What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa | Iron Gwazi | RMC Gwazi | 2022

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Yeah, there's only gonna be some parts of the old wood structure, the station and that's about it. Track, trains, layout, almost everything else is brand new.

Matt N

CF Legend
On a random note; is it me, or do all of SeaWorld's announcements seem to be occurring far later this year than in previous years? The reason I ask that is because I'm slightly confused as to why we don't have that many details on RMC Gwazi yet, and SWO and SWSA are also yet to announce their 2020 projects officially. I suppose there is still plenty of time, but rides like Mako (both the Orlando one and the San Diego one), Cobra's Curse and Infinity Falls had all been announced by this point.

RMC Gwazi is looking fantastic, though!

MakoMania

Mega Poster
On a random note; is it me, or do all of SeaWorld's announcements seem to be occurring far later this year than in previous years? The reason I ask that is because I'm slightly confused as to why we don't have that many details on RMC Gwazi yet, and SWO and SWSA are also yet to announce their 2020 projects officially. I suppose there is still plenty of time, but rides like Mako (both the Orlando one and the San Diego one), Cobra's Curse and Infinity Falls had all been announced by this point.

RMC Gwazi is looking fantastic, though!
I struggle to figure out how SeaWorld decide when to announce new projects. For example they have announced projects like Electric Eel in January 2017 for a summer 2018 opening whilst Tigris was only announced in September 2018 for a spring 2019 opening.

If speculation on the Inside Universal forums is to be believed, we may be hearing more about this project next Friday.

Matt N

CF Legend
I struggle to figure out how SeaWorld decide when to announce new projects. For example they have announced projects like Electric Eel in January 2017 for a summer 2018 opening whilst Tigris was only announced in September 2018 for a spring 2019 opening.

If speculation on the Inside Universal forums is to be believed, we may be hearing more about this project next Friday.
Ooh; National Rollercoaster Day! Would certainly make sense; thanks for the info @MakoMania!

cookie

Giga Poster
Isn't that because SWSD has to get approval from the Coastal Commission before they can build anything major and thus their plans have to go public early? We've known about Mako since January while the Orlando and San Antonio 2020 coasters haven't been officially unveiled yet.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
Isn't that because SWSD has to get approval from the Coastal Commission before they can build anything major and thus their plans have to go public early? We've known about Mako since January while the Orlando and San Antonio 2020 coasters haven't been officially unveiled yet.
Perhaps, still they announced Infinity Falls for SWO in April 2017 yet here we are in August 2019 still waiting for 2020 news. I'd be interested in knowing their thought process, maybe it's to do with how much nearby competitiors have to announce.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Perhaps, still they announced Infinity Falls for SWO in April 2017 yet here we are in August 2019 still waiting for 2020 news. I'd be interested in knowing their thought process, maybe it's to do with how much nearby competitiors have to announce.
I mean it's obvious right?

They opened Tigris in March. Why would you announce anything for the next year in the summer season and drive away potential business. Now that the busy season of summer is gradually coming to a close, an announcement is getting closer, but it still would make sense to wait to announce Euphrates until after the Halloween event.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MakoMania

Mega Poster

They opened Tigris in March. Why would you announce anything for the next year in the summer season and drive away potential business. Now that the busy season of summer is gradually coming to a close, an announcement is getting closer, but it still would make sense to wait to announce Euphrates until after the Halloween event.

But they've announced Pantheon during the summer, so it's not really that obvious how they decide.

The whole company seems to be quite erratic when it comes to attraction announcements. With Six Flags/Cedar Fair you know it's generally going to be Aug/Sept but with SeaWorld it is much less clear.

Last edited:

Jcoasters

Mega Poster

This makes total sense. 99% of the people who would travel more than a few hours for this are enthusiasts, who already know what's going on.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Unlike Six Flags and Cedar Fair - who prefer to announce their additions for the coming year before starting on ride installation (supports, track, station, etc.) in order to let the public know what they're working on, SeaWorld takes a different approach. They let the mystery and intrigue build up for months - although the unfortunate is that nearly all of their new additions get leaked well before their announcements - and after the busy summer season is over they announce their projects. I'm sure that many of the general public at SeaWorld San Antonio are aware that a roller coaster is being built there, as the approximately 90-100 foot tall lift hill is easily visible, as are the SeaWorld Orlando general public when they see the significant land clearing behind Mango Joe's; and that seems to be what SeaWorld wants. They want to put the construction sites in full view to capture the curiosity of the public and give them a desire to return to their parks in the coming years, just to experience that major new coaster that they've already seen under construction.

Matt N

CF Legend
Unlike Six Flags and Cedar Fair - who prefer to announce their additions for the coming year before starting on ride installation (supports, track, station, etc.) in order to let the public know what they're working on, SeaWorld takes a different approach. They let the mystery and intrigue build up for months - although the unfortunate is that nearly all of their new additions get leaked well before their announcements - and after the busy summer season is over they announce their projects. I'm sure that many of the general public at SeaWorld San Antonio are aware that a roller coaster is being built there, as the approximately 90-100 foot tall lift hill is easily visible, as are the SeaWorld Orlando general public when they see the significant land clearing behind Mango Joe's; and that seems to be what SeaWorld wants. They want to put the construction sites in full view to capture the curiosity of the public and give them a desire to return to their parks in the coming years, just to experience that major new coaster that they've already seen under construction.
SeaWorld have announced in this way in the past; Mako and Cobra's Curse were both announced in May 2015 for 2016! Although on the other hand, Tempesto wasn't announced until March 2015 and opened in April 2015...

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It appears to be a combination of building hype and interest while avoiding overshadowing the first of back to back additions as well as considering when other parks in the chain announce as well. Like @tomahawk stated, they're not going to announce what Gwazi is turning into when they're still running on hype built by Tigris. With regard to the San Diego additions, they need to account for California's relatively strict regulations and announce accordingly to achieve all necessary approvals. Again, it's been clear that they're spreading out their announcements to maintain hype - they just announced Pantheon so let's give it at least a couple weeks before demanding the rest of the announcements.

Schoup

Roller Poster
Unlike Six Flags and Cedar Fair - who prefer to announce their additions for the coming year before starting on ride installation (supports, track, station, etc.) in order to let the public know what they're working on, SeaWorld takes a different approach. They let the mystery and intrigue build up for months - although the unfortunate is that nearly all of their new additions get leaked well before their announcements -

You mean how Steel Vengeance was being worked on from the fall before till annoucement the next August. How Yukon Striker was being worked on since Dec 2017 for Aug 2018 announcement. You mean how KI coaster has been worked on since the spring. Yes, CF announces their additions before starting ...oh wait..maybe not so clearly all the time as you pretend it to be,

Last edited:

MakoMania

Mega Poster
let's give it at least a couple weeks before demanding the rest of the announcements.
Don't think anyone was demanding any announcements haha, just curious as how they work timings out as someone who's followed the company for years and years it's really random.