What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa Future

Matt N

CF Legend
Out of interest, when is Sand Serpent due to close?

I’m headed to Florida from 10th-24th June and am currently missing the credit, so I hope to get it while I’m there!

SerpentRevenge

Roller Poster
Whoa, what? I've literally never heard of this and I've been at least observing BGT rumors and goings on since 2018. If you're at liberty to discuss, what was planned for the rebuild? And how did it factor into Kumba's fate?
Surveying was done around the existing Congo River Rapids bridge studying an Infinity Falls-style rebuild for the ride. It has pretty low Guest Satisfaction scores, and low capacity as well. It would've potentially involved changes to Kumba- those of which I am not too sure about. From what I've heard, it's off the table now and not being considered as an immediate project.

For what it's worth, this was also during the time period when a Skywarp was also being considered for Pantopia (replacing the same rides the 2024 Vekoma is), so plans can (and do!) change.

Last edited:

SerpentRevenge

Roller Poster
Out of interest, when is Sand Serpent due to close?

I’m headed to Florida from 10th-24th June and am currently missing the credit, so I hope to get it while I’m there!
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. I'd heard both "early April" (which obviously didn't happen) and "early August". Personally, I'd imagine it makes more sense to keep the four rides that are closing open through the summer season.

Last edited:

SerpentRevenge

Roller Poster
Soo will the 2025 "Iron Gwazi" project be the finally fabled Giga!?
That's the impression I am under right now, assuming permitting with the City of Tampa and the Federal Aviation Authority goes through properly. There's been quite a few different proposals for what a Giga coaster could look like- concepts from both B&M and Intamin have been looked at.

Matt N

CF Legend
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. I'd heard both "early April" (which obviously didn't happen) and "early August". Personally, I'd imagine it makes more sense to keep the four rides that are closing open through the summer season.
Do you reckon they’d announce it beforehand? Or would it just close out of the blue with no prior announcement?

A giga is certainly an exciting development, though!

SerpentRevenge

Roller Poster
Hopefully a Fury-like one 😇
Yeah, it would be quite nice. I honestly think a Fury-like Giga would really put BGT on the track to one of the best coaster lineups out there. Beyond that, just need a good old-style woodie, a coaster with a vertical lift, something indoor, and then hopefully a water-based coaster, and a couple other things. That's a discussion for another thread though.

ViperGTS500

Roller Poster
That's the impression I am under right now, assuming permitting with the City of Tampa and the Federal Aviation Authority goes through properly. There's been quite a few different proposals for what a Giga coaster could look like- concepts from both B&M and Intamin have been looked at.
Concepts from both of them that the park has looked at or fan/enthusiast made concepts?

Matt N

CF Legend
If Busch Gardens Tampa does build a giga coaster for 2025, do we reckon they’d go for B&M or Intamin?

If I were a theme park choosing a manufacturer for a giga coaster, I’d certainly pick B&M. Their three giga coasters were built a lot more recently, and they have seemingly had less problems than Intamin’s duo of gigas. Intimidator 305 in particular needed a lot of modification, and I gather that it’s quite polarising.

With that being said, Intamin have changed a lot since Millennium Force and Intimidator 305 were built, and might SeaWorld want to differentiate Busch Gardens’ ride from Mako, a B&M Hyper Coaster at a sister park that has already operated for 7 years?

In terms of relationship, it’s hard to tell which one SeaWorld would pick, as they seemingly have a very good working relationship with both. They worked with B&M on Emperor not that long ago, and they’re currently entrusting B&M with building a prototype ride in Pipeline. They worked with Intamin on Pantheon not that long ago, and they are also currently working with Intamin on DarKoaster and Arctic Rescue.

SerpentRevenge

Roller Poster
If Busch Gardens Tampa does build a giga coaster for 2025, do we reckon they’d go for B&M or Intamin?
Honestly, I don't know which concept was chosen. Personally, I'm hoping for a B&M. I certainly believe that reliability and capacity will help the park.

In terms of relationship, it’s hard to tell which one SeaWorld would pick, as they seemingly have a very good working relationship with both.
I don't think park-level beliefs matter as much in determining new additions, but I am under the impression that the park-level management isn't particularly yapping at the thought of working with Intamin at the moment, given the Falcon's Fury saga.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
It is worth noting, however, BGW's 2024 coaster project has been delayed to 2025 at this point, so it is possible- albeit unlikely- that it goes to BGW.
OK I overlooked this but - do you know, or are allowed to share, anything regarding what the heck BGW 2025 is besides a.hyper? Is it an RMC, or is it Mini Spire, or something else? (And what happened to Drachen Spire anyway?)

SerpentRevenge

Roller Poster
OK I overlooked this but - do you know, or are allowed to share, anything regarding what the heck BGW 2025 is besides a.hyper? Is it an RMC, or is it Mini Spire, or something else? (And what happened to Drachen Spire anyway?)
I don't have a ton of information on BGW 2025, but last I heard, an RMC Hybrid concept- "Iron Drachen" as I've been jokingly referring to it myself- is what is happening. As for the Spire project, I have no clue to be completely honest. I know a concept like that was one of the concepts presented for a Giga in Tampa, but I'm fairly certain that's not what will ultimately end up happening in TPA (or VA, for that matter).

ETA: BGW 2025 should be RMC's IBOX model, similar to Iron Gwazi. I didn't say that in the initial message.

ViperGTS500

Roller Poster
I don't have a ton of information on BGW 2025, but last I heard, an RMC Hybrid concept- "Iron Drachen" as I've been jokingly referring to it myself- is what is happening. As for the Spire project, I have no clue to be completely honest. I know a concept like that was one of the concepts presented for a Giga in Tampa, but I'm fairly certain that's not what will ultimately end up happening in TPA (or VA, for that matter).

ETA: BGW 2025 should be RMC's IBOX model, similar to Iron Gwazi. I didn't say that in the initial message.
So assumingly an Intamin Giga Spire concept and a traditional B&M Giga concept were presented to BGT?

SerpentRevenge

Roller Poster
Update: A new "Response Letter" has been posted from the Civil Engineers on this project to the City of Tampa, without much new information.

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 6.55.38 PM.png

However, this does provide some new information about the name of the project- Project Halcyon, which may be worth adding to the title of this thread. I'm working on gaining access to the "revised sheets" of the demolition plan referenced within the letter.