What's new

Cedar Point, October 2, 2021

Skyye

Mega Poster
(Photos will come later, all of them are on my phone atm)

Basically, a few months before my birthday, I had originally planned to go to Kings Island with a friend for my birthday. However, that friend was already busy with Homecoming stuff, so my dad and I ended up going to Cedar Point instead.

Day 0 (Friday, Oct 1): The Drive pt 1

That Friday was a half-day at school since there was a parade later in the evening, which gave me plenty of time to prepare for the weekend. Later that evening, we drove from ~8pm Central Time to ~2am Eastern TIme, and stopped at a hotel about an hour away, and then continued the drive in the morning the next day.

Day 1 (Saturday, Oct 2):

After fueling up on a single bottle of Mt. Dew, and running on about five hours of sleep, I was prepared to get the rest of the credits I couldn't get before. We ended up parking in the waterpark lot instead of the front lot, but that was fine since it let us on the first two rides without too long of a wait.

[New credits are Italicized]

Magnum XL-200, Magic seat

We started the day by getting to Magnum and waited less than 15 minutes, where the ride op at the station's entrance let us choose any empty row. We took the opportunity to get the Magic Seat and all I have to say is: wow. I honestly thought my phone was going to break in my (closed) pocket because of how strong the airtime on the last few hills was. However, the turnaround and the bottom of the first hill were jerkier than I had remembered from my first ride in 2018, but Magnum was a good ride to start the day off with. {9/10}

Gemini (Red Side), row 10

Gemini was a nice and smooth ride, with some light floater airtime on the hills and a fun experience. We waited about 15 minutes again. It was my first racing coaster that actually ran both sides (One side of Racer at KI was closed in Oct. 2019, and one side of American Eagle was closed Sept. 2021), so it was nice to actually feel like we were racing. Unfortunately, I didn't race against my dad since I had the idea when it was too late. Overall, it was a good ride. {8/10}

Steel Vengeance, row 11

SteVe.jpg

We headed towards Steel Vengeance since Maverick was closed. We rented a locker (we forgot about the free lockers), then waited for anywhere between 1.5-2hrs. While in line, we noticed the number of people coming in after we did was slowing down compared to when we entered the line. It could be because some people didn't want to wait for that amount of time, or it was because Maverick opened while we were in line. Oh well. We got to the metal detectors, where we put anything else we didn't put in our rented locker in the free locker, then proceeded. We were assigned row 11, which meant the first drop and following airtime was absolutely insane. I got the left side of the row, and when we went into the midcourse, I was somehow slammed to the side. The best parts on this ride have to be the last airtime hills and the massive outerbank. Well done, RMC. Well done. {10/10}

Lunch Break

Nothing special to say about lunch. Maverick was running when we got off SteVe, and broke down while we ate. We had Chicken tenders at The Roundup, which were just okay to be honest. Probably would have been better with ketchup, and the fries could have been a smidge saltier, but its whatever. {5-6/10}

Millennium Force, Row 13 or 14 (I think)

Millenium Airplane.jpg

After eating our lunch, we headed over to Millennium since Maverick was still closed. Once again, we waited for 1.5-2 hrs. It is currently the only Giga coaster I've been on, but it is still loads of fun. The first drop seemed to last a while and gave me some good floater airtime, and the following overbank was super forceful. The airtime hills also gave decently strong floater, and the over banks between the two hills didn't seem to be as strong as the first one. The last hill gave some quick floater as well, before we whizzed by the guests in the queue line and flew into the overbank. Even though it doesn't do a lot compared to the B&M gigas (IMO), it is still in the top 5 in the park. {9/10}

Weather

So far during the trip, the skies had been mostly clear, with a few clouds scattered in the sky. However, around 5pm, a storm came rolling close enough to CP to close the rides for 2-3 hours. Fortunately, I was in the covered portion of Maverick's queue line, so I didn't get too wet until later.

Maverick, Night ride, Row 5

This was our longest wait of the day, mainly because of the weather shut down. However, it was worth it, because we were assigned row 5. There had been enough cycles where the seats weren't wet. I don't mind the shoulder straps since they're soft, but they're annoying when they're wet, because they don't dry fast. When we finally launched, the first drop gave me one of the strongest moments of airtime I've ever experienced, even stronger than most airtime on SV. The fast transitions, dark plot of land, multi-colored lights at the first twists, the dark tunnel leading into more darkness, it was all one of the best experiences I had at the point. {10/10}

Dinner

Panda Express. {Food/10}

Rougarou, row 8

Rougarou (which we jokingly called Ruh-Roh, idk why) was my first floorless coaster that wasn't a dive coaster, and we waited around 15-30 minutes. This was one of the most painful experiences I've had on a coaster. It seemed to be really rough at some of the valleys, and it had started to drizzle, meaning I had raindrops smack against my face. A combination of the two caused me to not fully enjoy the ride as I thought I would, but it could be worse? {7/10}

Raptor, row 5

After getting off of rougarou, we headed straight for Raptor, since the app showed that Valravn was closed for some reason. We had waited around 45 minutes, including when they had to put a train in storage for who knows why. I was getting on the ride, expecting a rough ride, since my dad had been telling me that it was really rough when he rode it in 2018. However, it was super smooth and whippy. I got the right-side outside seat, and the zero-g and corkscrews were super whippy, along with the awesome helix. It almost seemed like the midcourse wasn't turned on. In my opinion, it is definitely a top 5 ride in the park, and it is a coaster I want to ride more. {9.75/10}

Gatekeeper, row 6

We headed across the midway to get to Gatekeeper's plaza area. We got in line, watched kids get a hat off one of the canopies in the queue line, and got rained on once again for about five seconds. However, it was just long enough to cause quite a few people to leave the queue line. They did have to put a train in the storage due to a problem with that train, which increased our wait time, but we only waited around 45-60 minutes again. On the ride, it was smooth and fast, but not really that forceful. It was just fun, and it's nice to have a ride that's just fun (Gemini fits in this category as well IMO.) {8/10}

Final Ride: Steel Vengeance, row 2

SteVe at night.jpg

Really the only difference between this ride and the ride earlier in the day is that the airtime on the drop wasn't as strong, but I felt more of the wind in my face. Unfortunately, the park closed after I got off this final ride, as we waited around 45-60 minutes again.

Ride Count in review:
2x Steel Vengeance
1x Magnum
1x Gemini (red)
1x Millennium Force
1x Raptor
1x Maverick
1x Gatekeeper

I would've gotten on at least one more ride if it hadn't been for the rain delay, but I still had a great time overall.

Bonus (Oct. 3)

We started the drive home on this day and managed to get home in time for dinner. On our drive, we saw a piece of track for the SR2 at Riyadh winter wonderland on the interstate headed east in Indiana, which was cool.Corkscrew at night.jpg

Last edited:

James F

Hyper Poster
That's sounds like a lot of queuing, but it seems you had a good day. How does Mountain Dew wake you up? It just seems pretty weak compared to red bull, although I'd take it over that.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Skyye

Mega Poster
That's sounds like a lot of queuing, but it seems you had a good day. How does Mountain Dew wake you up? It just seems pretty weak compared to red bull, although I'd take it over that.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk
i honestly haven't tried an energy drink, and I really don't plan on trying any.

Skyye

Mega Poster
Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip!
I figured I would, but one thing that surprised me the most was how good of a night ride Maverick gives.

Also, thanks for reminding me to get the photos uploaded when I get home

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I figured I would, but one thing that surprised me the most was how good of a night ride Maverick gives.
A choice Cedar Point made along the way (in a very good way) was to reduce/remove the amount of lights on the ride.

Originally, there were larger flood lights used. They attracted bugs/muffleheads off of the lake and ruined night ride vibes - shifting to having lights only on the lift-launch is a definitely upgrade. :)