What's new

Biggest Amusement Industry Achievement(s) of the Decade

RCF

Strata Poster
Ok, I'm not exactly meaning to copy off TPR, but I thought this was a good topic and could lead to some good discussions. It's right what it says on the tin. What do you think is the biggest achievement of this decade? Once again you don't need to just list one, I just happened to say something that sounded like I meant one. Common sense people.

My personal view on achievements:

Development of coasters and records (surpassing 400 ft, surpassing 100 mph etc.)
New technologies being introduced (hydraulic launches, cable lift)
Development of companies such as GCI and GG
New kinds of coasters (flyers [yes I know the concept was introduced in the 90's but I mean the actual introduction of them), 4D coasters, Plug N' Plays etc.)

And my last one until I can think of more: The rapid development of parks in countries like China.

So what do YOU think are the biggest achievements? DISCUSS!!

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I think it has to be the impact of launches. Mainly hydraulic (despite the problems that him every one of them in the first year of existence). The sheer size of coasters couldn't financially be done without it.

Also Gravity Group and GCI, the wooden coaster is almost reborn.

marc

CF Legend
For me it has to be the Harry Potter ride. It is just a fantastic ride system that offeres something totally new.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^^Yes, the launched coasters have really opened up an endless supply of incredible concepts.

Where do you start with a topic like this? Like I said in the other topic, I don't think I'd be able to pick out specific examples and then narrow it down to one best achievement. Anyway, here's some of the best for me:

-Development in wooden coasters must be up there. I mean, who'd have thought we'd have coasters like the Plug 'n' Plays, the Gravity Groups, the GCIs ten years ago? Like Tom said, wood has been completely reborn. It's fantastic.
-Launch technology without question. It's allowed so many great ride innovations. From rides like Maverick where the launch is used to give te train speed without any monstrous lift-hill to rides like Kingda Ka where the height and speed would have been virtually impossible with a conventional lift-hill. I don't know if we've hit the limit with launched coasters now though, I can't see a park investing in a 450ft+ coaster anytime soon, so all that launches are left to do now is carry on as they were.
-Coaster types? Not so much for me. Yes there have been a lot of great innovations, but not many have revolutionised coasters.

So basically nothing 'new' that no-one has discussed before, but there are my comments on the matters...

I'm looking forward to what the next decade will bring, if there is as much innovation and development again then we're in for one hell of a ride (excuse the awful pun!).

Brookes

Giga Poster
I agree with what was said above about launch technologies; they have created rides higher and faster than ever seen before and been able to create new layouts. For me though the biggest achievement of the decade was the 4D coaster, yes it was a disaster at first, but now it's just sheer brilliance. It is just totally different from anything else. I think B&M flyers must be up there and also Thirteen's dropping track. Wooden coaster layouts are now crazy compared to before so new woodies have also been a big achievement. The vertical lift hill and also more than vertical drop, which I think were also achieved in this decade, must also be worth a mention?

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I'd agree with the rebirth of woodies.

GCI and Gravity Group have really been the stars for me. Every park wants one, and they have proved they can provide a 'family' coaster (in some instances) that really is for for anyone of any age.

I think the amount of new wooden coasters made, as well as launches, have been the two biggest achievements of the decade. Wooden coasters, despite being able to "do less" with them, should never go out of style just because steel coasters are more modern. They're amazing, and it makes me happy that so many parks have been building amazing ones. Launches have just, as someone previously said, opened up so many opportunities for coasters, and there have been so many awesome ones built.

Lofty

CF Legend
The one achievement that really sticks out to me is very vague but I hope you totally understand where I am heading from. It's as simple as this; Whatever designers imagine can, and does, happen. I mean, who'd have thought we now have major inverting coasters with only lap bar restraints (X-Cars most notably), Coasters above the height of 300ft, Speeds in excess of 100mph. I mean the list can literally go on and on.

Another thought I like is how parks are diverting away from the usual drop, hills, return back to the station. It's become a real rat race for uniqueness.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I think the biggest achievement is the rebirth of wooden coasters, as already mentioned. Although I don't consider Plug n' plays to be in this category. Yes, they're innovative, intense, and insanely fun, but if they were really an achievement, there would be a lot more than just the 4 we have now.

nealbie

CF Legend
Bit early for topics like this isn't it? We've got 9 years to go! Silly Americans, when will they learn? :p