What's new

Blackgang Chine To Close Cliffhanger Coaster

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Sounds like the Cliffhanger Coaster at Blackgang Chine is on its way out. But in good news it sounds like it will be replaced by something new next year.

Dominic Wray, Parks Director, has said:

“Cliffhanger has thrilled guests for almost 20 years, providing a new level of themed attraction that the Island had never seen before its arrival. We’ve loved watching you all experience the stunning views from every angle that Cliffhanger has had to offer, and we hope you all get the opportunity to experience the breath-taking scenery one last time before it leaves the park at the end of the season!

“Although Cliffhanger may be taking its final trip around the tracks, we are pleased to announce a new ride will be joining us in 2023, ready for our 180th anniversary celebrations. Details will be coming very soon, but we can assure everyone it’ll have your heads spinning just at the sight of it and we can’t wait to showcase this next year!”

the ride will close for good on the 30th of October.

That'll be sad as I love Blackgang Chine, but then that is for my childhood memories rather than Cliffhanger. When I first visited the best ride was a roundabout! It was one of those wooden ones that absolutely flies around though!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Shame. I had plans to visit this year that got shelved, hopefully the replacement is substantial enough to justify the expenses getting to the island.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Shame. I had plans to visit this year that got shelved, hopefully the replacement is substantial enough to justify the expenses getting to the island.
I dated a girl who lived on the Island for about a year. That Ferry is extortionate and bled me dry It will have to be something substantial to make me go back to
The Island.jpg

Niles

Giga Poster
According to this article, Cliffhanger is going to be replaced by a 'large' Zamperla Discovery.
Nice addition for the little park being a decent flat ride, it is a shame it wont be a coaster if this comes to be though.

However with wishful thinking it would be sweet if this was part of a multi buy from Zamperla and we see more come over the next few years including a coaster of some sort.

I have to be honest and state that this looks very out of place at Blackgang and certainly not who the park is usually aimed at. I suppose it's something for the older kids to enjoy whilst your younger siblings are in the cowboy town (which at 40 years old I still loved running around with my kids - I probably should grow up).

rob666

Hyper Poster
Something interesting to note is that the ride isn't on Cliffhanger's footprint, will be interesting to see what will go in the coaster's spot.
Hasn't that spot started slipping down the valley?
Been a constant problem over the years, the original Chine and footpath has long gone.

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
Fond memories of this place, had many family holidays there in the 90s. Even then this place was sliding into the sea. I'm sure we have footage of some poor souls house scattered down the slope taken during one trip. I'm surprised there's anything left of the park.

Would love to go back to the island for nostalgia purposes, but it's such a family orientated place I just cba. Same reason I haven't been back to visit the blossoming Paultons. It's not appealing to me as a "selfish childless Millenial".

thepoweroften

Roller Poster
Only just heard about this! Fond childhood memories of the Cliffhanger and actually went back for a nostalgia trip with friends over the summer - glad I got to ride it one last time then. I’m sort of gutted it’s not being replaced with another coaster (especially as I’m not a big fan of spinning flat rides so will probably give it a miss myself lol).

Also, IMO the Zamperla Discovery is a bit of an odd choice for Blackgang - I live locally and it’s very much known around here as a park for YOUNG kids and families, plus they already have a modest but decent little drop tower. Feels like a weirdly extreme ride to have at a park of its kind unless they’re planning on changing their target market significantly. Baffled tbh x