What's new

Change of name for Oakwood's Hydro

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The water ride at Oakwood formally known as Hydro is now called Drenched.

A photo of a bearded man tipping a bucket of water into the ride's slashpool appeared in The Tenby Observer today.

Oakwood%20Theme%20Park%20ride%20operator%20Peter%20Hughes-Jones%20helping%20to%20fill%20the%20Drenched%20ride.jpg

According to Andy Hygate, manager of the Pembrookshire park, it would require "close to half-a-million bucketfuls of water to finish the job!"

The park estimates that it will take a month to fill Drenched's splashpool. New spectator-controlled water cannons are also being installed.

http://www.tenby-today.co.uk/news.cfm?id=8430

The reason for the name change is not explained.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Apparently -ed names are in. Dorney Park has Possessed, and now Drenched.

Dave

CF Legend
How strange. Guess they might be trying to stave off this 'accident' image Hydro is surrounded by.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think it's going to take that man longer than a month to fill the pool.

I'm quite concerned that he's walking to the middle of the pool to empty the bucket and then back again to refil it. Wouldn't it save time and effort if he tipped it in near the edge?

I just paced it through and it would take 4 minutes between each refill. 500,000 buckets would take 2,000,000 minutes, which is 360 buckets per day. It would take 1,389 days without rest to fill, which is a lot longer than a month.

45 other people will have to assist him to complete it on tine.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
That doesn't leave much time for Ben to give that guy the time of his life. :p

Lofty

CF Legend
Oh what a silly PR stunt. It's funny, but silly, I bet some people are actually believing that the man is actually filling this up with buckets.

I wonder why they've had a name change? I've never rode it but heard that the Loading/Off-Loading is TERRIBLE on his ride. Hopefully now, they may have sorted it out?

Casio

Mega Poster
Hyde244 said:
Apparently -ed names are in. Dorney Park has Possessed, and now Drenched.

It's the age of past participles :D

The name's not bad, but I think the old one was better. Dave makes a good point though, people will associatiate Hydro with the death of a girl. Also it's nice to see Oakwood trying to get some recognition.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Oakwood need new attractions, not just renamed old ones. I really liked Oakwood, and I'd love to go back, but it's not really changed since I last went in 2007.

Please Oakwood, new attractions, not old ones with some new re-branding bollocks. It doesn't have to be a Mega-lite or a Plug 'n Play (hint hint ;) ), but just something... please...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ian said:
I think it's going to take that man longer than a month to fill the pool.

I'm quite concerned that he's walking to the middle of the pool to empty the bucket and then back again to refil it. Wouldn't it save time and effort if he tipped it in near the edge?

I just paced it through and it would take 4 minutes between each refill. 500,000 buckets would take 2,000,000 minutes, which is 360 buckets per day. It would take 1,389 days without rest to fill, which is a lot longer than a month.

45 other people will have to assist him to complete it on tine.

Don't be stupid Ian!

he simply dips his bucket down to the pool below him and fills it from there! He doesn't have to move at all; will be filled in no time! ;)

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Snoo said:
And it's still not a damn credit.
Bugger, I was going to claim Hydro's Law and lock the topic, but I was too slow :p.

(Damned if I'm calling it Drenched, sounds like a vitamin drink).

"New spectator-controlled water cannons are also being installed" - well that's *something* I suppose...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Ian said:

He's probably worried that if he did that, the sides would be much deeper than the middle, and the desired splash effect would be unachievable.

yinyang

Mega Poster
It actually sounds good if they do it right. Who knows, it may be sponsored by the soft drink called Drench.
I wonder what they'd call Speed if they had to change the name to a "ed" name. Answers on a postcard please.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Source goes where?

EDIT - Blergh... I literally thought it was just Yinyang's post on this... Stupid phone...

Erm... Yeah... This is a bit random tbh...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Well like was said earlier, it's probably partly an attempt to shed off the 'ride-that-girl-died-on' image. Also, rebranding, but to me that doesn't seem that good a change to be honest.