What's new

Cedar point: best time to visit?

rcjp

Roller Poster
Hi there.

I'm planning to go to the US this year and visit, among other parks, cedar point and I will go there either on the last week of August (when the park opens at 11 a.m and closes at 9 p.m) or on the last week of June (10 a.m to 10 p.m). I was wondering if anyone could suggest the best time of the two to go there considering the park hours as well as how crowded it might be.

Thanks a lot.

Snoo

The Legend
A week day. If you go on a Saturday, you might as well not go. The crowds will be quite large but I've ridden every coaster plus re-rides on busy Sunday in August.

rcjp

Roller Poster
Thank you.

I'll be there for two days and I want to use every single minute available to ride as many times as possible.
I just hope that it isn't like it was when I went to S.F Great Adventure in 2011. It was awfully crowded and I only got to ride each coaster once (but I guess that the opening of green lantern only made things worse)

coaster_rider93

Mega Poster
The Tuesday after Memorial Day, which would be May 28th this year, is always an excellent time to go. The Memorial Day crowds are gone and most kids are still in school. I've been doing this for the past five seasons and it has always worked for me. Relatively short lines and plenty of opportunity for re-rides. If that doesn't work, tuesdays, wednesdays, and thursdays in June are also good days to go!

coaster_rider93

Mega Poster
^Somewhat, from what I have experienced. The beginning of July not so much, but once that second week hits, it is pretty much crowded from then to the middle/end of August.

coaster_rider93

Mega Poster
Yeah if you're going for two days you'll be fine. As long as it is during the week. If it is a friday/saturday or a saturday/sunday I say goodluck, or invest in the fastlane* wristbands

adam

Roller Poster
I went the last week in August 2011 and timed it perfectly as the schools started back the 2nd of the 3 days I was there.

Ride count across the 3 days was:
Millennium Force x 6
TTD x 10
Raptor x 3
Wicked Twister x 2
Maverick x 2
Magnum x 2
And everything else once.

I could have crammed more in too, that was pretty relaxed going, so if you can time it when the schools are back there is plenty of potential for re-rides. At times TTD was crazy with no wait time.

Also I've heard it's improved since I was there, but I would leave Mean Streak until you're planning a break. It gave me a serious headache and had to go lie down in the hotel for an hour after it...

coaster_rider93

Mega Poster
TilySlo said:
When do the school holidays start in the states?

I'm assuming you are refering to summer break. If that is the case, most schools let out between the first and second week of June. Some "local" schools let out in late May.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I had a couple of days there after the US live last year - wednesday and thursday (13th and 14th of june IIRC).

The wednesday was moderately busy - queues of about an hour for the main rides (Mille, TTD and mav), but blue streak and a lot of others were practically walk on - I got fastpasses for the first day (well worth it) and did everything several times, and had an easy morning the next day (which seemed to be less busy).

rcjp

Roller Poster
well, I've decide to go there in August.
I'll go to Six flags great adventure on the 23rd (Friday), dorney park on the 24th (Saturday), hershey on the 25th (sunday) and to cedar point on the 27th and 28th. In one of the parks I will purchase fast lane, flash pass or whatever. Can anyone tell me in which one it may be more useful?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Sounds like a good line up!

Dorney and Hershey will not need a fast lane pass - both are easily do-able in a day with rerides.

Cedar Point's Fast Lane setup is haphazard, and really leaves room to question if you have that much to gain in paying the $60 some odd extra.

I have heard good review of Six Flags' flash pass, and would recommend using it there. It is a better system which will give you better odds of truly better wait times.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
How is cedar fair's fastlane haphazard? I got it last year and got straight on all the advertised rides, and several rerides. Totally awesome day and I'd recommend it to anyone and all but the lightest days!

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Early or late season. AKA May or August (September ideally).
Both have been pretty good for me, can get most of the park done in a day, and all of it under 2. May seems best though.

Never tried during summer but I hear, and logic would say, it's crazy packed.