What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa closing Phoenix

Jarret Stroud

Roller Poster
In the Loop has posted pictures of Busch Gardens Tampa removing their Looping Starship ride named The Phoenix from the part. I don't know if it will be relocated but I doubt it will. This will mean that Kings Dominion is the only park in North America to still have a looping starship ride after Carowinds closed and remove theirs earlier this year. Only 4 looping starship rides are still currently open. How long do you think Berserker at Kings Dominion last? Do you see Intamin building more in the future?

Bathtub Gin

Roller Poster
Visited Busch this past weekend with my wife and 11 month old son. Have very fond memories of riding Phoenix with my dad as a kid the year Kumba opened. I was terrified. The moment is seared into my memory. He brings it up to this day. This past Saturday, we were heading for the pretzel stand when I noticed it, and upon second glance, saw that it was being unceremoniously dismantled. Had no idea. Wife got annoyed that I just sort of drifted past the pretzel place, towards it to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I've been to Busch many times since that ride with my dad, and have ridden Phoenix only once since then, but it was sad to see.

The pretzel stand sucks, nowadays, btw.

Last edited:

fartsalad

Roller Poster
I'd replace it with either a Zamperla Giant Discovery or Intamin Gyro Swing
2024 attraction (after Serengeti Flyer) is going next to (or possibly) replacing Kumba. There are survey indications in a considerable plot of land. I stay away from ridiculous rumors but..

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
2024 attraction (after Serengeti Flyer) is going next to (or possibly) replacing Kumba. There are survey indications in a considerable plot of land. I stay away from ridiculous rumors but..
Alright, but a real question regarding that Kumba closure rumor - Did it close on November 1 last year like Screamscape said or was it open that day?

iwilliam_23

Roller Poster
We still don't have any permits yet, but that sounds like the Hyper/Giga concept that has been talked about near the retention ponds...

iwilliam_23

Roller Poster
Is this related to the survey markers in the Jungala area of the park?

fartsalad

Roller Poster
Is this related to the survey markers in the Jungala area of the park?
It may be in conjunction. I rely on few contacts I have from when I worked for Seaworld Parks& Entertainment Offices years ago. What I know for certain is their plans are laid to capitalize on the congo area.

iwilliam_23

Roller Poster
It may be in conjunction. I rely on few contacts I have from when I worked for Seaworld Parks& Entertainment Offices years ago. What I know for certain is their plans are laid to capitalize on the congo area.
I just think it's super weird how we don't have any permits at this point, but I anticipate that will come soon. Maybe April, during the Kumba 30th we may hear at least something?

fartsalad

Roller Poster
Yes. Either they'll make a reveal of plans for the ride at BGT or the announcement for the ride at SWO depending on post opening consumer surveys and trends.

1 coaster and 1 ride for each park by 2025. Only one of the four will surprise most.

fartsalad

Roller Poster
Sounds like Busch's coaster would be that one of the four.

Busch Gardens- Ride: replacement for Phoenix (Zamperla in 2024?)
SeaWorld- Ride: One of the expected flat rides (2025?)
SeaWorld- Coaster: This Multi-Launch Thing (2024?)
Busch Gardens- Coaster: Surprise (2025

I don't have all the pieces put together but this is a clever and pretty consistent outlook.