What's new

Camelot PTR

Brookes

Giga Poster
Yesterday my cousin and I took a trip to Camelot! We’d never been before so I was looking forward to riding the coasters especially Knightmare, and getting a general overview of the park. We got there at around quarter to 11 and used a 2 for 1 to get in. First of all, I was quite impressed by the entrance and first area you walk into, it’s all very nice and makes good use of its surroundings.

P8130404.jpg

Yet, once we had finally found the path you take to get to Knightmare, the area that it’s in is rather tacky. Anyway, as we walked past the food court we saw Knightmare with an empty train so opted first for Whirlwind. It was about a 10 minute queue then we were on. I sat right hand side going backwards.

P8130379.jpg

I’ve got to say my first ride on it was pretty decent. Wasn’t really jolty or bumpy at all and ok layout. Still, nothing great though and it’s appearance could be easily improved with a lick of paint.

P8130398.jpg

Next up was Camelot’s feature attraction, Knightmare! It was running two trains and we realised the empty train was one of the trains being sent around with weights in. We got in the queue and again it must have been about a 10 minute wait and we sat row 3, not knowing what to expect.

P8130382.jpg

The bumps you get as you leave the station didn’t fill me with confidence, but as we headed up the spiral lift hill, the ride seems higher than it first appears.

The first drop, turn around and hill are all taken with a good speed but the transitions are horrid. However, the rest of the ride is brilliant IMO. The “psycho drop” is fantastic and the rest of the layout is pure force with helixes and tight turns. Great coaster if a bit jolty in places.

P8130381.jpg

We walked back over to the other part of the park after and got in the queue for Dragon Flyer. Again it was around 10 minutes and I didn’t really have high hopes for it, but I actually thought it was pretty good, not as a coaster but for getting great views of that side of the park. The ride op at the front looked enthralled. :lol:

P8130393.jpg

We then walked on the water slide things, Pendragon’s Plunge. Nice feature how you can race, though one of the two slides open was obviously shorter than the other which kind of defeated the object of racing. Still they were good, though their layouts were quite short and we got a little wet.

P8130394.jpg

Seeing as we were already wet, we went on the Log Flume. It was walk on at the time we went on (around 10 past 12) though seemed to become busier later on in the day. We got told to shuffle forward in the boat or else it would “tip over”.

P8130402.jpg

It was ok, simple enough with a bit of theming and a good drop which got me very wet. The water’s pretty murky though.

We then walked on Caterpillar Capers and I sat at the back, was good enough for a Big Apple. Could do with painting though.

P8130403.jpg

By now it was about 10 minutes until the Jousting Show started and there were already a load of people in the arena so we thought we’d take our seats. Unfortunately, though it was dry on the day, the surface was boggy so no jousting could take place so it was only foot combat. Still it was a great show and I really enjoyed it. I mean, they had a flaming flail, what more could you want?

The show finished at about 1 so we were both hungry so headed to the food court. I had pie, chips and a drink and I’ve got to say it was good quality and a good price.

My cousin then wanted to go on the ghost train thing, Dungeons of Doom. We queued about 10 minutes for it, the cars were pretty unique and it didn’t really do a lot, but it was decent.

P8130399.jpg

We then strolled down to the Birds of Prey and Animal Centre which was pretty cool. There was quite a lot in there including a massive rabbit!

P8130384.jpg

P8130387.jpg

P8130389.jpg

P8130395.jpg

After we decided on a re-ride on Knightmare. We entered the queue which looked a little longer than earlier. However, they were now running both trains with people in and the front row was empty and they were asking for a 2 so we duly obliged.

P8130385.jpg

Front row was even better and definitely more enjoyable than the previous ride, and I got airtime on the hill!

P8130383.jpg

As I found Whirlwind all right, we walked on for a re-ride. This time I sat on the left going backwards and it was much worse than before. It’s rare I actually complain of a ride being simply terrible or rough but it wasn’t in any way enjoyable in that seat. The shaping is just bad.

P8130380.jpg

Back over to the other side of the park, we got back on Dragon Flyer after about a 5 minute queue as it was quite enjoyable before and again it was good. It is fast enough to actually provide a bit of a feeling of speed but also lets you see the whole area.

P8130401.jpg

Next we walked on the swinging ship, Pirate Galleon. Not as good as Blade (the only other pirate ship I’ve been on) but it had a pretty long cycle.

P8130400.jpg

We went back on Pendragon’s Plunge but swapped sides this time and again it was a fun ride. I got soaked on my back though.

By now it was about mid-afternoon, so we headed back over to the other side of the park and I grabbed an ice cream. Another ride on Knightmare was on the agenda, so after a short wait we decided to be brave and go back row.

P8130386.jpg

P8130392.jpg

Again great ride, but the seatbelt can dig in at some point which hurts and some of the entrances to helixes bashed you against the side. Very intense in the back though and the brakes are very harsh!

P8130391.jpg

We saw the last coaster we had to get had no queue, so we went on Junior Dragon Coaster. I sat at the back (like it makes a difference) and we got four circuits. I did get partly thrown to the side on the first corner though as I was sitting in a rather casual position.

P8130396.jpg

Then we popped back in the Birds of Prey centre as some of the birds had been missing due to being involved in the show when we looked earlier on, then finished the day with a row 6 ride on Knightmare, Dragon Flyer and the Dodgems.

P8130397.jpg

P8130390.jpg

As we walked back up to Knightmare, we unfortunately saw a train hit a seagull on the track. Luckily, there was no-one on it as the weights had been put back in, but it was a horrible thing to see.

Despite this, it was a great day and Camelot is a good little park that was better than what I was expecting. However, without re-rides you wouldn’t really have enough to fill your afternoon. The variety of rides is great and in parts, some things are themed well, but closing at 5 in peak season without any substantial queues throughout the day is obviously a problem. Still, with some TLC and a few new rides, I think it could be a great place. I’m glad I’ve been but I don’t think I’d go back without anything new being added. It was good enough for £13 each though. :--D

Ride count:

Whirlwind x2
Knightmare x4 (Front row)
Dragon Flyer x3
Pendragon’s Plunge x2
Log Flume x1
Caterpillar Capers x1
Jousting Show x1
Dungeons of Doom x1
Birds of Prey x2
Pirate Galleon x1
Junior Dragon Coaster x1
Dodgems x1

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
The front part of the park is in my opinion quite a lovely little place, but as stated the back is quite tacky. Upon entering the park and turning around the corner, I became instantly intrigued by Dragon Flyer, and personally though of it as a 'Hidden Gem' haha.

Whirlwind was a bit of a let down as it was quite bumpy, but Knightmare totally took me by surprise and I thought it was fantastic.

Ollie

CF Legend
It's great to read a trip report from someone who feels they don't have join in with CF and say it's crap. I enjoyed reading your report and it gave me more insight into the park.
I still need to go there and hopefully when Im closer to the park while Im at uni I can go across for the day.

Some good photos though and Knightmare sounds good fun. :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I do need to get to Camelot soon actually. Before it just implodes on itself...

Nice PTR though, you don't seem to have hated the park that much! :D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Excellent report and I agree entirely with you; dreadful park.

Oh, I just actually read it, silly report ;)

I actually enjoyed the CF-Live there (the year Knightmare opened). It was a sunny day and the company was great. The park is less than mediocre in terms of rides, but that doesn't matter if the weather is right and company is good.

I've done it twice with the family_furie (once before I knew about coaster enthusiasm and once since). Both times I've disliked the place as a parent and general visitor. Cleanliness was the biggest issue, both times I came away wanting to bathe in acid to get rid of the horrid stench the place seemed to carry in the kid's areas (and that back path through the mouldy "medieval village" with the open sewers running through it). The "nice" area was filled with really pushy games stalls. It was a gauntlet (pun intended) trying to get through them without them literally stepping in front of you and thrusting balls into your kids hands (steady, steady)... Tables in the food areas weren't cleaned, toilets were absolutely disgusting and the place was just really badly looked after.

Each of the three visits over the years didn't change that opinion. I'm probably not a great person to review these things as I don't go to parks to go on rides primarily, I go to enjoy a day out and the rides add to that. So I tend to view a park on how good a day it represents away from the rides. The kids have always enjoyed the park though, and I've always been supportive of their shows which are actually very good. It's just as a parent and visitor, there's nothing that drags me back there. I'm offered a free family day out there every year (my Dad runs a bus company in the area, and the employees get a free day out there each year which my dad lets us in on) - we don't do it even for free.

Each to their own though, and Knightmare is a good coaster - probably worth the £13 entry if you have a 2-4-1 on it's own. Though only the once ;)

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I went with the ECC the year knightmare opened - it was just so run down - looked like they hadn't used a litter picker for yonks!

and the less said about the wimpy, the better!

Brookes

Giga Poster
^^Maybe I'm just not as critical of parks as I haven't been to as many. I personally didn't find cleanliness a problem in the park, but the water in the Log Flume was really dirty. And I agree about the section with LOADS of game stalls, you can't escape them at all.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
As I say, as a parent you tend to notice a little more as you're often lower down with them, in kid's play areas and with them in toilets and stuff. Plus they tend to be less picky about being on the ground so again, you tend to notice. I think it was okay up on the top section, or not so bad. It may have been cleaned up too since I last went but lots of the kid's area just stank of piss.

Lofty

CF Legend
Ollie said:
It's great to read a trip report from someone who feels they don't have join in with CF and say it's crap. I enjoyed reading your report and it gave me more insight into the park.
I still need to go there and hopefully when Im closer to the park while Im at uni I can go across for the day.

Some good photos though and Knightmare sounds good fun. :)

Without sounding like a dick. It's not just CF who dislike the park. A LOT of people in the local area dislike the place too. Trust me, when you go, you'll understand :wink: