Colours!!!

• blue for salt and green for cheese

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • green for salt and blue for cheese

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

kimahri

CF Legend
So this is an argument of being Correct.

what colour do you associate Salt and Vinegar and Cheese and Onion Chrisps to.

Blue for salt and vinegar and green for cheese and onion or the other wrong way round?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Today, blue for C&O and green for S&V.

I grew up with an uncle who worked for Golden Wonder though, and GW were THE crisp producer of the 70's and 80's. They had it the other way around.

It still feels dirty and wrong though the Walkers way around. Mmmmmmm.... Free crisps and Pot Noodles - those were the days! :)

Robbie

Hyper Poster
I always consider Walkers to be WRONG, but I think historically they're correct in that the packaging was originally blue for cheese & onion and green for salt & vinegar but competitors did it differently, and it's the rival colours that stuck.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I feel like salt and vinegar should be blue, because it's a seaside flavour and the sea is blue, hence blue packaging.

Technically I think cheese and onion should be yellow, like the pack I'm currently eating are. Cheese=yellow, onions=yellowish, makes sense for them to be yellow.

So I'm going to be annoying and say blue for salt&vinegar, yellow for cheese&onion.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Robbie said:
I always consider Walkers to be WRONG, but I think historically they're correct in that the packaging was originally blue for cheese & onion and green for salt & vinegar but competitors did it differently, and it's the rival colours that stuck.

You're wrong! :p [/indignant nephew of a Golden Wonder employee]

Golden Wonder were the first UK company to produce and sell flavoured crisps
The Truth said:
Golden Wonder was the first company to produce ready-salted crisps and dispense with the need for the little blue bag. They were also the first crisp company to introduce 'proper' flavour to crisps, with cheese and onion in 1962.

GW always had S&V in blue and C&O in green. Walkers UK are the only people who do Salt and Vinegar in green - even their foreign Lays brand use blue for S&V.

So they did it differently compared to their more popular competitors (GW were easily the most popular crisp manufacturer for many decades, with Smiths Crisps close behind. Walkers on made the big time late in the 80's and were propelled by being owned by Pepsi Co. ).

So ner! :lol:

http://www.aba-design.co.uk/colour-bran ... isps-blue/

http://www.h2g2.com/approved_entry/A16455053

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: Cheese & Onion and Salt & Vinegar

nadroJ said:
I feel like salt and vinegar should be blue, because it's a seaside flavour and the sea is blue, hence blue packaging.

Technically I think cheese and onion should be yellow, like the pack I'm currently eating are. Cheese=yellow, onions=yellowish, makes sense for them to be yellow.

So I'm going to be annoying and say blue for salt&vinegar, yellow for cheese&onion.
This.

Green should be something to do with chives.
Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I agree with the above.

Although I wonder how much of that is purely because I've only ever been used to those colour combinations. If salt and vinegar had only ever been red, maybe I'd think that was normal too?

nadroJ

CF Legend
^No no no, because the traditional flavour of red crisps is Ready Salted, red is IN the name. If they were in a blue packet they would be called Bluey Salted, obviously.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
nadroJ said:
^No no no, because the traditional flavour of red crisps is Ready Salted, red is IN the name. If they were in a blue packet they would be called Bluey Salted, obviously.
Touche. ;)

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Though my brother has wrote in and they've denied it, I'm pretty sure Walkers used to have blue for Salt and Vinegar and green for Cheese and onion.

I do think it should be Blue for Salt and Vinegar and green for Cheese and onion. Something about is is just correct.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
furie said:
Robbie said:

You're wrong! :p [/indignant nephew of a Golden Wonder employee]

Golden Wonder were the first UK company to produce and sell flavoured crisps
The Truth said:
Golden Wonder was the first company to produce ready-salted crisps and dispense with the need for the little blue bag. They were also the first crisp company to introduce 'proper' flavour to crisps, with cheese and onion in 1962.

GW always had S&V in blue and C&O in green. Walkers UK are the only people who do Salt and Vinegar in green - even their foreign Lays brand use blue for S&V.

So they did it differently compared to their more popular competitors (GW were easily the most popular crisp manufacturer for many decades, with Smiths Crisps close behind. Walkers on made the big time late in the 80's and were propelled by being owned by Pepsi Co. ).

So ner! :lol:

http://www.aba-design.co.uk/colour-bran ... isps-blue/

http://www.h2g2.com/approved_entry/A16455053
Yeah, yeah, alright! The wikipedia article has been completely rewritten since I read it (although they claim Irish company Tayto came up with Cheese & Onion flavour - in yellow/orange bags)

Gazza

Giga Poster
Oooh, I get to be a proper foreigner and wierd everyone out.

Salt and Vinegar I associate with purple/pink packaging:

Chips_Smiths_Salt_and_Vinegar_9310015112263.jpg

357452.jpg

319951.jpg

6989529.jpg

Even S&V rice crackers are purple:
248362.jpg

Cheese and onion should be yellow:
CB689189.jpg

samboy_cheese_and_onion.jpg

For the purposes of this topic, green belongs to Chicken flavour.
725820.jpg

319675.jpg

299480.jpg

329304.jpg

And blue belongs to plain salted:

329429.jpg

322231.jpg

6989493.jpg

Colouring across different brands is virtually consistent, except for Pringles, so none of these arguments :lol:

Smithy

Strata Poster
Jesus Christ this is an absolute mind ****.

I've never actually thought about it.

And when I did, it just **** with my head some more.

I mean, I thought blue, well that's easily. Wait. Walkers is cheese and onion, that's fine. But we've got Hula Hoops downstairs and I always pick out the blue ones for salt and vinegar.

So now I'm sitting going through the different crisps I eat and what the different colours are. DAMNYOU

Mike

Giga Poster
Australian crisp-packet-colours don't count, as their crisps taste rank (well, Thins and Smith's are anyway)... But, then again, at least they're better than the stupid and disgusting American love of "Limón" and other Mexican-sounding flavours. :x

A few years ago, I would definitely have said green for S&V and blue for C&O, although now I'm not sure. Even Walkers sometimes does the colours the other round around...
walkers-squares-cheese-and-onion.jpg

Either way, I've messed up enough times to make sure I check the labels every time. :p

madhjsp

Giga Poster
In America, salt & vinegar chips almost invariably come in blue or blue-green packaging.

13327282.jpg

miss-vickies-sea-salt-vinegar.gif

pringles%20salt%20&%20vinegar.jpg

I don't know that I've ever seen cheese & onion as a flavor combination, though it sounds tasty. Cheddar & sour cream is much more common & typically has packaging featuring lots of orange or orange-yellow...

ruffelscheddarsourcream1.jpg

lays-cheddar-sour-cream.gif

wise-foods-cheddar-sour-48263.jpg

...while sour cream & onion (in a dead heat with barbecue for best potato chip flavor, IMO) almost always comes in a green bag.

lays-sour-cream-onion.gif

Pringles%20Sour%20Cream%20&%20Onion%20Potato%20Chips%206.38%20oz.jpg

13202945.jpg

I've never thought about this before.. interesting how even across brands, the color schemes are fairly consistent. You'd think competitors would choose their own color schemes in order to differentiate their brand & lend a certain uniqueness to their product lineup, wouldn't they?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: Cheese & Onion and Salt & Vinegar

Don't Aussies have chicken flavour as like, a thing? Not roast chicken, just chicken. And they get chicken "salt" for fries, gazza?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Gazza

Giga Poster
I think when you get chicken flavoured stuff it emulates the herbs and seasonings of a roast chicken....Not just the meat plain.

And yep at a fish n chip shop and supermarkets you can get "chicken salt"....This yellow powder of salt and presumably msg n stuff.... It's the best.