What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

i305_zack

Mega Poster
Has to be. Per that crane company's website, this model maxes out at 384ft:
View attachment 24849

My guess is the bottom half of the tophat's track will get replaced, as it was beat with nearly 5g's of force for 20 years. The top half has experienced significantly less forces, so that might be fine for another 20 years.
That actually makes a lot of sense. I haven’t kept up much with this discussion but I do believe zamperla and intamin will probably partner up with this project!

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Hyper-analysis time!

A friend of mine did some measurements of the footer locations using Blender, and calculated that the triangle footer arrangement is around 25.6m wide and 11m deep.
1684099993078.png

Using that info, I did a few mockups of potential spike heights of 300ft 400ft, and 500ft:
c4no21684103435.png

Based on the spacing of the footers & looking at these side by side, I personally feel that the 500ft spike structure seems to make the most sense with how wide the rearmost footers are spaced. (I also did the same double-angle rear column design that the tophat structure does, I personally think it looks the best haha.)

And lastly, to get an idea of the overall operations & everything of the ride running, I made a recreation using the 400ft spike:
TTDops.png
In this version, the stats are:
-3, 20-passenger trains
-55 trains/hour = 1100 theoretical riders/hour (realistically 800-1000, factoring operational hiccups)
Launch 1: 0 to 78mph - 13 seconds from launch to forward stall (Point #1)
Launch 2: 71 to 106mph - 16 seconds from Point #1 to Point #2
Launch 3: 99 to 115mph - 20 seconds from Point #2 to Point #3, where the track switch can reset for the loaded train coming from the station.

Mainly wanted to type this last section to prove that the capacity has the potential to NOT be sacrificed for the spike & swing launch.

TLDR: Spike potentially BIG, operations potentially not ass. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Peet

Giga Poster
Well Cedar Point had the World's First 200ft +, 300ft + and 400ft + coasters so they couldn't let SF Saudia Arabia build the first 500 footer could they!? 😅

smiffy9373

Roller Poster
CP would go with World's tallest coaster. Once SF Saudi opens they'll change it to World's tallest freestanding coaster.

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

JackFish

Mega Poster
Has to be. Per that crane company's website, this model maxes out at 384ft:
View attachment 24849

My guess is the bottom half of the tophat's track will get replaced, as it was beat with nearly 5g's of force for 20 years. The top half has experienced significantly less forces, so that might be fine for another 20 years.
If they are replacing the track up to 380 ish feet, it would make sense to just do the rest and save downtime and money. So what if they need this crane to build a taller one? That is usually what happens when you need a really tall crane, and it would make sense to replace it all instead of just most of it.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I’m guessing that all of the replaced track has already been removed. It wouldn’t make sense to remove a bunch of track, stop, then remove a bunch more much later on.

JackFish

Mega Poster
I’m guessing that all of the replaced track has already been removed. It wouldn’t make sense to remove a bunch of track, stop, then remove a bunch more much later on.
If they needed the crane to do that, then it would. It could take a while for them to get the resources to take the top of the track down. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Indy

Hyper Poster
In the meantime a friend compared the footers to an aerial pic of Velocicoaster under control. All I can really say is that if you had high hopes for a Zamperla structure then prepare to be disappointed.
I really don't believe much can be inferred by those footers. Round footers with shear key pockets are incredibly common. The only thing that can really be determined by that design is that it's not Gerstlauer (they don't use anchor rods) and it's not Mack (wrong style of anchor rod). Note the round footers with the similar style of anchor rod and nuts on Eat My Dust:
1684413592361.jpeg
Soure

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Yeah, that's not entirely conclusive evidence for Intamin. Eat My Dust has the same shear key holes:
1684415764649.png
Using a kiddie coaster probably isn't the best comparison, but it's what we got.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Keep in mind there is no physical evidence in either direction. It's all speculation.

Don't put it past Cedar Point to intentionally plant the "Zamperla's doing the project" rumor purely to cloud the discussion, either. That's entirely on the table too.

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
I don't say much anymore but I feel I must put some input on this topic. Those who believe that this is a Zamperla project are going to be proven really wrong.

For starters, ALL new Zamperla rides at Cedar Fair parks for this year have continuously been down for different reasons, whether that is mechanical failure or something else, it puts Zamperla in a difficult situation with its customer. If this keeps happening to these off-the-shelf flat rides, God knows what would happen if they were chosen to re-imagine arguably one of the best coasters in the world. I'm sorry to burst anyone's bubble but Zamperla doing this project is a MASSIVE no go. I couldn't care less if they are re-doing Senzafiato, that is meerly just a prototype for Zamperla to test out launch systems and trains. So, night night Zamperla, you're not in the picture anymore!

Now we get to the good stuff. Only the best enthusiasts will understand that if anyone was to touch Dragster, only Intamin could do it. As you all well know by now, Cedar Fair and Intamins relationship has been a little rocky, however we shall not dwell on those issues as we are over a decade after Intimidator and almost a decade after Shoot The Rapids, so you would think by now Cedar Fair should have seen what work they have done and gone: "actually, they're pretty damn cool now!". Also, not to long ago images surfaced of new track at the Stakotra Plant which fabricates the track for Intamin and as you can see, its very bloody wide:
1684433421086.png
Source
I know that the predictions are that this is for the new Fast & Furious coaster at Universal Hollywood, however on the pictures, there is a lot of supports with alot of connections that kind of look like a certain attraction proposed for Busch Gardens Williamsburg.
Drachen Spire.jpg
And also, the gauge of the track doesn't matter, the track on the top hat seems like it will be replace, so you know, to much evidence out there to suggest that this is an Intamin project.

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
Doesn't anybody have some recent footage from the Zamperla site? That much track could probably not hide that easily from sight. Could clarify speculations pretty much right away.