What's new

Cedar Point Extending Beach, Removing Stadium and Sandcastle Suites

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Straight from the horses mouth: https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/a-few-changes-to-discuss

Overall, a development I'm really looking forward to. The Beach has been very underutilized for too long.

The only constant is change. And we have ch-ch-ch-changes to tell you about before we wrap things up for 2017.

Every now and then, we have to move things around or remove them completely in order to look to the future, and there are two major projects to tell you about.

First, our Sandcastle Suites Hotel, located at the tip of the Cedar Point Peninsula, is now closed. For good. As in, the last guests (ever) checked out this past Sunday morning.

ssh.jpg

Over the winter, the property will be demolished, along with the Breakwater Café building adjacent to it.

Second, the Extreme Sports Stadium (also referred to as the former Aquatic Stadium), located near Wicked Twister, will also be dismantled over the off-season.

ess.jpg

If you’re curious about the “All Wheels Extreme” show that called this venue home, we’ll have more on our entire entertainment lineup for 2018 as we get into the new year. Stay tuned.

Third, we’re doing a little expanding along the beach. The Cedar Point Boardwalk, which currently runs from Sandcastle Suites, down the beach, in front of Hotel Breakers and stops right near WindSeeker, will be expanded so that it reaches to, and connects with, the main parking lot.

This will provide some great direct access to the famous Cedar Point Beach, our waterfront activities like parasail and jet ski, and of course, Cedar Point Shores Waterpark. You'll finally be able to take a stroll and enjoy the one-of-a-kind waterfront views.

Obviously, you now have questions. There aren’t many details to share right now, but these things are changing for the good of the order - future development at the park. More info will surface as we approach our 2018 summer season!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Let me also expand a bit here - do not read this as a MAJOR NEW ROLLER COASTER INBOUND... or at least not just yet.

Roll the clocks back 4 years to when Gatekeeper opened and CF had the chance to talk with Rob Decker. He really emphasized Windseeker and Gatekeeper as opening up that portion of the park to take better advantage of the beach and view.
For now, this really is a matter of improving the Beach experience at the park, rather than dropping in a new attraction. Cedar Point is well underway in their expansion of the Hotel Breakers Hotel, and has also added renovated pavilion space for group meals next to Windseeker, immediately adjacent the beach. Taking out the Stadium as they look to improve beach access is a natural next step, as it continues to improve the experience in this neck of the park and drive continued focus to the Beach.

To entertain the question on attraction addition for a moment however... it's pretty tight. First, let's look at the stadium: the square footage itself is not too large, and given relatively new investments/attractions surrounding the stadium, it's tough to think of anything sizeable that would be able to use this space. (Windseeker, Tiki Twirl, Giant Wheel, Wicked Twister, and the Picnic Pavilion all abut on all sides).

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 12.28.54 PM.jpg

If we take a look at Sandcastle Suites, this is a property that has always intentionally been far off of the beaten path. Located behind the camp grounds, it is far from the park border, and would be difficult to imagine being used as an attraction space. If anything, I could see it be expansion space for Cedar Point Shores water park some time down the road, but even that would require serious redevelopment and consideration, as Soak City has a hard stop to the north with the Wave Pool and Camp Village. There is an access path that runs along the Cedar Point Shores border back to Sandcastle Suites, and offers great views of the beach and Magnum; but this is not a large midway ready for massive foot traffic.
Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 12.28.32 PM.jpg
All of this is to say, it's going to be a great effort for bringing more people to the Beach, which is truly the only real beach access outside of East Harbor State Park in Port Clinton, OH, a half hour drive away.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
What I could see with the removal of the Sports Arena:
I could either see a Flat Ride/Small Rollercoaster (ala skywarp) or a 2 story dark ride shooter of some kind, probably something like Wonder Mountain's so they can count it as a roller coaster, but different in terms of theme.
As for the Hotel? I'm thinking a Campsite expansion, a Cedar Point Shores expansion, or a new hotel. I would be fine with either of these.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I could either see a Flat Ride/Small Rollercoaster (ala skywarp) or a 2 story dark ride shooter of some kind, probably something like Wonder Mountain's so they can count it as a roller coaster, but different in terms of theme.
I'm really going to throw my stock into making this an open midway area, even move the Beach Gate over as part of the Boardwalk expansion that will take place behind Wicked Twister. Something that would draw regular park goers to the beach, even if for 5-20 minutes.

gaberz_ii

Roller Poster
While far off, I have a feeling that Cedar Point could use these changes as stepping stones for their 2020 "celebration" for the park's 150th anniversary. I've felt for a while (based off nothing) that Wicked Twister was on it's way out, and it could possibly be relocated to CGA or some other park, considering that it's somewhat overshadowed by the other coasters at the park. They could use that land combined with the arena land for some kind of major expansion. It makes sense (to me at least) because, 148 years ago, The Breakers opened with the main focus being the same area of the Cedar Point beach.
Also, since Cedar Point has recently been trying to re-brand as a full-fledged resort, I could see them turning Sandcastle's land into some sort of concert hall/amphitheater, similar to what Kings Island has.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
After riding Wicked Twister this year I had the feeling that they needed to take the ride out. It was a lot rougher than I remember and there was NO line. Granted I went on a Sunday in September but with the announcement of the stadium being taken out maybe there is a long term plan to use that area for a dark ride or roller coaster with a small footprint. They could always relocate it to Dorney Park like they did with Demon Drop.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
They could always relocate it to Dorney Park like they did with Demon Drop.
They already have an impulse: Possessed.
However, last time I rode it, wheel or no wheel, I got a headache from how vibrate-y it was. I would never say it's rough, but it is definitely has a massive vibration, more so than TTD or even MF.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
They already have an impulse: Possessed.
However, last time I rode it, wheel or no wheel, I got a headache from how vibrate-y it was. I would never say it's rough, but it is definitely has a massive vibration, more so than TTD or even MF.
Oh right! I forgot about Possessed. And rough wasn't the right word, vibrate-y is perfect. I definitely had a small headache after it.

gaberz_ii

Roller Poster
Oh right! I forgot about Possessed. And rough wasn't the right word, vibrate-y is perfect. I definitely had a small headache after it.

I wonder if the vibration is caused by the proximity to the beach. I've noticed a nasty rattle on the first half of Gatekeeper, and that's right on the beach too.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
I wonder if the vibration is caused by the proximity to the beach. I've noticed a nasty rattle on the first half of Gatekeeper, and that's right on the beach too.
Maybe... But mind you, the first drop is almost like a pretzel knot (Ala Banshee) where it gets to the bottom and then goes up into an Immelman. It's probably causing a good amount of stress on the track.

gaberz_ii

Roller Poster
Maybe... But mind you, the first drop is almost like a pretzel knot (Ala Banshee) where it gets to the bottom and then goes up into an Immelman. It's probably causing a good amount of stress on the track.

That makes sense too, the B&M wing trains are extremely heavy, and that's a very forceful element.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The stadium seems to have been on its way out for a while - it was only a matter of time. I'm actually intrigued by the removal of Sandcastle Suites. The building was recently renovated and from what I remember, there wasn't anything wrong with it. I can't imagine what they would do with the space aside from either a larger, newer hotel or an expansion of the camp ground.

Nevertheless, it'll be interesting to watch the beach area develop over the next few years.

Mack

Mega Poster
The Stadium was like Disaster Transport. You knew it was on its way out, you just weren't sure when. I wonder if Sandcastle Suites was underperforming. Honestly, I can't imagine much that people would want to stay right on top of the park. I've never been, though, so I guess I can't speak for it.

That area of the park is grossly under-capacity/under-utilized compared to the midway going past Raptor that it definitely makes sense to funnel some foot traffic that way.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
With the removal of the stadium; that midway will be completely removed/altered of every attraction that was there in my life time. Other parts of the park have seen some rides come and go, but the Wicked Twister Midway will now be 100% different.

Speaking of which, ran across some fun photos from Disaster Transport and Space Spiral's last day of operation:

Mack

Mega Poster
hahahaha i've only seen it on the map, i've never actually seen it in person, same here been like 15+ times

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
And that's exactly why I'd stay there until I realized that the cabins were a better deal.