What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
I want to chime in because this discussion is mostly about fees and not having your phone in the queue. With my medical conditions, not having my bag on me, which carries my water bottle and medicine container, being in a queue could put either me (via dehydration, which sometimes takes less than an hour on a hot summer day) or someone else (via getting a panic attack, not having my medicine on me and accidentally breaking someones nose, which has happened before) in the hospital.

I don't understand what the point of is shelling out millions of dollars to renovate a ride after it has severely hurt a guest, only to then resort to this weasly, pathetic "we don't care, our asses are covered"-attitude.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
Agreed overall, and I'm realizing I may have already assumed lockers would be pay-for when they announced a few weeks back there would be no storage space within the TT2 infield. While I'd like to think this is more an oversight (e.g. Steel Vengeance too debuted with pay-for lockers, which eventually received in-station/in-queue locker storage in subsequent years), it's still an obvious gaff having had years to plan this retrofit and lay blame at "later revision" of layout.

We unfortunately have been desensitized to requirement of pay-for lockers (cue SFGAdv) as a society, and while I know coaster enthusiasts are hoping for a certain Les Miserable-style battalion to form of unhappy guests rising up against the tyrannic bourgeoise - I fear this will mostly be an annoying grumble from park goers as they still cough up their $5 locker fee. Here's hoping CP rights the wrong (as requiring pay-for lockers for any guest experience once in the park is always wrong) in subsequent years. 🙏
I truly enjoyed the Les Mis reference. Thank you for that. I do agree it's a desensitization issue when it comes to paying for lockers. If you are *requiring* items to be left in a locker and/or have no bins available in the station then they should be free. Otherwise I understand charging for the convenience of something that isn't necessary due to other free storage options.

I want to chime in because this discussion is mostly about fees and not having your phone in the queue. With my medical conditions, not having my bag on me, which carries my water bottle and medicine container, being in a queue could put either me (via dehydration, which sometimes takes less than an hour on a hot summer day) or someone else (via getting a panic attack, not having my medicine on me and accidentally breaking someones nose, which has happened before) in the hospital.

I don't understand what the point of is shelling out millions of dollars to renovate a ride after it has severely hurt a guest, only to then resort to this weasly, pathetic "we don't care, our asses are covered"-attitude.
I feel like in your situation you could go to guest services to explain the situation and I would be very surprised if they didn't allow an accommodation.

As many have said, this seems like a lazy attempt to excuse poor planning for something they should have been thinking about.

rideguy70

Mega Poster
Do glasses straps even work against negative G's?
I use glasses straps on all sorts of rides, and haven't had an issue with them yet.

Strangely, at SFOG, one ride op asked us to remove my glasses, even though they had a strap. And I'm basically blind without them. Which is why I figure CF is allowing glasses with straps, because if someone who is visually impaired can't wear their glasses in line, it could be a safety hazard.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
I feel like in your situation you could go to guest services to explain the situation and I would be very surprised if they didn't allow an accommodation.

I would expect to have no problems when it comes to Cedar Point, but first of all, I shouldn't need to explain my medical history to guest services, and second of all, I have encountered more than enough braindead security-NPCs in my life (sorry, I know you guys are doing an important job) who wouldn't listen to anything. I can easily avoid places that don't allow bottles because most of them make it clear on their websites, but this sort of thing is just annoying.

Dan Nguyen

Roller Poster

You can bring a medical bag with you into the queue. I'm sure they'll allow water bottles into the queue as well. Can't have anyone pass out from dehydration while waiting for hours. A lot of parks in the US have adopted a "zero bags in the queue" policy for quite some time now and medical bags are usually the excepion.

I think part of the reason they're requiring lockers is because the ride hurt a guest. They're doing this to cover their asses. Maybe requiring lockers was included in the settlement with the victim's family. I don't think we'll ever know the true reason why they're requiring it.

Yeah CP should've added double sided lockers or free storage like other parks are doing. Yeah forcing everyone to pay money for lockers sucks big time. The park will probably look at their options once the park opens and people have had a chance to ride. Or they'll probably go the GAdv route and require lockers for other rides. I've fortunately got a non-rider I can leave my stuff with.

I'm in a group chat where one of the members has basically been whining about this policy for the past couple weeks now. I'd be ok with the rest of the park requiring lockers just to spite him lol.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
In short, if you have medical note from a doctor; medical exception can always be made for needing to bring medical equipment/medication/etc. needed to address any conditions.

To the glass strap question, yes it goes with you: https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/2024/top-thrill-2-rider-safety-guidelines

GLASSES​

Glasses may be worn on Top Thrill 2, provided they are secured with a strap that is tightly secured to your head. You may not hold glasses or any other items while riding.

And for more context to the "later revisions", have been doing some added sleuthing with local friends and folks closer to the know at the park; it sounds like "the call" for clamping down on no items allowed within zipper pockets may have been made by Ride Operations or park insurance adjusters. On both of these fronts, there is a quasi-process for a new ride, where the park's construction team builds and commissions the ride to ensure complete and safe operation of the ride. At this moment, the ride is "handed over" to the park's operations team (aka Ride Ops) and other park departments to finalize all ride operation standards and requirements; this is things down to the detail of what is the minimum/maximum number of ride ops needed for safe ride operation, rider minimum height, and other semantics that can exceed manufacturer minimum recommendations. Insurance adjusters can also make recommendation of ride operation requirements to minimize risk/ensure optimal safety. Somewhere between these two factors was the moment of nixing allowance of riders to use zip pockets/require all items be stashed in lockers or with a non-rider.

Gives some rationale to the later nature of this announcement (I still so fondly recall rogue Steel Vengeance riders who snuck cell phones onto the ride, only to accidentally tomahawk them off the ride on the double up after the MCBR), but still an obvious gaffe having a suboptimal "Plan B".

But, if you'll indulge me in a brief story time from my 2009 stint in CP Guest Services, that directly links to Top Thrill loose article policy:

A couple marched into the Guest Services office around mid-day, sharing the unfortunate news that they had lost their digital camera while riding TTD, which had photos of their newborn child. Setting aside the notion of why they wouldn't backup/send baby photos, were definitely not wearing cargo/zipper pockets, or the sheer safety question of if a newborn mother should be riding a roller coaster; we called down to the area manager, who flagged it for the ride ops team to do a careful sweep of the track infield that night (standard process for ride open and close).

But that wasn't enough - the couple wanted their photos now.

Often these types of gripe and complaint go unmet - it's easy to say no to guests who grow irate or come to expect anything outside of normal operation (e.g. YOU SHOULD REFUND MY PARK TICKET BECAUSE A SEAGULL POOPED ON ME!), but this couple managed to persuade the area manager enough to shut down TTD for 30 minutes, dedicating staff to quickly scan the area under the launch, brake, and top hat for a missing camera.

And you know what - the camera was found!

Except one thing, the camera memory card slot was popped open, and no SD card present. So with the camera returned to the couple - 45 minutes into the encounter I might add - they were even more unhappy that they did not have a memory card in hand. Things only digressed from here, getting to the point of the gentleman threatening to: 1. jump the fence and search for himself 2. sneak into the park at night 3. swim (?) around the lake to sneak into the TTD area (I don't think he realized the park's lagoon is, in fact, not Lake Erie).

So try as we might, the couple left unhappy (albeit gently accompanied by CP Police). Never heard if they tried to sneak back on property, but I do know the missing SD Card of 2009 was unfortunately never recovered.

TL;DR Maybe this locker policy is a better idea than not. 😅