And going by that, Ice Blast, Volcano, Apocalypse & Absolutely Insane are all taller.

Personally I think its the same model/height as Ice Blast and Volcano.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Everyone knows Blackpool add lots to their rides hight (Infusion is claimed to be the tallest SLC), but no idea about the others. It's not the same model, Cliff Hanger is a combo tower and has a different seat arrangement. I expect they are all within about 20 foot of each other, though.

Martyn B

CF Legend
The seating arrangement is just to do with the car, not the tower, so the towers can still be the same, I know CH has the drop mechanism, but that cant be too hard to add to a standard tower.

marc

CF Legend
Its been spoken about before. Flamingo land count the distance that you travel, so they count up and then down.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
But that would be alot more than 180 foot. The tower is a fair bit taller than Kumali, which is about 120, so to count up and down would be well over 200 foot. Maybe it's just on some technicality.

I think the towers are different. Cliff Hanger seems a lot thicker than Tango Ice Blast.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Could be, but they are not all the way up, and when viewed from a point where they can not be seen, it still looks wider.