What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa | Iron Gwazi | RMC Gwazi | 2022

Matt N

CF Legend
SWE said "All rides under construction won't be opening until 2021" Iron Gwazi, while not open, isn't technically under construction. It's in that weird limbo period.
Ah right, so were they referring to things that still have some way to go (Pantheon, Emperor & Ice Breaker)?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I wonder if they could "soft open" it this year, while leaving the ceremony and marketing for next year? It could still draw in lots of people with word-of-mouth this season, while the tourist influx would happen next year. Or would keeping it open for a while ruin the impact of the official opening?

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
I wonder if they could "soft open" it this year, while leaving the ceremony and marketing for next year? It could still draw in lots of people with word-of-mouth this season, while the tourist influx would happen next year.
That's what I'm expecting.

sarahsmile

Roller Poster
I wonder if they could "soft open" it this year, while leaving the ceremony and marketing for next year? It could still draw in lots of people with word-of-mouth this season, while the tourist influx would happen next year. Or would keeping it open for a while ruin the impact of the official opening?

the crowds are so thin right now, i doubt it would do any damage to a grand opening later down the line. fingers crossed because i only live an hour away!!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's very fast. I don't really know why I'm surprised by that - RMCs always seem to take their elements very fast - but wow.

davidm

Strata Poster
There was a SEAS (SeaWorld Entertainment) Q2 earnings call earlier today where they confirmed 2021 for THE GWAZ* (and the other 2020 coasters ; Ice Breaker / Pantheon / Emperor but I think we'd given up on those 3 already? - maybe not Ice Breaker I s'pose)

Ref ;
Press release here ; https://www.seaworldinvestors.com/n...nd-First-Six-Months-2020-Results/default.aspx (but the confirmation I believe was just on the call rather than in the release)

--

* ref Drunk Riders ;)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
the crowds are so thin right now, i doubt it would do any damage to a grand opening later down the line. fingers crossed because i only live an hour away!!
Read as: Busch will need a big boost in ticket revenue to pay their construction bills. ;)

If you'll spare me a bit of a broader meta moment: I increasingly wonder if we'll see a Steel Vengeance vs. Iron Gwazi (and Zadra, for that matter) comparison unfold that repeats history, comparable to NTG and Iron Rattler back in 2011-2013; one roller coaster longer in length, the other taller/faster, but shorter.

Given the closer proximity of Iron Gwazi and Steel Vengeance than Zadra (aka not half way around the world), the comparison is imminent. But would be fun to dig back to comments when Iron Rattler came out in 2013, and see how discussion back then in comparing to NTG might mirror IG vs. SV.

Markus.Downhill

Mega Poster
There was a SEAS (SeaWorld Entertainment) Q2 earnings call earlier today where they confirmed 2021 for THE GWAZ* (and the other 2020 coasters ; Ice Breaker / Pantheon / Emperor but I think we'd given up on those 3 already? - maybe not Ice Breaker I s'pose)

Ref ;
Press release here ; https://www.seaworldinvestors.com/n...nd-First-Six-Months-2020-Results/default.aspx (but the confirmation I believe was just on the call rather than in the release)

--

* ref Drunk Riders ;)
Nobody better still be saying it could open this year because it WONT. Not even soft openings.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Read as: Busch will need a big boost in ticket revenue to pay their construction bills. ;)

Yet they have enough liquidity where they claim that they're considering acquiring other properties (hotels, water parks, small amusement parks that can be rebranded into Sesame Place), which are typically much more expensive than construction costs for nearly completed (or in Iron Gwazi's case, 100% completed) additions. So riddle me this - do they have money or not?

Markus.Downhill

Mega Poster
E
Yet they have enough liquidity where they claim that they're considering acquiring other properties (hotels, water parks, small amusement parks that can be rebranded into Sesame Place), which are typically much more expensive than construction costs for nearly completed (or in Iron Gwazi's case, 100% completed) additions. So riddle me this - do they have money or not?
Would you expect to see to see a SeaWorld Orlando or Busch gardens Tampa hotel in the next few years? Like Universal and Disney have

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
E

Would you expect to see to see a SeaWorld Orlando or Busch gardens Tampa hotel in the next few years? Like Universal and Disney have
No. I read that as a statement to appease investors regarding the amount of cash they have at hand and suggest that the company is safe from bankruptcy for the foreseeable future. I expect them to finish and open all of their new additions before expanding - if they even intend on expanding at all - no matter how big or small.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Double post, don't care.

Welp. With the latest news regarding Iron Gwazi's delayed opening to 2021, numerous companies pulling out of IAAPA, and the general state of the pandemic in the US (and particularly Florida), we've sadly decided to cancel the last US Live in November. It's been a sad development for all of the planned Lives this year, but we'll do our best to make sure that the 2021 calendar is the most exciting yet!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for the Stateside members who were looking to attend this event later this year.

Markus.Downhill

Mega Poster
Also apologies if anyone thought this was still going to be a thing, like headed into a state with 6,525 new case/day count would be a solid move. ;)
Tbf the cases seem to be going down, they only got 4,000 new cases yesterday which is the lowest since the middle of June (when the cases only just started to go back up)