What's new

Camelot Theme Park saved

Emmett

Giga Poster
Don't know if this is an April's Fools or not. :?:

KNIGHTS LEISURE RIDES TO CAMELOT RESCUE

The countdown is on to the re-opening of Camelot Theme Park on Saturday, May 23, 2009.

The announcement follows the purchase of the site by The Story Group, based in Carlisle, which has leased the park to newly-formed leisure group, Knights Leisure.

The lease will enable the park to resume its operations after going into receivership in February. Fred Story, owner and Chief Executive of The Story Group, said that he believed the brownfield site was ideally placed for a residential mixed use development and would be entering into a dialogue with Chorley Borough Council to agree the development potential of the site.

Knights Leisure meanwhile, led by Managing Director Roy Page, has already begun preparations for the new season by recruiting experienced senior managers, many of whom worked at Camelot previously, bringing invaluable experience to Knights Leisure.

In addition to creating full-time jobs, up to 150 seasonal posts will be created by Knights Leisure. Recruitment for these jobs will begin immediately.

He said: “Weeks of uncertainty have come to an end and, whilst I appreciate that the site’s longer term future is likely to include major mixed use redevelopment, we are concentrating now on putting all our energy into preparing the park and rides for the new season.

“I am delighted that The Story Group has released funds to secure the park’s re-opening. It will enable us to provide a fantastic day out for families and groups of visitors from throughout the North West and beyond.

“There’s already a real buzz about the place which we are sure will regain its position as one of the region’s leading family visitor attractions. We’ve got some really exciting plans which we’ll be sharing in due course.

“I’m delighted that the vast majority of Camelot’s entertainment staff have already pledged their support and will be appearing throughout the 2009 season. They include King Arthur, the knights, jesters, jugglers and fire-eaters - and the back-up staff who make a trip to Camelot such a memorable experience,” added Roy Page.

Les Ross, one of the joint receivers at Grant Thornton, who negotiated the deal, said: “Securing the sale of Camelot Theme Park is a great result, particularly in the current economic climate.

“This deal has secured more than 150 jobs, both full-time and seasonal, in the short term while the new owners submit a planning application for an alternative use for the site.”

Taken from Ukrides.info.

AeRo

Hyper Poster
It isn't an April Fools. I got that very Press Release yesterday.

It's great news for the Park ... in the short term.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
May explain why all the rides are still standing.

Its still easy to spot the place from the M6.

CoasterKing

Mega Poster
Its not an April Fools. The company Knights Entertainment really does exist it is based in the North of Cumbria. They were going to take over Lowther Theme Park over before it closed but Lord Lowther wanted to use the land as a private estate to invest on country shows in the Lake District.
Its great news that not only they are taking the helm to save the park but they are also looking at investment and making the estate bigger. I'm really pleased with this news.

CoasterKing

Mega Poster
By the way the company which owns K.NIGHT Entertainment is called Story Group. They own Carlisle market and have invested land near Scotland. They are quite a big group and will do Camelot well.

luke8

Mega Poster
'Mixed residential use' doesn't sound too promising in the future, and we kinda already knew it would open this season anyway.

I also recieved this press release yesterday afternoon, just like AeRo did.

Good news, but I can't see them making the place a successful theme park after this seasons unfortunately.

And from what I can see by parking in the hard-shoulder on the M6 a couple of days ago, Knightmare, Whirlwind, excalibur and The Rack were all still standing. good news!

A

Anonymous

At the way the economy is this may be a good thing for the park. But for how long ? Only time will show if this is a good or bad.

Hopefully it will get back to a nice basis and may grow into a bigger park than it is but that being very very optimistic.

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
Thankgod it's been saved. I really want to try out Knightmare so now I have a chance. That's if I go this year though.

spicy

Giga Poster
So just to clarify this is deinately NOT an April Fools? Way to pick a good day to announce it. :lol:

Im glad to see it being saved and I will visit the park this year to ride Knightmare despite all the bad reviews that the park gets.

Also interesting how the Camelot goes into recievership topic has 6 pages but the topic about it being saved hasn't even managed a full page yet.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Perhaps because some of us are more or less indifferent to the news.

Camelot may have re-opened, but the place is in decline, and the new owners have already said they intend to "submit a planning application for an alternative use for the site.” Most likely the place will still close, it just appears to have been given a short term reprieve.

I'm almost tempted to go back one last time this season, but I don't really like the idea of spending nearly £20 to get in to that place. I've already ridden all of the smaller rides, and the bigger rides are uncomfortable to say the least. Last time I was bored of the place after around four hours, so it's not exactly value for money.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Mixed Residential means:

Theme Park closed at the end of season. Rides which can be sold are moved on. Site remains unused and an eye-sore for ten years plus because:

a) There are problems with planning to build on the land due to local residents.
b) The amount spent buying the land for such use results in the company owning it not having enough left to invest in a build.
c) Nobody will buy the land area or rent it because of a)

Here lies the future of Camelot :(

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Sometimes, I feel a strong desire to hug the fact that the rest of Europe isn't like England. But how do you hug a fact?

Emmett

Giga Poster
I'm surprised they are still charging £20 to get in, I thought they would practically giving the tickets away to attract people. I know they need to make as much as possible before they shut but £20 just seems a bit high to me for what the park offer.

Even a few years ago I remember a local telling me about the planning for the area and developers who were after the land. But in a recession now who knows what will happen when the park shuts.

A

Anonymous

was relieved when i heard Camelot was saved, means i get a second chance to go on Knightmare. :--D

A

Anonymous

It is only saved for this year as of yet so don't get your hopes up.