What's new

California's Great America up for sale... Still/Again.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hmm, maybe that's why they're stripping out Invertigo and shifting it to Dorney. Keep the "good" assets and flog what they can.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
You'd think the Beemers would be the priorities for new homes, in that case...

Sigh.

I'm just glad a made it a couple years ago.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
No... That's not related to what's happening here.

The 49ers, us football team is looking for a new home for a stadium. They want to move to Santa Clara, specifically the site of CGA's parking lot.

CF has tried to block this several ways, including putting the park up for sale to ANYONE, but now they are looking to sell the park directly to the team.

Most likely, the team won't want the park and an agreement will be reached where they buy out CF for a fraction of the park's value, the place gets bulldozed and the stadium gets built.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
rollermonkey said:
The 49ers, us football team is looking for a new home for a stadium. They want to move to Santa Clara, specifically the site of CGA's parking lot.
That's news to me. Terrible news, I would hate to see a theme park turned into something less exciting (although possibly more financially viable). Opry Mills for example.

I'm not very clued up on this, how likely is it? I'd rather see a theme park than a "football" (it's not football, you don't use your feet :p) ground any day of the week.

Looking at Great America's line up, apart from Grizzly and Demon, everything is kind of standard. I hope Kinzel isn't sending a coded message.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
It's terribly likely. They've been trying to work something out with the city for the past few years. The crash of the economy put everything on hold for a while, but now, it looks like the days are numbered.

Snoo

The Legend
Ian said:
I'm not very clued up on this, how likely is it? I'd rather see a theme park than a "football" (it's not football, you don't use your feet :p) ground any day of the week.

Technically you do kick it.. hence 'kickoff'.. ;)

But sad news for the park.. and it's a shame the Niners can't find another place to avoid all this trouble. The park is dieing slowly and unless the Niners want to invest in the park.. I doubt it will survive at this rate.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Niners need a new park, and they set their sights there and won't move it. If it was a bigger park, this would have never been a question, but were looking at a meh park, and a football team trying to get back to its glory days, and it would let them eventually host a Super Bowl (probably) as I believe the new stadium designs call for a retractable roof. Sad, but not worth crying over.

Brookes

Giga Poster
To be honest I really like the park; it was pleasant enough and the rides were ok, Flight Deck being very good. Though it wasn't too busy and is obviously not getting the turnover it requires. Hope it manages to keep going.