What's new

CF EU Referendum

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jake

Strata Poster
I can see there's another topic but couldn't find a poll.

Now it's getting very close what does everyone think?

Snoo

The Legend
From a non UK perspective and from what I've read and seen, I think you should stay. BUT! take that with a grain of salt as you know, I don't live there. :)

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Remain for me. There are a lot of problems that if we voted out will occur. I know I slightly slanted due to working for an Irish airline in the UK, and taking people to and from Europe. Remain is the best way. What poor British sod would want to pick carrots for min wage. None, but some people looking for a job, that come from the likes of Poland etc. Will happy to do it just to get their foot in the door. The pay in some of the countries is not that great anyway

TilenB

Strata Poster
^ Agreed, also importing/exporting products from EU countries will become more expensive for UK based businesses, which is probably never ideal for a smaller business. But it's yours for choosing, I don't believe it will affect the other EU members too greatly, so I can't really be bothered about the whole thing...

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I really really hope we vote to leave. I am worried that people who are unsure will probably just vote remain though because it is what we are used to. There may be some disadvantages to leaving but I strongly believe that overall it would be a step in the right direction towards a better future.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah we need to stay.

I mean, it's only every economist, business or person with a brain that's saying stay in.

And then, Boris Johnson saying leave.

With my job, I would be **** if we leave, the economy would be ****. But at least we would be GREAT again right. Who cares about your economy when you've got sovereignty?

mouse

Giga Poster
I also hope we remain. Our economy seems to be somewhat reliant on it, and personally the economy is more important to me than the massively blown out of proportion immigration issue. I feel like leaving would be a step backwards, political union seems like a much more stable and promising way forward than political isolation.

I rather liked what Johnny Vegas said on an episode of The Last Leg:
"Leaving the EU is like telling your parents you want independence and then moving into the garage"

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
^Love that quote!

Yeah, I still haven't heard a valid reason to leave. I think the fact that the more educated you are, the more likely you are to vote to remain speaks volumes in the debate. Yes the EU is far from perfect, but it's important to differentiate between 'the EU is bad and 'OUT OUT OUT'. Yes, we send £9 billion to Brussels a year, but considering the NHS costs over £120 billion per year, it really is trivial - and well worth it. It's an iceberg we really don't understand.

Ultimately it comes down to who you believe. Both campaigns have been a bit **** to be honest - and I feel disappointed about remain's efforts, but look who's on either side. Boris, Gove, Farage and Trump (the only major politician apart from Putin who thinks we should leave) are all racists who have been spreading lies throughout their campaign. Essentially, by voting to leave, your voting for an extreme right-wing government who couldn't care less about your social rights, the environment and the NHS, which they all openly advocate privatising. Hell, look at what Gove did to our education system - but we all trust him now? Really? Osborne and Cameron aren't the greatest politicians - but they certainly know a thing or two about the EU.

The thing is, the leave campaign aren't much better than our dearest Vicky-loving Daily Fail. In the real world, immigrants are better skilled than the average Briton, take fewer benefits and make invaluable contributions to our social services and society (fact). Plus, there is no guarantee Brexit would substantially reduce numbers. Keep students and high skilled labourers coming in and you could still only cut immigration by about 40,000 per year. Plus remember open borders are two-way, enabling us easy access to the rest of the EU, the right to study and retire to a nice little villa in the south of France.

At the end of the day, it's the government and the recession, not the EU, which is responsible for most of our problems. For example it's monopolisation of fishing grounds, not the common fisheries policy, which had caused harm. As for the NHS...ask a junior doctor. It's also important to remember the conservatives got just 6% more votes than labour did last year and the entirety of the house of Lord's is unelected.

As for the theme park industry...if the economy is f***ed, how will it survive?

Please please can we not jump off the cliff? Our ancestors died for a United Europe free from the capitalism that caused both horrific wars. I'm not saying there'll be a ww3 if we leave, but leaving is a giant leap backwards for international relationships.

I Should be revising...but the referendum matters to us so much that rant was totally worth it.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I think that whilst the EU is obviously not perfect, it's pretty good for a lot of things - and the overall hassle leaving would cause businesses (and the economy) for god knows how many years, ending up in a situation which really isn't that much different to what we have at the moment just isn't worth it!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I know jack about UK Politics, but after looking through the interwebs, I think it'd be best if you guys stay. You're already quite distant from the EU politically, economically, and socially, but you still keep their benefits like no passport travel, no import/export taxes/tariffs, etc.