What's new

Cheese

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm fully aware that the forum has a lot of food based topics but I'm super passionate about Cheese.
I love a good cheese with a glass or red or some port, a few crackers and a accompanying chutney, so I'm wondering what your favourite cheeses are, inspiration I guess for my next bucket of cheese I consume.

My personal faves are;
Cambozola - A mixture of Blue Veined cheese and Camembert, very creamy with a blue cheese bite.

Cheddar - Had some Davidstow recently and that was tasty, the more obscure the better though, finding a good Cheddar at country fairs generally gives a good experience.

Blue - Castello is nice due to the creamyness but a crumbly Stilton can be magnificent

Mexicana/Chilli - A nice spicy cheese usually rounds out a selection nicely, to balance out the creamyness or sharpness from the others. I generally don't go for the super hot ones though, and go down the middle ground.

Smoked Cheddar - Love it, but too many crap ones out there, yet to find one that I'll buy regularly.

What cheese do you prefer and any suggestions?

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I love cheese! I like any that doesn't have fruit in it or that isn't feta.

My personal favourites are:

Stilton - Can't beat it on top of a nice cracker, with some IPA chutney.

Brie - Nice and soft, also great on crackers.

Cheddar - Simply amazing.

Red Leicester - see above.

Edam - also very nice!

peep

CF Legend
I don't like blue and I can be a bit fussy but Joey occasionally teaches me the way of cheese.
I quite like smoked applewood and cheddar. I also quite like Wensleydale with cranberries.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Ahh cheese. It is a beautiful thing, I can't think of a cheese I don't like.

blue-this has to be top of the list, it is such a strong, beautiful cheese, I love it on crackers or just as a snack. I also love to pour stilton sauce over a steak, my favourite of the blue cheeses has to be Roquefort, it's just amazing.

Cheddar-the most common cheese, it has to be super mature but it is just beautiful, on crackers, in sandwiches, on beans on toast, on toast, add it to cheese sauce, it's just delicious.

Gorgonzola-almost as good as stilton but I often find not as strong, but it is creamier, I've only had it a few times, I have it in a baguette with coronation chicken in a sandwich bar in Portsmouth. It makes me happy IN MY FACE.

Brie-lovely on crackers.

Soft cheese-be it with garlic and herbs or not it's beautiful...especially with a little salmon on top.

Babybel-yes, it's cheddar but omg it's gawwwjusssss.

I love cheese. Love it.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
ATTACKHAMMER said:

Edam - also very nice!
I agree on the first three, there are so many variations though. Leicester I'll generally avoid as It's like a poor mans cheddar imo, and Edam tastes like feet :?
peep said:
I quite like smoked applewood and cheddar. I also quite like Wensleydale with cranberries.
Smoked Applewood is the kind of smoked cheese I like, preety sure there are better ones out there though, recently had Wensleydale again and enjoyed it.
Jordanovichy said:
blue-this has to be top of the list, it is such a strong, beautiful cheese, I love it on crackers or just as a snack. I also love to pour stilton sauce over a steak, my favourite of the blue cheeses has to be Roquefort, it's just amazing.

Soft cheese-be it with garlic and herbs or not it's beautiful...especially with a little salmon on top.
Sorry for dissecting but I'll give Roquefort a go, surprisingly not tried that yet. Soft cheese - Roule - Fab soft cheese, but doesn't tend to go well with crackers and chutney, more with salmon like you say, but it's fab.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Brie as long as its so ripe it looks like its escaping

A really nice mature cheddar

St agur. Blue cheese similar to Roquefort

Stilton even though it can be inconsistent

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
DelPiero said:
ATTACKHAMMER said:

Edam - also very nice!
I agree on the first three, there are so many variations though. Leicester I'll generally avoid as It's like a poor mans cheddar imo, and Edam tastes like feet

I agree, Red Leicester is just merg, it is tasteless, why would you get that when you can have strong mature cheddar

DelPiero

Strata Poster
mouse said:
Baked camembert with crusty bread for dipping.
Good shout, not a huge fan of Camembert as a standalone cheese but when like the above or with some breadsticks it's super nom.
caffeine_demon said:
Brie as long as its so ripe it looks like its escaping

A really nice mature cheddar

St agur. Blue cheese similar to Roquefort

Stilton even though it can be inconsistent
I nearly bought some St Agur the other day but went with a hand crafted Stilton instead. I love a good Brie but it's hard to find one I like enough to buy again.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Cheese <3 I could probably live without chocolate, but not cheese. I don't mind the smelly varieties but I'm mainly a fan of the herby/garlic varieties. Got to love a bit of baked Camenbert or gooey Raclette too. On crackers or just on its own. With a good beer (preferably Meantime's Yakima Red) or a glass of Port. Ummmm

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I don't have too many favorites. Mainly because I wasn't exposed to as many cheeses.

Cheddar: It's just good. Not for any particular reason, but it is.

Cream Cheese: It's good on crackers.

Mozzarella: It's great with Pizza Bread. <3

Parmesan: I just love to drench a piece of bread with oil and dump this all over it. <3

That's it. Told you it would be short.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Jordanovichy said:
DelPiero said:
ATTACKHAMMER said:

Edam - also very nice!
I agree on the first three, there are so many variations though. Leicester I'll generally avoid as It's like a poor mans cheddar imo, and Edam tastes like feet

I agree, Red Leicester is just merg, it is tasteless, why would you get that when you can have strong mature cheddar

Red Leicester isn't tastless. It's very nice!

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
I love cheese. Boursin is my fave - especially the Garlic and Herb variety. There's nothing better than a slice of soft, fresh, tiger loaf bread smothered in Boursin. Mmmm!

Continuing with the soft, garlicy theme; I also love Le Roule.

Grilled Haloumi is a close second fave. Love it in a wrap with falafel and tahini, so salty!

Any kind of blue cheese can get in my face too, and blue cheese sauce on burgers is heaven in a bap.

Having a bit of super creamy Wensleydale on a really salty cracker (those Carrs ones that come in the blue box) is also amazing.

I see Cheddar and Red Leicester as merely functional toppings - chuck em on top of a pasta dish etc, but I don't get excited about them as stand alone cheeses.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I'm a cheapskate when it comes to shopping, so normally buy the cheap supermarket own brand cheese..

But on the occasions when I splash out, a bit of Mexicana or Wensleydale with cranberries is always my cheese of choice; both are beautiful. I avoid blue cheese at all costs though; that stuff is disgusting...

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Dubliner - Strong but great aftertaste
Cheddar - Tasty and smooth
Del Pais - A saltier swiss cheese if you may call it that although its not exactly Swiss cheese.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Recently tried a couple of new varieties, standard Gorgonzola, which was poor, expecting more of a blue taste but was lacking in flavour, was creamy though.
Also tried the St Agur on Dan's recommendation, good call, nice and flavourful but it's a bit too spreadable for me, prefer something a bit sturdier, but I would buy again.
Glennderp said:
Dubliner - Strong but great aftertaste
Cheddar - Tasty and smooth
Del Pais - A saltier swiss cheese if you may call it that although its not exactly Swiss cheese.
Unfortunately Dubliner isn't currently available in the UK, and I'm not sure what Del Pais is, but will keep an eye out for them.
Radaxian said:
I love cheese. Boursin is my fave - especially the Garlic and Herb variety. There's nothing better than a slice of soft, fresh, tiger loaf bread smothered in Boursin. Mmmm!
I've never tried Boursin, will be interesting to see how it stands up against Le Roule.
Mysterious Sue said:
Got to love a bit of baked Camenbert or gooey Raclette too. On crackers or just on its own. With a good beer (preferably Meantime's Yakima Red) or a glass of Port. Ummmm
Camembert + Breadsticks + Red Onion Chutney + Port = Heaven.